An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evolution

Livin_the_MASS

It's wrong to talk about [i]the[/i] theory of evolution because there are many different theor[i]ies[/i] of evolution, some making more sense than others. Some would claim that we evolved from single celled organisms. Others would just say that modern man evolved from a "lesser" man (with really long names I can't remember right now). Evidence for the latter theories is, obviously, much better than for the former. I mean, we have the bodies of some of these earlier men (and women, the oldest one we have I'm pretty sure is a woman/girl).

Edited by p0lar_bear

CreepyCrawler

couldn't God have just 'evolved' animals through a long period of God-time and THEN breathed into the nostrils of man, making him human and set apart? isn't it our souls and not our bodies that make us distinct from humans?

Livin_the_MASS

Man was made in the image of God, He created us for Himself, Man is not made in the image of animals!

We are made for God for we are made in His image, so the answer is NO!

God Bless
Jason

there is no evidence at all that those lesser men eventually became us. we know for a fact that there are many different human-like species. that doesn't mean they evolved from each other. the lesser human species from way back when that they have fossils of are species that became extinct. the only human-like species that have survived till now have been us and monkeys. the ones that were kinda like monkeys and kinda like humans became extinct, they didn't turn into us.

and i would like to thank Jurassic Park for giving me this train of thought. for i noticed he theorized that the dinosaurs evolved into birds, and i was like nuh uh! dinosaurs became extinct, but there was another species that had same type of bone structure and stuff but they were birds, and they didn't become extinct like the dinosaurs did. it's quite simple.

[u]timeline[/u]

Dinosaurs
*----I
Birds
]]]]]]*--------------------------------------------------->
lesser human-like species (homo erectus et al.)
]]]]]]*-------------I
monkeys
]]]]]]*--------------------------------------------->
humans
]]]]]]]]]]]]*--------------------------------------------->

] = time before they were created
* = they were created
- = time when they lived
I = when they went extinct
> = still alive present day

animals were created before us. the lesser humanoid like species were created before us.

(and MAYBE Adam & Eve lived in the Guarden during the time of the Dinosaurs [there was no death for humanity then so that couldve been a long time], and God had them go extinct when He kicked us out so we'd be safe... wow, we're responsible for the death of the dinosaurs. but seriously, i could see that, it'd be a neat story of God's great love for humanity that he wiped out all the dinosaurs for us, well except the lock-ness monster)

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]Genesis
Chapter 1
1 In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth,
2 the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss, while a mighty wind swept over the waters.
Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
God saw how good the light was. God then separated the light from the darkness.
3 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." Thus evening came, and morning followed--the first day.
Then God said, "Let there be a dome in the middle of the waters, to separate one body of water from the other." And so it happened:
God made the dome, and it separated the water above the dome from the water below it.
God called the dome "the sky." Evening came, and morning followed--the second day.
Then God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered into a single basin, so that the dry land may appear." And so it happened: the water under the sky was gathered into its basin, and the dry land appeared.
God called the dry land "the earth," and the basin of the water he called "the sea." God saw how good it was.
Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with its seed in it." And so it happened:
the earth brought forth every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with its seed in it. God saw how good it was.
Evening came, and morning followed--the third day.
Then God said: "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky, to separate day from night. Let them mark the fixed times, the days and the years,
and serve as luminaries in the dome of the sky, to shed light upon the earth." And so it happened:
God made the two great lights, the greater one to govern the day, and the lesser one to govern the night; and he made the stars.
God set them in the dome of the sky, to shed light upon the earth,
to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. God saw how good it was.
Evening came, and morning followed--the fourth day.
Then God said, "Let the water teem with an abundance of living creatures, and on the earth let birds fly beneath the dome of the sky." And so it happened:
God created the great sea monsters and all kinds of swimming creatures with which the water teems, and all kinds of winged birds. God saw how good it was,
and God blessed them, saying, "Be fertile, multiply, and fill the water of the seas; and let the birds multiply on the earth."
Evening came, and morning followed--the fifth day.
Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth all kinds of living creatures: cattle, creeping things, and wild animals of all kinds." And so it happened:
God made all kinds of wild animals, all kinds of cattle, and all kinds of creeping things of the earth. God saw how good it was.
4 Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground."
God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them.
God blessed them, saying: "Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the living things that move on the earth."
God also said: "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food;
and to all the animals of the land, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food." And so it happened.
God looked at everything he had made, and he found it very good. Evening came, and morning followed--the sixth day.[/quote]

This is the first story of creation look at the order! Good point!

But man was made for God we were made in His image not monkeys. You can see the above God says let US, (The Holy Trinity) make man in OUR IMAGE and LIKENESS. The DIVINE IMAGE He created them,.....male and female.

God Bless
Jason

CreepyCrawler

but would it be possible that the biological world and system and cells (amazing things) that God created was a good basis for ALL life and the only difference in forms is the way they're put together? monkeys aren't in the image of God, humans are. i totally agree. but i think you can still make the arguement that God took the monkey, tweaked it into the actual image of God, and then gave us souls. God can do whatever He wants. why can't He have done that?

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Apr 30 2004, 04:13 PM'] but would it be possible that the biological world and system and cells (amazing things) that God created was a good basis for ALL life and the only difference in forms is the way they're put together? monkeys aren't in the image of God, humans are. i totally agree. but i think you can still make the arguement that God took the monkey, tweaked it into the actual image of God, and then gave us souls. God can do whatever He wants. why can't He have done that? [/quote]
:wall: I love you brother!

You are like talking to my brother-in-law! haha!

It doesn't go with Sacred Scripture, It clearly says He formed man from the clay of the earth, not cells that devoloped into monkey into man.

I agree God can do what ever He wants, but He is Perfect, so no tweak was needed.

In the love of Christ
Jason

CreepyCrawler

hey, the pope says i can believe in evolution if i want to as long as i believe that God's in charge, He had a plan, and made us (and only us) in His image -- which i do. i just think that evolution was part of His plan, which doesn't subtract from any of the essentials of genesis. it just fills in some blanks. so stop banging your head into the wall, i'm sure it hurts :)
like i said, it can be either or and it won't affect our love for Christ.

crusader1234

Hey sorry I don't have the patience to read all those posts but...

1) St. Augustine believed something akin to God creating a 'seed' material form which evolution took place

2) The creation stories should not be taken literally, people... there are TWO stories!!! There is no possible way we can discern which one to believe, thus making them historically incorrect one way or another.

I don't believe in evolution, that one thing evolves into a completely different species. But I do believe in adaptation.

i understand that you [b]can[/b] believe in it as long as you keep the Divine Creator in the center, and acknowledge that He lovingly made every detail the way He wanted it.

i just don't believe that. it makes much more sense to me that other human-like species have gone extinct. if someone could prove to me otherwise, i'd be glad to hear it... but till then i'm defining those fossils as a completely different species that went extinct way back when.

anyway, while not taking those stories literally, you DO haveto believe Adam and Eve were real people, lived in paradise, sinned against God, and fell. now was it them actually eating a piece of fruit? possibly, but it could have been anything God had banned them from doing and they disobeyed. you cannot reconcile Catholic Theology if you take out original sin.

what do you think about Adam and Eve being in the Garden when the Dinosaurs were roming the earth, then God hadta kill off the dinosaurs when He kicked us out? :cool:

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Apr 30 2004, 07:34 PM']i understand that you [b]can[/b] believe in it as long as you keep the Divine Creator in the center, and acknowledge that He lovingly made every detail the way He wanted it. 

i just don't believe that.  it makes much more sense to me that other human-like species have gone extinct.  if someone could prove to me otherwise, i'd be glad to hear it... but till then i'm defining those fossils as a completely different species that went extinct way back when. 

anyway, while not taking those stories literally, you DO haveto believe Adam and Eve were real people, lived in paradise, sinned against God, and fell.  now was it them actually eating a piece of fruit?  possibly, but it could have been anything God had banned them from doing and they disobeyed.  you cannot reconcile Catholic Theology if you take out original sin.

what do you think about Adam and Eve being in the Garden when the Dinosaurs were roming the earth, then God hadta kill off the dinosaurs when He kicked us out?  :cool:[/quote]
I think dinosaurs were hairy not reptile skin :popcorn:

When I was little and learned about dinosaus and how they all died but scientists didn't know how, I used to think that the dinosaurs died in The flood :) I like your idea (before Adam and Eve leaving the garden) better! ^_^

I remember reading somewhere taht there are different evolutionary beliefs, one- Darwinian evolution is the one that people think of when they think of evolution. This is the one that says there is no cause, everything is random survival of the fittest stuff, which makes no sense.