An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning Contemplative Carmelite Life

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Hello,
I have felt called to be a nun since I was about 7 years old, but in my case, that does not mean there have not been off moments and bumps in the road along the way. When I was around 9 I decided that I didn't want to be a nun anymore because of my friends who weren't too keen on the idea. But when I was 11 I went to a summer camp run by lay consecrated women and by the end of the week, I was dead-set on the road to religious life. Within several months I went from thinking I was called to lay-consecrated life to wanting to be a discalced Carmelite nun. I have corresponded with a Mother Superior of a Carmelite Monastary, and I am just about completely in love with the Carmelite way of life, and believe that this is my vocation. I had to surrender to the idea of leaving everything to devote my life completely to prayer, and actually the rap "Purpose, Calling, Vocation" by Akalyte on the Massmatics V2 cd helped me surrender to that.
I started this discussion to ask for any suggestions from people about preparing for the Carmelite life, and any information about being a live-in and what it is like. I ask for prayers on my vocation journey as well.

In Cordis Mariae,
Claire

Welcome, Claire! While I can't be much help with the live-in experiences, I believed for a long time that I was called to the Discalced Carmelite Monastery. I was in contact with several, especially the Buffalo Carmel in NY and the Carmel in Terre Haute, IN. I finally came to the realization that God was calling me to a different way of life, so I looked into other orders, but still hold the Carmelites in high esteem. I think I had a bit of a love affair with them because, everytime I saw a Carmelite website, I thought I might be called there! But the Lord opened my eyes and helped me shed that romantic view.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack your thread. I am so glad that you have decided to come here! I hope you find the monastery you are called to. I would highly recommend contacting the Carmel in Buffalo, NY ([url="http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/Buffalo.htm"]Discalced Carmelite Monastery of the Little Flower[/url]). Their Mother Prioress is such a dear (Mother Miriam). Even if you aren't called there, she will help you discern! I miss talking to her so much. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

CLAIRE, once I get back from my live-in at Lafayette Carmel I am blabbing here first.

Right now I am actually an aspirant with that same Carmel. I'll, God-willing, be entering after high school. Here are Dee's prime tips for discernment (from experience) :[list=1]
[*]DON'T FOLLOW YOUR OWN WILL. This will lead to to fail. In all ways.
[*]Find a spiritual director. Preferably a priest or religious since they have discerned. Mine is Fr.Long. :) AMAZING GUY.
[*]Pray, pray, pray. Best forms of prayer (opinion): The Mass, the Holy Rosary of the BVM, Lectio Divina, and Eucharistic Adoration. These will help you discover the Will of God.
[*]Find a supportive group of peers. This helps more than you know.
[*]Visit other communities to see other aspects of religious life. Look at active communities {Nashville Dominicans}, missionary communities {Missionaries of Charity}, and other groups with various aspotolates.
[*]Read lots of books. {Story of a Soul, Lives of the Saints, encyclicals on the religious life, etc. Those sorts of things.}
[*]Stick with phatmass. I can't even begin to express how much Chat and the Phorum has helped me.
[/list]
Know of my prayers for you, my fellow Carmelite-discerner. :) Pax tecum

AND WATCH THIS VIDEO.

Behold, our future priests:

[url="http://youtu.be/sLTTpyM029w"]http://youtu.be/sLTTpyM029w[/url]

this is so RAZZLE DAZZLE. Yeah, philter didn't do that. I DID. haha

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319257097' post='2325026']
AND WATCH THIS VIDEO.

[/quote]

:|

rotfl

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319260613' post='2325044']
I'm proud to say I know all of those seminarians. OK, I'm done with my tiny hijack.....
[/quote]

Really?!? That's so KEWL! You are going to have a lot of future priests to pray for when you become a Carmelite! ;)

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319260613' post='2325044']
I'm proud to say I know all of those seminarians. OK, I'm done with my tiny hijack.....
[/quote]

I would be proud too!! :smile4: They are razzle badazzle!!! :priest: May I ask what diocese are they from? I am soo showing this to my bro and friends :hehe:

And welcome, FutureCarmeliteClaire! Another future Carmelite here :pray:

Strictlyinkblot

Hi, welcome to Phatmass. As a fellow hopeful carmelite may I suggest you ask whatever questions you want. I don't know if there's any Carmelite monasteries near you. If there are email them and tell them you're discerning a vocation and ask if you can set up a time to come and meet them. I've always found that they're open to questions, even ones that I regard as really silly.

May I also suggest that as the171 says, look at other communities. I started my discernment a number of years ago looking at the Loreto sisters. Then I seriously considered Benedictines before being yanked towards Carmelites (with a few other detours along the way). There are active carmelite communities such as Carmelites of the Aged and Infirm and new communities which have adopted the Carmelite spirituality.

Although I would definite go with what the171 says as regards reading and prayer some good fiction about the monastic way of life can be helpful as well.

'Amata Means Beloved' Not sure of the author but she's a Dominican nun.

'In this House of Brede' Rumer Godden

'Lying Awake' Mark Salzman Beautifully written, not all that accurate about the detail of the Carmelite life, a lot of his information seems to come from pre Vatican 2.

And ask questions on the forum. Lots of people like Nunsense and Faithcecilia have vast experience of the Carmelite life

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319269758' post='2325060']
Hi, welcome to Phatmass. As a fellow hopeful carmelite may I suggest you ask whatever questions you want. I don't know if there's any Carmelite monasteries near you. If there are email them and tell them you're discerning a vocation and ask if you can set up a time to come and meet them. I've always found that they're open to questions, even ones that I regard as really silly.

May I also suggest that as the171 says, look at other communities. I started my discernment a number of years ago looking at the Loreto sisters. Then I seriously considered Benedictines before being yanked towards Carmelites (with a few other detours along the way). There are active carmelite communities such as Carmelites of the Aged and Infirm and new communities which have adopted the Carmelite spirituality.

Although I would definite go with what the171 says as regards reading and prayer some good fiction about the monastic way of life can be helpful as well.

[b]'Amata Means Beloved' Not sure of the author but she's a Dominican nun.[/b]

'In this House of Brede' Rumer Godden

'Lying Awake' Mark Salzman Beautifully written, not all that accurate about the detail of the Carmelite life, a lot of his information seems to come from pre Vatican 2.

And ask questions on the forum. Lots of people like Nunsense and Faithcecilia have vast experience of the Carmelite life
[/quote]

[i]Amata Means Beloved[/i] was written by Sr. Mary Catharine of the Summit Dominicans. She posts here occasionally (most recently, about the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary). ;)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319270784' post='2325065']

[i]Amata Means Beloved[/i] was written by Sr. Mary Catharine of the Summit Dominicans. She posts here occasionally (most recently, about the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary). ;)
[/quote]

Thx, I knew I recognised her name from somewhere

Welcome, Claire

Joy and peace to you as you set out on the path of discernment . . .

As you get to know Carmel in 3-D (meaning, in flesh and blood communities) you will begin to see how Carmels can differ significantly, one from another. If Carmel is to be your path to God, eventually you will be drawn and lead to a particular kind of Carmelite life and then to a particular Carmel. For Teresian Carmels, a good way to get a basic understanding of the way the life is lived is to know the Constitutions the community follows, whether 1990 or 1991 (see Chiqui's now famous :spike: PM intro to this subject: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/58540-the-discalced-carmelite-nuns-1990-1991-constitutions/"]http://www.phatmass....-constitutions/[/url]).

It is always a sad discovery for lovers of Carmel to learn that there even are two sets of Constitutions. I have been heartened, at least, in my experience with Carmel thus far, to see that 1990 and 1991 communities, despite their real differences, are not factions on opposing sides but are actually amicably disposed toward and supportive of one another. This means the "face of Carmel" is not so "fractured" as some portray it. Although there are real differences and these differences are codified in the Constitutions, in the hearts of the daughters of St. Teresa, there remains a sisterly bond of love.

So glad you found your way to VS - you'll be well taken care of here!

Edited by Aya Sophia

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Wow, thank you everyone! It is absolutely amazing to see that there are more people trying to prepare for this way of life that I love so much. As I was reading, I started crying a little because I couldn't believe that there are all these Carmelite hopefuls out there just like me! :)
[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319257097' post='2325026']
AND WATCH THIS VIDEO.

[/quote]
There are SO razzle dazzle! Gotta love it :)

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319256970' post='2325025']
CLAIRE, once I get back from my live-in at Lafayette Carmel I am blabbing here first.

Right now I am actually an aspirant with that same Carmel. I'll, God-willing, be entering after high school. Here are Dee's prime tips for discernment (from experience) :[list=1]
[*]DON'T FOLLOW YOUR OWN WILL. This will lead to to fail. In all ways.
[*]Find a spiritual director. Preferably a priest or religious since they have discerned. Mine is Fr.Long. :) AMAZING GUY.
[*]Pray, pray, pray. Best forms of prayer (opinion): The Mass, the Holy Rosary of the BVM, Lectio Divina, and Eucharistic Adoration. These will help you discover the Will of God.
[*]Find a supportive group of peers. This helps more than you know.
[*]Visit other communities to see other aspects of religious life. Look at active communities {Nashville Dominicans}, missionary communities {Missionaries of Charity}, and other groups with various aspotolates.
[*]Read lots of books. {Story of a Soul, Lives of the Saints, encyclicals on the religious life, etc. Those sorts of things.}
[*]Stick with phatmass. I can't even begin to express how much Chat and the Phorum has helped me.
[/list]
Know of my prayers for you, my fellow Carmelite-discerner. :) Pax tecum
[/quote]

Thank you so much, that is great advice. Know of my prayers for you as well :nun:
Thank you all!