An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Live-In Thread

the171

What the hey should I pack? I've never stayed at a monastery... so this is new for me.

It'll be three days and two nights. I would email Sr.Mary John again, but she's on retreat.

Strictlyinkblot

Do they have specific requests for women entering their public chapel e.g. veiling?

If they haven't told you anything specific I'd bring every day clothes. As one prioress put it to me 'Nothing that would distract in choir'. Jeans are good for doing work. If you're working in the garden a pair of wellies. I don't know what the weather is like where you are but I also suggest warm pajamas and slippers.

A bible is good but personally I wouldn't bring any other spiritual books. The Novice Mistress will probably give you something to read. Rosary beads obv. A small torch for going to the bathroom at night etc.

I can't think of anything else I needed when I was on a live-in. If you can its nice to bring a small gift, like flowers.

Quiet shoes. If your shoes are noisy you will feel very self-concious. Otherwise just a few clothes - if you happen to forget anything, they'll have spares.

Ok, so:

Clothes (work clothes, clothes for choir and mass {skirts & blouses})
My veil (I already veil so it's a good.)
Bible & Kindle (I always have it with me.)
Rosary, breviary, Pieta prayer book
My sandals & some flats
Pajammers (T-shirt & some night pantaloons)
Toiletries (haha sounds like Toilet trees.)
My sanity (I tend to forget this a bit)
Small flashlight
Slippers

Covers it all?

Sounds plenty. When I go I'll be taking

Underwear
My pinafore dress
Long denim skirt
Green skirt
4 tops or so
My Carmelite cardigan!
Birkenstocks
Mules for walking from station to monastery etc
Prayer stool
2 pairs jammies
Dressing gown
Cross stitch

And thats about it!

I think what we call a pinafore, you call a jumper - a long dress you put a top under.

They will have [i]lots[/i] of prayer stools so don't worry, I was recently bought one as a present as after a bad ankle injury last year the normal ones caused me discomfort and a friend wanted me to be comfy, bless her!

Cross stitch is sewing, a hobby to do in the evening hour of silence. I read in that time on my little visit, but this is a month so I will want some variety.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319588399' post='2327050']
Ok, so:

Clothes (work clothes, clothes for choir and mass {skirts & blouses})
My veil (I already veil so it's a good.)
Bible & Kindle (I always have it with me.)
Rosary, breviary, Pieta prayer book
My sandals & some flats
Pajammers (T-shirt & some night pantaloons)
Toiletries (haha sounds like Toilet trees.)
My sanity (I tend to forget this a bit)
Small flashlight
Slippers

Covers it all?
[/quote]
Looks good, don't forget your sanity this time :) Ah, this forum makes me feel good after a long day of arguing with progressive liberals...

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319591533' post='2327087']
your spiritual journal if you keep one, if not then a notebook and pen in case you want to write down anything.
[/quote]

Almost forgot. Fr.Long would've been ashamed. He wants to hear ALL about it. Obviously. He IS my spiritual director. :o I'm pre-packing tonight. It'll also be packing for NCYC. I'll just use the same packed items. My vintage suitcase will have more stickers by the end of the 3rd nine weeks.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319591712' post='2327089']
Looks good, don't forget your sanity this time :) Ah, this forum makes me feel good after a long day of arguing with progressive liberals...
[/quote]

You go to public school, too? :D

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Nope, I'm homeschooled, but everyone in my family except my parents and siblings are either fallen away Catholics or just not Catholic. Today a bunch of people on FB were arguing with me that my way of worship is to "judgemental" (as they say in Standford Nutting) and that we should "all just except all ways of Catholic worship" PPPHHHH, WHATEVER! :) These people are bringing out the little bit of Padre Pio in me...

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319591869' post='2327090']

Almost forgot. Fr.Long would've been ashamed. He wants to hear ALL about it. Obviously. He IS my spiritual director. :o I'm pre-packing tonight. It'll also be packing for NCYC. I'll just use the same packed items. My vintage suitcase will have more stickers by the end of the 3rd nine weeks.
[/quote]

you have something like this?!?!?!

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9FDH1LdPm6U/SL87qSKpXQI/AAAAAAAACGw/IIoBRvXvTJU/s400/Vintage+suitcase.jpg[/img]

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319592467' post='2327096']
Nope, I'm homeschooled, but everyone in my family except my parents and siblings are either fallen away Catholics or just not Catholic. Today a bunch of people on FB were arguing with me that my way of worship is to "judgemental" (as they say in Standford Nutting) and that we should "all just except all ways of Catholic worship" PPPHHHH, WHATEVER! :) These people are bringing out the little bit of Padre Pio in me...
[/quote]

Just slap them like Padre Pio slapped that woman for continuing the same sin over and over again.

Close... more like this.

[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264554_115884798502641_100002433656326_142858_1151084_n.jpg[/img]