An Old School Catholic Message Board

2011 Candidates For The Franciscan Sisters Of The Renewal

OnlySunshine

i<3franciscans

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1320321914' post='2330728']

My guess is she'll be 21 when she becomes a postulant.... ??
[/quote]
That is kinda what I was assuming. :)

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320321693' post='2330726']
Okay, I have a question. How is one of the candidates 20? I know they are supposed to be 21...
[/quote]

That's what stumped me. She must have received special permission or she will be 21 before she is a postulant. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320291696' post='2330672']

Age limit is 21-35.
No college degree necessary.
No medication or medical problems as they are a mendicant order with no health insurance.
No dowry needed.
Every candidate goes for medical, dental, and psychological exams.

If you would like to know anything else, let me know. I visited them in January 2010 and know a lot about them. ;)
[/quote]

One correction. They do indeed have health insurance. Before entrance the sisters have to be able to fund the first year and after that they seek benefactors to cover their insurance.

They can be open to some medical problems, for instance, some of the sisters have back problems. This is limited, however, due to the demands of their life. Just so that everyone knows that if you have specific questions about your particular health situation it is best to ask them directly.

[quote name='jennyanne' timestamp='1320345242' post='2330846']

One correction. They do indeed have health insurance. Before entrance the sisters have to be able to fund the first year and after that they seek benefactors to cover their insurance.

They can be open to some medical problems, for instance, some of the sisters have back problems. This is limited, however, due to the demands of their life. Just so that everyone knows that if you have specific questions about your particular health situation it is best to ask them directly.
[/quote]

I'm sorry if I got that wrong. I was reiterating what Sr. Francis told me. That's why they couldn't take me with my depression. I guess it differs. I don't think she mentioned anything about bringing a year's worth of money for insurance, I'm not saying you're wrong, either. ;)

i<3franciscans

[quote name='jennyanne' timestamp='1320345242' post='2330846']

[/quote]
I have minor scoliosis... could that be a problem? Sometime the back pain is really bad...

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320350205' post='2330880']
I have minor scoliosis... could that be a problem? Sometime the back pain is really bad...
[/quote]

That might be a question to ask Sr. Francis or Sr. Lucille. I'm betting that if it doesn't affect most of your life, it won't be a problem. ;)

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320350205' post='2330880']
[/quote]

Absolutely [b]do[/b] ask Sr. Francis this question directly! She will be able to answer specifically in your case! God bless you!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320350061' post='2330879']

I'm sorry if I got that wrong. I was reiterating what Sr. Francis told me. That's why they couldn't take me with my depression. I guess it differs. I don't think she mentioned anything about bringing a year's worth of money for insurance, I'm not saying you're wrong, either. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah...they really do have health insurance (In fact it is one area where they need prayer that they will have benefactors able to support them in this. It is very expensive.) They might not mention the year's worth of insurance until you are ready to enter. It might not come up during a come and see. I know that if you go to the "2-week-visit" when they do the psychological testing and interviews and such for those who apply for entrance that you find out about it.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='jennyanne' timestamp='1320371352' post='2331084']

Absolutely [b]do[/b] ask Sr. Francis this question directly! She will be able to answer specifically in your case! God bless you!
[/quote]
Thanks. :)

• 2 years later...

Hello,

May I know when are the "Come and See"s usually and do they normally last for the weekend?

I'm from Hong Kong and have met the Sisters in the UK during Youth 2000 and visited their community in Leeds..absolutely love them!

It won't be easy for me to visit them as I'm working but I would love to know when they do their "Come and See"s normally :)

Thanks

Hello,

May I know when are the "Come and See"s usually and do they normally last for the weekend?

I'm from Hong Kong and have met the Sisters in the UK during Youth 2000 and visited their community in Leeds..absolutely love them!

It won't be easy for me to visit them as I'm working but I would love to know when they do their "Come and See"s normally :)

Thanks

I answered your question on the other thread but let me expand.  The retreats last from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.  I came early on Thursday night with special permission since the airfare was cheaper.  :)