An Old School Catholic Message Board

St Teresa's 7 'mansions'

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I have the book "Interior Castle" by St Teresa of Avila... I've read some of it but didn't finish yet. She gives really great advice! I love the parts I read so far.

Has anyone here read it, - maybe those of you who spent time in a Carmelite monastery or are drawn to Carmelite spirituality? (I'm not saying the book is exclusively Carmelite :)). What did you think?

Well I'm thinking... how can a vocation affect the way a person goes through the different "mansions"? Could it affect the degree to which they progress, or only the way? I'm talking specifically about mansion 4 and onward. It seems that love for God is very important here, and foundational, much of the progress is determined by a greater love for God. I know that we are all called to holiness, but are the religious called to greater intimacy with God? And this is something I have not been able to figure out. It seems to me that yes, they are, but each person should follow their path to holiness and their own vocation. If someone has a great desire for marriage, that could be God's plan for them. It's simply through doing God's will in all things that we can become saints, and obedience is greater than sacrifice.. so whether His will is religious life, marriage, going on missions, doing small or big tasks: we should not place our will above His. But do you think that it's "easier" for a religious to reach the later mansions? (it doesn't sound easy in any case and must be extremely rare!!).

So that those who have not read the book can participate in the discussion... I found this summary of each of the mansions :) I think somewhere near the end is the Dark Night of the Soul. The basic premise is that the soul is like a castle, God dwells in the centre, and we move through the different mansions into the centre to meet God. It's based on a vision St Teresa had. With each mansion, there is greater holiness. Humility is key to progressing in the castle, and pride and seeking spiritual experiences rather than love, is detrimental. A person outside the castle is in mortal sin. It's also remarked in the book that the divisions between the mansions are not always this clear, neither is the progress.. so a person might skip a mansion, or they might go backwards, etc. Also, it's not always easy to tell which mansion you're in and perhaps it's better to just use this as good advice, rather than trying to determine where you are, - which could be left to a good spiritual director :)

[size=4]FIRST MANSIONS. This chapter begins with a meditation on the excellence and dignity of the human soul, made as it is in the image and likeness of God: the author laments that more pains are not taken to perfect it. The souls in the First Mansions are in a state of grace, but are still very much in love with the venomous creatures outside the castle -- that as, with occasions of sin -- and need a long and searching discipline before they can make any progress. So they stay for a long time in the Mansions of Humility, in which, since the heat and light from within reach them only in a faint and diffused form, all is cold and dim.[/size]

[size=4]SECOND MANSIONS. But all the time the soul is anxious to penetrate farther into the castle, so it seeks every opportunity of advancement -- sermons, edifying conversations, good company and so on. It is doing its utmost to put its desires into practice: these are the Mansions of the Practice of Prayer. It is not yet completely secure from the attacks of the poisonous reptiles which infest the courtyard of the castle, but its powers of resistance are increasing. There is more warmth and light here than in the First Mansions.[/size]

[size=4]THIRD MANSIONS. The description of these Mansions of Exemplary Life begins with stern exhortations on the dangers of trusting to one's own strength and to the virtues one has already acquired, which must still of necessity be very weak. Yet, although the soul which reaches the Third Mansions may still fall back, it has attained a high standard of virtue. Controlled by discipline and penance and disposed to performing acts of charity toward others, it has acquired prudence and discretion and orders its life well. Its limitations are those of vision: it has not yet experienced to the full the inspiring force of love. It has not made a full self-oblation, a total self-surrender. Its love is still governed by reason, and so its progress is slow. It suffers from aridity, and is given only occasional glimpses into the Mansions beyond.[/size]

[size=4]FOURTH MANSIONS. Here the supernatural element of the mystical life first enters: that is to say, it is no longer by its own efforts that the soul is acquiring what it gains. Henceforward the soul's part will become increasingly less and God's part increasingly greater. The graces of the Fourth Mansions, referred to as "spiritual consolations", are identified with the Prayer of Quiet, or the Second Water, in the Life. The soul is like a fountain built near its source and the water of life flows into it, not through an aqueduct, but directly from the spring. Its love is now free from servile fear: it has broken all the bonds which previously hindered its progress; it shrinks from no trials and attaches no importance to anything to do with the world. It can pass rapidly from ordinary to infused prayer and back again. It has not yet, however, received the highest gifts of the Spirit and relapses are still possible.[/size]

[size=4]FIFTH MANSIONS. This is the state described elsewhere as the Third Water, the Spiritual Betrothal, and the Prayer of Union -- that is, incipient Union. It marks a new degree of infused contemplation and a very high one. By means of the most celebrated of all her metaphors, that of the silkworm, St. Teresa explains how far the soul can prepare itself to receive what is essentially a gift from God. She also describes the psychological conditions of this state, in which, for the first time, the faculties of the soul are "asleep". It is of short duration, but, while it lasts, the soul is completely possessed by God.[/size]

[size=4]SIXTH MANSIONS. In the Fifth Mansions the soul is, as it were, betrothed to its future Spouse; in the Sixth, Lover and Beloved see each other for long periods at a time, and as they grow in intimacy the soul receives increasing favours, together with increasing afflictions. The afflictions which give the description of these Mansions its characteristic colour are dealt with in some detail. They may be purely exterior -- bodily sickness; misrepresentation, backbiting and persecution; undeserved praise; inexperienced, timid or over-scrupulous spiritual direction. Or they may come partly or wholly from within -- and the depression which can afflict the soul in the Sixth Mansions, says St. Teresa, is comparable only with the tortures of hell. Yet it has no desire to be freed from them except by entering the innermost Mansions of all.[/size]

[size=4]SEVENTH MANSIONS. Here at last the soul reaches the Spiritual Marriage. Here dwells the King -- "it may be called another Heaven": the two lighted candles join and become one, the falling rain becomes merged in the river. There is complete transformation, ineffable and perfect peace; no higher state is conceivable, save that of the Beatific Vision in the life to come.[/size]

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I read it, actually! It was the only thing by St. Teresa that I actually enjoyed. I learned a lot from it and I believe that I am in the 4th Mansion and have been there for a few years. I'm working hard to work towards moving upward into the 5th Mansion. :)

MarysLittleFlower

That is wonderful!! :)

I'm glad you liked the book also. I think I'm in the 2nd or 1st mansions lol, when I've been to Confession. I'm still a beginner. But I'd love to grow! :)

ive read up to third mansions sometimes its so hard to understand, then I ask St. Teresa to help me and she does! =)

I think I'm at the Second Mansion in my soul. Hope I can make progress soon!

Edited by Eternal CB

TeresaBenedicta

Ah, St. Teresa of Jesus! That saint's got spunk, let me tell you.

Anyways, I heard tell from a holy priest that, in general, the higher degrees of prayer are [i]not[/i] attained by those in the lay state. Not to say they don't reach holiness! Just that, because of their state of life, they are sanctified in a different way.

Mansions 1-3, in general, are our own efforts (in cooperation with God's grace), while the latter mansions become more and more the pure gift of God. But here's the tricky thing- one can be simultaneously in mansions 1, 2, or 3 AND in one of the higher mansions.... meaning that one can be working in the active purification of the soul AND, at the same time, God can be working passive purification in the soul.

I like the description of the mansions.

Here I speak as a mom, but with a religious as a daughter. I think the religious life is very conducive to growing in holiness with the scheduled prayer and apostolate, but if a lay person abandons herself to God's action she may reach a high state of sanctity- perhaps even higher than a religious. God is the one Who chooses the level of sanctity a person reaches regardless of his or her state in life. We just need to humble ourselves.

I had a thought in prayer reading "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Notice the passive nature of "will be exalted". Our only job is to humble ourselves and God will do the lifting to sanctity. A picture of a tall building came to my mind with an elevator (I'm very Theresian). But the ONLY place to get on the elevator is the basement---. We need to find and get to the basement of humility. Period. Once there we will find Jesus, the door, Who will open to Our Father's arms and He will take us to the floor He has chosen for us. . . the degree of holiness that will give Him the most glory from our lives.

i<3franciscans

After reading them all over I believe that I am at the fourth mansion. I have really done everything in the third, but definitely NOT everything in the fourth. :)

Thanks for posting these!!!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1320153255' post='2329774']
Mansions 1-3, in general, are our own efforts (in cooperation with God's grace), while the latter mansions become more and more the pure gift of God. But here's the tricky thing- one can be simultaneously in mansions 1, 2, or 3 AND in one of the higher mansions.... meaning that one can be working in the active purification of the soul AND, at the same time, God can be working passive purification in the soul.
[/quote]

That is really something to think about. Very insightful TB!

MarysLittleFlower

thanks for the replies! :) I read over the first couple chapters in the book last night... before, I said that I'm in the 1st or 2nd mansions, but now I think it's more like the 2nd... because I'm not so into worldly things like I was before. I want to love God and I'm trying but the reason I'm not in the 3rd is because although I'm trying, I still haven't succeeded at really growing in virtue.

In her book [i]The Way of Perfection[/i] (writtens as advice to her nuns, but useful to anyone), St Teresa warns against trying to guess where you are in your prayer life. Her metaphor of the mansions is pure beauty, and I enjoyed it, but I have never tried to work out where I stand in relation to those descriptions - it serves us no purpose. I'm a Christian. I want to go to God. I believe he has given me the grace I need to reach him. I don't need anything else, and it doesn't matter what anyone else has - I've got what's right for me. There's a risk of starting to talk about our soul's intimate journey as though it's a competitive video game with the mansions as levels if we think too much about this. Personally, I think those descriptions are simply there to inspire us to pray, and to remind us of the 'wonder of our being' (Psalm 139).

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1320169765' post='2329869']
In her book [i]The Way of Perfection[/i] (writtens as advice to her nuns, but useful to anyone), St Teresa warns against trying to guess where you are in your prayer life. Her metaphor of the mansions is pure beauty, and I enjoyed it, but I have never tried to work out where I stand in relation to those descriptions - it serves us no purpose. I'm a Christian. I want to go to God. I believe he has given me the grace I need to reach him. I don't need anything else, and it doesn't matter what anyone else has - I've got what's right for me. There's a risk of starting to talk about our soul's intimate journey as though it's a competitive video game with the mansions as levels if we think too much about this. Personally, I think those descriptions are simply there to inspire us to pray, and to remind us of the 'wonder of our being' (Psalm 139).
[/quote]

I like what you have said here. I love St Teresa's writings, but had a big battle with Interior Castle. I think this was most probably because of where I was in formation at the time I was reading it, and my then NM telling me where she thought I was! Hopefully when I read it again, I will be able to do so without feeling under the same pressure and so be able to appreciate it better - as its by Big T, it can only be good! :saint2:

MarysLittleFlower

[/quote]

that is a good point :) it's also wise to let a spiritual director or confessor decide where we are spiritually.. there can be many delusions when a person tries to examine themselves. Not saying that about anyone here, only about myself, since I did fall into some delusions in the past due to self reliance.

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1320176303' post='2329906']

that is a good point :) it's also wise to let a spiritual director or confessor decide where we are spiritually.. there can be many delusions when a person tries to examine themselves. Not saying that about anyone here, only about myself, since I did fall into some delusions in the past due to self reliance.
[/quote]

There is a beautiful little book called [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidelines-Mystical-Prayer-Ruth-Burrows/dp/0860124533/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320179952&sr=1-1"][i]Guidelines for Mystical Prayer[/i][/url] by a Carmelite sister (former prioress and novice mistress to her community) that explores St Teresa's metaphor in different language. Sr Ruth writes about three islands rather than seven mansions, with connecting bridges, and something she said about the soul's journey across those islands has stayed with me ever since I read it: "A true second-islander will never guess that she is that." She has several useful insights on how to interpret Teresa. She also shares how she herself needed the help of a wise friend (a priest) to be able to judge where she was - it wasn't something she could do alone.

AccountDeleted

[/quote]

I am so glad you posted this. I didn't want to put a damper on anyone's fun but I have been thinking this since I read the OP. I met with a priest once in Carmel for two hours while we discussed my vocation and he asked me if I thought I was a 'beginner', 'proficient' or an 'expert' (according to St John of the Cross' measurements of spirituality). I think he was asking me this because of some things I had said before, but I just looked at him at said, 'I don't think it's for me to judge something like that.' We then went on to talk about spiritual pride. It is very dangerous to try to evaluate one's own progress in the spiritual life. Spiritual pride is so subtle that it is often hard to recognise, especially by the person who has it! The better path is to leave all that in God's hands and trust Him to sanctify our soul.

That being said, the book was a wonderful experience for me, and at the time I read it (many years ago), I too tried to guess where I might be in her description of the 'mansions'. I think it might be inevitable when one first reads that book but after the initial 'fun' of doing so, one needs to let it go. We could try to measure ourselves against Sr Ruth's 'islands' or St John's 'beg/prof/expert' or St Teresa's 'mansions' or one of hundreds of different 'spiritual measuring sticks' that have been devised over the years, or we could just put our focus on God instead of on self.

Edited by nunsense

brandelynmarie

"Abba Poeman said about Abba Prior that every single day he made a fresh beginning."

I like how both St. Teresa & Sr. Ruth talk about moving back forth among the mansions & islands. :) I believe this is more about the to & fro of heart knowledge rather than of just the intellect & 'knowing' where one is at...but this is just me. ;)