An Old School Catholic Message Board

St Teresa's 7 'mansions'

MarysLittleFlower

[size=5][b][font=georgia,serif][color=#800000]We cannot judge in our own case.[/color][/font][/b][/size]
[size=5][b][font=georgia,serif][color=#800000]Would you fill your own teeth or take out your own appendix???[/color][/font][/b][/size]

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1320197106' post='2330034']
"Abba Poeman said about Abba Prior that every single day he made a fresh beginning."

I like how both St. Teresa & Sr. Ruth talk about moving back forth among the mansions & islands. :) I believe this is more about the to & fro of heart knowledge rather than of just the intellect & 'knowing' where one is at...but this is just me. ;)
[/quote]

Yes, this. There is no 'achievement' or 'status' in the spiritual life. As jruss quoted, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1320180414' post='2329934']

There is a beautiful little book called [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guidelines-Mystical-Prayer-Ruth-Burrows/dp/0860124533/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320179952&sr=1-1"][i]Guidelines for Mystical Prayer[/i][/url] by a Carmelite sister (former prioress and novice mistress to her community) that explores St Teresa's metaphor in different language. Sr Ruth writes about three islands rather than seven mansions, with connecting bridges, and something she said about the soul's journey across those islands has stayed with me ever since I read it: "A true second-islander will never guess that she is that." She has several useful insights on how to interpret Teresa. She also shares how she herself needed the help of a wise friend (a priest) to be able to judge where she was - it wasn't something she could do alone.
[/quote]

Sr Ruth Borrows also wrote [i]"[u]Interior Castle" Explored[/u]. [/i]The first time I read it it really bowled me over with her concepts of "lights on" and "lights off" and other more modern terminology and associated definitions and you really need to read the book to understand. In fact, I had to read it twice. Fascinating book and perspective on the "Interior Castle" by St. Teresa of Avila.

• 5 years later...

I've seen some posts where people have said they are in particular mansions, though I wonder if perhaps as one journeys through life, one can actually be in between mansions, even moving between mansions as they progress in life. Think of it as going in and out on the journey until slowly, they progress onwards towards the centre. What do you think?

MiserereMeiDeus

I don't think I could ever say where I am. His work in every soul is so different. I like her book, it's great and it can be a good guide and help those who have mystical experiences. I think if one has them or had them it doesn't prove high union with God but could also be that He knows what consolations and graces to give to each to strengthen them on the path He has for them. In fact one who suffers with less times of consolation and it seems like they're falling back or not getting ahead could be closer to God than those who receive many consolations. I hope for me that either way I will reach the union He wants me to have with Him and accomplish His Will on earth before it's my time to go.

I think that st. Theresa wrote about the seven mansions in order to help people go through the different stages of prayer, not as a way to "count the steps" but to understand what's going on, and so be able to deal with the different things that may be happening to you. I mean, something in the lines of: "I'm experiencing X in prayer. That may mean that I am in situation A or situation B; so I should avoid doing f and try to do m instead".