An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions To Ask Re What To Take

faithcecelia

I posted this in my NH thread the other day, but thought it might be worthy of its own thread as so many of us seem close to entering/re-entering communities.

We have a lovely long thread about general quiestions to ask comminities, but this is for practical 'what to take' ones.

Here is what I had so far:

* Do I need certain night wear? (colours, pjs etc)
* Handkerchiefs (looks like they use home made)
* Can I take my own, anti-allergy bedding?
* Can I take my laptop?
* Ipod?
* Does underwear need to be completely plain?

Can anyone thing of others? Maybe an idea to copy and paste the list, then add on extras.

Mant thanks!

* Can I take my laptop?
* Ipod?
[b]* Sunglasses?[/b]
[b]* Books? How many and any restrictions on content?[/b]
[b]* Double-check what's appropriate to wear (my monastery specifies dark colours and skirts to be at least knee-length)[/b]

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1320170107' post='2329872']
Oh, what about bedspread, blanket/s, bedlinen, towels?
[/quote]

I have my anti-allergy bedding on the list, so fingers crossed! I will have a beautiful, brown bedspread :hehe2:

* Can I take my laptop?
* Ipod?
* Sunglasses?
* Books? How many and any restrictions on content?
* Double-check what's appropriate to wear (my monastery specifies dark colours and skirts to be at least knee-length)

[b]* If one cannot bring a laptop, ask if a portable flash-drive for personal data would be acceptable.[/b]

Not sure how cold it gets there in winter, but I was thinking about sweaters/ fleece jackets to wear with jumpers, skirts etc. Also wondered about long undies, and work clothes. Since it is a live in, they might be a little more flexible, and did you ask if they have a suggestion list? You are in my prayers.

Ah, I am asking for when I enter - I will only have 3wks between my live-in and moving up there, so I want to be as organised as possible, and ideally take some stuff up to leave, but that is less likely now I have injured myself :unsure:

Oh right, I forgot about your ankle. ( you do know to ice it and keep it elevated?) :0) (The nurse in me.. can't help myself) Hhhhmmmm, might want to ask about some of that for the long term as well. I do wonder if after one wears the habit if they can wear a sweater they bring. ( Brown might be good then right??)

[quote name='TIWW' timestamp='1320187280' post='2329976']
Oh right, I forgot about your ankle. ( you do know to ice it and keep it elevated?) :0) (The nurse in me.. can't help myself) Hhhhmmmm, might want to ask about some of that for the long term as well. I do wonder if after one wears the habit if they can wear a sweater they bring. ( Brown might be good then right??)
[/quote]

Yes I have been icing it and keeping it up when I can. Im walking okay in the house but using crutches when I go out for extra stability. It took 6mths to heal last time, so I [i]need[/i] to behave myself this time and hope it heals far faster!

I still have my Carmelite cardies, so they will come back with me :hehe2:

* Can I take my laptop?
* Ipod?
* Sunglasses?
* Double-check what's appropriate to wear (my monastery specifies dark colours and skirts to be at least knee-length)
[b]* If one cannot bring a laptop, ask if a portable flash-drive for personal data would be acceptable.[/b]
* Camera?

* Can I take my laptop?
* Ipod?
* Sunglasses?
* If one cannot bring a laptop, ask if a portable flash-drive for personal data would be acceptable.
* Camera?
[b]* Can I bring any documentaries/saint movies (DVD or VHS .. do they have a DVD or VHS player)?[/b]

edit to bold my question, hope I'm doing this right :j

Edited by Chiquitunga

What sort of tools? (Swiss Army knife, flashlight, Leatherman, sewing kit...)
What sort of craft items? (If you knit/crochet/embroider, are there patterns that are unsuitable? Are craft items allowed in novitiate?)