An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Have What It Takes?

Deus te Amat

What is that you even need to have what it takes? How do you prepare for the difficulties and challenges that make up religious life?

Recently, another friend of mine discerned out of the convent. That means that for the sole exception of one sister (who is still in formation -- out of the novitiate but has yet to make final vows), every person that I have personally known enter the convent has left. I realize that that may be God's will for them, but the sobering reality is that I am terrified of it happening to me. Religious life is HARD. Here in the VS, I see touted a very romanticized version of what the religious life is, and, (forgive me faith and nunsense,-- I am so glad for your witness here), I don't think many of us realize the staggering reality that[i] is[/i] religious life. The loneliness. The inability to share with anyone but God... Emotional attachments to people? bad plan. How do you prepare? How do you know you can persevere? God's grace and God's will. But does that mean the people who left weren't given the grace necessary to succeed?

I "know" the answers to these questions. But so, I thought, did my friends who entered and left.

How can I prepare? For those of you that have entered and left, what is your perspective? Do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you for listening to my rant. ahhhhhhh
DtA

I think the only way you can ever really know is to go and try. Even if you are always obedient, always keep the Rule meticulously, are the happiest you have ever been in your life and persevere in prayer, you can never be absolutely, 100% sure.

Strangely, I think that having been through what I have (being sent away after a relatively long time, struggling to readjust and now about to enter another community) shows that I probably do have what it takes...in the right place. I have never stopped persevering; I would never have chosen to leave, and I was very badly hurt by the way i was dismissed with no warning. There are other details that I wont go into but that caused me a lot of pain, and through a number of conversations with my new prioress I am confident they will never happen there (though of course there may be other struggles).

Very few women marry their first boyfriend, but until you allow the relationship to develop you cannot predict the outcome. I certainly think fear of failure should never be a just reason to not try.

I am not planning to enter a religious community; I believe I am called to live out my life as a consecrated woman in a secular institute. Just tonight I was thinking about what this means for me.

All my life I will stand alone.

No husband, no sisters. Just me. And I know enough of me to realise that my difficulties and my weaknesses aren't going to fly out of the window the moment I take vows. The life I lead as a consecrated woman will be near-identical to the life I lead now - I will still struggle not to be sloppy in prayer, careless with my money and possessions, lazy with the use of my time, proud, judgmental, and all the rest of it. I will still be rocked by impulsiveness one minute and gripped by apathy the next.

There will be at least two solid hours of mental prayer a day. These will often bore me. Prayer isn't going to become a rapture and an ecstasty as soon as I join the institute.

I will get frustrated and tired. I will still snap at people. I will look at other people's family lives, and I will feel sad sometimes - if only because I resent not having someone to take my temper out on at the end of a long working day.

The only difference is that with my vows, I will tell God that I am prepared to live with this without distractions. I accept myself as I am.

And God, that's going to be hard.

You are still yourself, in the convent or out of it. Your weaknesses now will be your weaknesses then. But hopefully you will also learn there that God loves us in our weakness, and it's not something we need to run away from. Providing you know this, I think you will persevere - if, of course, that convent is where you're asked to be.

Our life is the way of the cross "pick up your cross and follow me" Jesus said, for anyone who wishes to come after Him must do so. St Teresa of Avila recommends meditating on the passion often as well, as one will make great spiritual profit from that. We cannot avoid suffering instead we offer it up, unite it with Him and in doing so comfort Him, atone for sins and achieve the conversion of sinners. That makes any vocation meaningful, any suffering meaningful.

Beatitude, that is so true. But its also important to remember that keeping the Rule, whether of a Religious community, a lay community, or third order consecration will draw you closer to God, and He will work through our weaknesses and purify them.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1320275903' post='2330493']
What is that you even need to have what it takes? How do you prepare for the difficulties and challenges that make up religious life?

Recently, another friend of mine discerned out of the convent. That means that for the sole exception of one sister (who is still in formation -- out of the novitiate but has yet to make final vows), every person that I have personally known enter the convent has left. I realize that that may be God's will for them, but the sobering reality is that I am terrified of it happening to me. Religious life is HARD. Here in the VS, I see touted a very romanticized version of what the religious life is, and, (forgive me faith and nunsense,-- I am so glad for your witness here), I don't think many of us realize the staggering reality that[i] is[/i] religious life. The loneliness. The inability to share with anyone but God... Emotional attachments to people? bad plan. How do you prepare? How do you know you can persevere? God's grace and God's will. But does that mean the people who left weren't given the grace necessary to succeed?

I "know" the answers to these questions. But so, I thought, did my friends who entered and left.

How can I prepare? For those of you that have entered and left, what is your perspective? Do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

DtA
[/quote]

DtA - I don't think you can know until you try. Yes, religious life is hard. That's just a fact. There is a lot about it that is alien to our human nature. but it can also be a great joy. When the disciples asked Jesus how anyone could be saved, He said that for man it was impossible, but for God it was possible. Perhaps the thing to remember is to always depend on God's strength and not on our own.

Like faith, I have been very hurt by some of my experiences in the convent. I wasn't always my choice to leave and even when it was, this was usually because of things that happened that were unendurable for me. Having had such experience, I could say I probably have even more fears than those who are considering entering for the first time. And yet, I continue to try to find where God wants me. Am I kidding myself? Am I just being stubborn and refusing to accept that I have no vocation? Maybe. I don't know. Even if I get accepted again, will I be able to persevere? Will they kick me out like Kirk Edge did? I don't know. I think what I just red by Lil Red on another thread about Forgiveness makes sense to me even here -- I need to remain 'woundable' and not try to protect myself from being wounded by either my own weakness or by the actions of others.

All I can offer in the way of advice is for you to humbly ask God to make it possible for you to persevere and then to give it your best shot. And never to lose faith or trust in Him, no matter what happens. It takes great courage to enter a convent and stay, but it also takes great courage to leave one (whether by choice or not) because of the hurt and sorrow. And to try again (and again and again?) well, what can I say? All I know now is that it's about trust, trust, trust....

Honestly, I can never know 100% that I can live the life until I actually try it for myself. I know someone who left the convent this year -- not by her own will -- and she is returning next year. I always thought that she'd be there until her last breath. Only God bestows the graces to live the life. We just do the best we can with what we've been given. ;)

I am reminded of St John of the Cross saying “[i]Beloved[/i], [i]all[/i] that is harsh and difficult I want for myself, and [i]all[/i] that is gentle and [i]sweet[/i] for thee"

dominicansoul

for me, religious life was Christmas everyday, and I'm not exaggerating...

i come from a very poor background, i do not possess any positions of honor, i am nothing... this made it pretty easy for me to become nothing in the convent. I didn't miss television, radio, a huge bank account, my favorite shampoo, a huge house, etc. etc. etc.

the only huge sacrifice came from leaving my mom, she was my everything in this world...

Vee is correct, you prepare yourself by praying every single day and meditating on Jesus, not on yourself. One of the greatest accomplishments to make is dying to your will... from the moment you step into the convent, you are not living for yourself, you are living for Jesus and for your Sisters, and that is not an easy thing to do for some people who have a strong will, and "their way is the end all be all"...

What really helped me was praying to the Holy Spirit...

He inspired me to desire to live the two greatest commandments in the convent. My prayer as I crossed the threshold of the convent was, "Come Holy Spirit, I am yours, help me to live my life forever here, living the two greatest commandments."

From that day forward I found myself seeing everyone in the light of Christ, not judging them by their harshness, their bad attitudes, nor their silly pride... I can truly say that I loved everyone of my Sisters with all my heart... I realized that living in the convent made me grow closer and closer and more in love with Jesus, and falling in love with Jesus went hand and hand with loving my Sisters... you cannot have one without the other, that love compliments one another...

I once told Mother, "Mother, when does the Sacrifice begin?" I was loving every minute of it!!! I had everything and even more than i could imagine!!! She laughed and said, "My child, that day will come... and you will be ready for it."

That day came when my beloved mother became ill, and I had to leave the convent to care for her. You see, my sacrifice wasn't made when I entered.. the sacrifice came when I had to leave... This was what God was calling me to... to offer up my life for my mother...

DtA, don't be afraid, every single person's experience is unique... you will have to go and see, live it, and don't look back... wait and watch and continue to answer the call every single day...

InPersonaChriste

I dont think this question is something I wont have to be worried about for many years. Or at least I hope not, it is something I am aware of. I try not to romanticise religious life, but it is a default to my adolesence. I see things as a teenager, and I am a teenager. I will mature with God as I age, and I thank him that he is so patient with me.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1320283175' post='2330564']
for me, religious life was Christmas everyday, and I'm not exaggerating...

i come from a very poor background, i do not possess any positions of honor, i am nothing... this made it pretty easy for me to become nothing in the convent. I didn't miss television, radio, a huge bank account, my favorite shampoo, a huge house, etc. etc. etc.

the only huge sacrifice came from leaving my mom, she was my everything in this world...

Vee is correct, you prepare yourself by praying every single day and meditating on Jesus, not on yourself. One of the greatest accomplishments to make is dying to your will... from the moment you step into the convent, you are not living for yourself, you are living for Jesus and for your Sisters, and that is not an easy thing to do for some people who have a strong will, and "their way is the end all be all"...

What really helped me was praying to the Holy Spirit...

He inspired me to desire to live the two greatest commandments in the convent. My prayer as I crossed the threshold of the convent was, "Come Holy Spirit, I am yours, help me to live my life forever here, living the two greatest commandments."

From that day forward I found myself seeing everyone in the light of Christ, not judging them by their harshness, their bad attitudes, nor their silly pride... I can truly say that I loved everyone of my Sisters with all my heart... I realized that living in the convent made me grow closer and closer and more in love with Jesus, and falling in love with Jesus went hand and hand with loving my Sisters... you cannot have one without the other, that love compliments one another...

I once told Mother, "Mother, when does the Sacrifice begin?" I was loving every minute of it!!! I had everything and even more than i could imagine!!! She laughed and said, "My child, that day will come... and you will be ready for it."

That day came when my beloved mother became ill, and I had to leave the convent to care for her. You see, my sacrifice wasn't made when I entered.. the sacrifice came when I had to leave... This was what God was calling me to... to offer up my life for my mother...

DtA, don't be afraid, every single person's experience is unique... you will have to go and see, live it, and don't look back... wait and watch and continue to answer the call every single day...
[/quote]

Actually, my third experience of Carmel was much like this. I had nothing from having entered twice before and I had already said goodbye to all family and friends and had spent time with the hermits and knew that I needed community. I was blissfully happy from the moment I stepped foot into the enclosure - in fact even during my week's visit outside as a guest. From Day One the NM would ask me how I was and I would say how happy I was. She would ask if I had any problems and I would say no, none. She and I got along well and she told me I definitely had a vocation.

Yes, there were hardships, like not being part of the community (as a postulant there, there was more separation than at other Carmels) but I knew that in time Clothing would come and that would take care of that problem.

Then for some reason that I still don't fully understand, the Prioress told me she had called in a priest to meet with me to discuss whether or not I had a vocation. I spent two hours with him and he seemed very happy with me - the only thing he mentioned was that perhaps Mother was having problems with our 'cultural differences' (his words). He said that Americans tend to be more outspoken than the English and perhaps she was having problems with this.

Then one day Mother said she wanted me to think about leaving. I asked if this she wanted to make the decision or if she wanted me to make it. She said I could make it. I then told our NM that I thought Mother was going to ask me to leave and she said of course not, that I really had a vocation. I was never able to speak with her again as that night I said to Mother that I wanted to stay and she said no, she wanted me to leave. I begged for more time to show her I could be what she wanted. She said no and told me to leave the next day. I wasn't allowed to speak with anyone (including our NM) except the Depositrix (Bursar) who would help me handle the details of getting a taxi to the airport. I also had to attend Mass the next day in the chapel - not with the sisters. Before I left, I went on my knees to Mother and thanked her for everything (and stayed in contact with her over the years until another Prioress was elected and she left for a rest home) but even though on the outside I did everything that was expected, on the inside, I was broken and hurt and felt rejected by God (at the time).

The thing is, that we can never know what the future may hold. That is why our trust in God has to be absolute. We could be blissfull happy like DS was, or I was, and then either have to leave to care for a sick relative, or be asked to leave for reasons unknown to us.

One of the nuns at my last Carmel was a choir nun for 20 years when her elderly Jewish mother took sick. She left the convent to care for her until her death - and during those years her mother converted to Catholicism. Then this lovely woman asked to return to the convent and they said yes, but only as an extern. She accepted this and is still there today. She never knew her vocation would take this path.... but she did what she felt called to do in all cases. And she helped me a lot while I was there.

No guarantees, whether it is easy for you or hard, you stay forever or leave and get married, leave and re-enter or whatever happens... the most important thing is to love God and trust that He loves us more than we can possibly imagine. what else really matters?

The thing is I don't know,that is why I am discerning, I hope that I have what it takes but that is what I am trying to discover. For now I adhere to the advice given by one of my Jesuit friends : "God will continue to call you in the present moment: for now, make school your convent, your professors and supervisors your superiors, and charity your habit".

I've never entered, but from the VS and various religious, I have seen that we need to begin to detach before we enter. And even if we aren't called to relgious life, you can't have emotional attachments. It sets you up for failure in whatever vocation you are called to. I know that God will prepare me if I am open to his will. Now, I will observe this thread because I find myself thoroughly interested.

Little Flower

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1320275903' post='2330493']

DtA
[/quote]
Sometimes I doubt it... if I can't get along with my siblings how am I going to do with all these women who are so completely different from me with radically different backgrounds?

You say loneliness. Wouldn't you develop relationships with sisters? Especially if you are entering a cloistered community where there will be less sisters than an active one?