An Old School Catholic Message Board

Funny Thing Today

the171

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1320466170' post='2331668']
[I'm not nunsense, but...] If I recall correctly, perpetual abstinence from meat was part of the older, traditional Carmelite rule such as described by Mother Catherine Thomas in My Beloved; but this is not the case now, at least since the more recent reforms. Now I think it varies by community with some of the stricter, more traditional ones retaining that particular penance.
[/quote]

It is the [url="http://carmelnet.org/chas/rule.htm"][u]Rule of St. Albert[/u][/url] that[i] all[/i] Carmelites follow (1990s, 1991s, O.Carm., nuns, friars, etc.) that calls for abstinence from meat.

[i]"You are to abstain from meat, except as a remedy for sickness or feebleness."[/i] - Chapter 17

At the beginning of both the Constitutions of 1990 and 1991 is the Rule. Then the Constitutions define/regulate more specific things about their lives/interpret the Rule. But from what I understand the Constitutions of 1991 still follow very much what the Rule calls for regarding abstinence, with exceptions of course, as it allows. Perhaps some of the 1991 Carmels are a bit looser on this point than some of the 1990s, but in short it is part of the Carmelite Rule itself.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1320490387' post='2331775']Carmelites do eat fish sometimes, and a sister can have meat if she has a medical need that can't be managed without it, but as a general rule they have a simple vegetarian diet.
[/quote]

From my experience and talking with others who were in Carmel/discerned, Carmelites eat fish quite often. It is not considered "meat" as the Church doesn't consider it .. e.g. fish on Fridays.

FutureCarmelite, I wouldn't let this worry you. God will certainly give you the grace if you are called to Carmel :pray: Also, compared with for instance the Poor Clare Colettines (who rise at midnight to pray Matins, eat breakfast standing up, etc.), the Discalced Carmelite way of life is very balanced/not very penitential. It is more about interior penance/giving up the will. Hope this helps some :like: God bless!

edit to add - PCCs (and several others I'm sure) also have perpetual abstinence from meat, so we're not alone :buddies:

Edited by Chiquitunga