An Old School Catholic Message Board

Desolation And Discerning

Ale.SOLT

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1321294568' post='2336217']

This is where "duty of the moment" comes in: do the dishes, dust the mantle, brush your teeth, be of service to someone, say the prayers that suddenly feel flat. A good many saints have said this is what kept them going through the dark times. My prayers are with you.
[/quote]

Thank you.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Is this like a dark night of the soul kind of experience?
I find that when I have hit rock bottom spiritually that sometimes it can bring me closer to God because I am at His feet [i]begging[/i] for Him to restore me to the spirituality that I had before. Crawl to God, crawl to Him. Remember that before every rainbow there is rain. I am praying for you.

Prayers for you; moving forward resolutely in the middle of desolation is really tough.

It helps to remember that God is with you in that dark place, that you won't be there forever, and that God will give you the graces that you need. St. Ignatius of Loyola reminds people to continue on whatever path they had discerned BEFORE the desolation hit, because the evil one will try to get you off kilter when you are in the low place.

I concur with what the others have been saying, too -- if I were a little devil, I would be trying to get you off kilter to see if I could disuade you from your vocation... because I would be worried about how many souls you might bring to God if we let you just go in all happy and contented. So in a sense it is sometimes a good sign to be getting some 'negative' activity -- you must be doing something right!

Doing little things with love is the best way to work through those tough times. We'll pray and we are here to support you, too.

It is so natural to feel like this. I remember I almost gave it all away, I was certain I had done the wrong thing by applying to enter! Be strong Ale. Prayers coming your way.

brandelynmarie

Prayers that you may have the peace that passes understanding...no matter what other emotional storms or dryness may come. :pray: :amen:

dominicansoul

I don't mean to scare you, but you must realize that from this point on, you will be receiving the severest blows from satan he can throw your way...he wants you to struggle, he wants you to feel desolation and doubt, unrest and anxiety about your position in life... don't be fooled... remember he is the master of lies, and lies are what you are combating...

BUT teh Almighty God is closer to you than you can imagine, He has called you out of the darkness of the world into a light that is unimaginable... so bright and beautiful, that we can only wonder in awe that it exists in our world. The convent is paradise on earth. There you will realize the joys that God has for those He loves, for those He calls... don't allow anything to dissuade you... keep your eyes on Christ. You may not "feel" He is near, but He is closer to you than you can believe. This is what Faith is for, for times likes these when we feel as if Our Beloved has left us alone... Have Faith and believe, He is soo much in love with your whole being, you are called and chosen... keep your eyes focused solely on Him.. He needs you to bring His Light into the world!! You have a mission and a purpose taht only you can accomplish!

We had a wonderful cousin who spent decades as novitiate infirmarian. When I was exactly where you are before entering, she assured me that this stage is normal, and, although it happens sooner or later to everyone, the-earlier-the-better. Although you have lots of company, that doesn't make it any easier! It can be hard to think about making the leap, but once you do a whole new world opens up. God bless the SOLT's and their wonderful ministries. They've been a favorite since their early days in a couple of family homes in Kansas City.

MarysLittleFlower

Apparently this could actually be a good sign! :) if you are truly doing God's will, there would be opposition or a test of some kind... I used to be Protestant and when I was preparing to receive the Sacraments, I went through a very frightening sort of time where I found it very difficult to even believe in God's existence.. I believed in my will but I felt otherwise. It seems many people go through this and it is normal :) try to focus on your will rather than your feelings. God bless you :)

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1321468476' post='2336945']
Are you feeling a bit better? :nun3:

Or do you feel more like this?

prayers
[/quote]
I Feel more like --> :wall:
But I have been praying alot. even though I dont feel Him sometimes. I pray.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321481514' post='2337061']
I don't mean to scare you, but you must realize that from this point on, you will be receiving the severest blows from satan he can throw your way...he wants you to struggle, he wants you to feel desolation and doubt, unrest and anxiety about your position in life... don't be fooled... remember he is the master of lies, and lies are what you are combating...

BUT teh Almighty God is closer to you than you can imagine, He has called you out of the darkness of the world into a light that is unimaginable... so bright and beautiful, that we can only wonder in awe that it exists in our world. The convent is paradise on earth. There you will realize the joys that God has for those He loves, for those He calls... don't allow anything to dissuade you... keep your eyes on Christ. You may not "feel" He is near, but He is closer to you than you can believe. This is what Faith is for, for times likes these when we feel as if Our Beloved has left us alone... Have Faith and believe, He is soo much in love with your whole being, you are called and chosen... keep your eyes focused solely on Him.. He needs you to bring His Light into the world!! You have a mission and a purpose taht only you can accomplish!
[/quote]
DS, you are so inspiring! thank you. That true has giving me more of a boost to get out of the lies of the devil.