An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Oldest Dominican Joke On Record?

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

From [i]Wits Fittes and Fancies[/i], published by Anthony Copley in 1595.

Here’s the 16th century joke with 21st century spelling:

[color=#000000]A [i]Dominican[/i] and a [i]Franciscan[/i] friar traveling together on the way, arrived at a brook, where the [i]Dominican[/i] requested the [i]Franciscan[/i], in as much as he was barefoot, to carry him over the water on his back. The [i]Franciscan[/i] was content, and up he took him, and into the river he went; and being stepped into the chan­nel, there he paused, and said to the [i]Dominican[/i], “Tell me (brother) have you any money about you?” The [i]Dominican[/i], thinking that he aimed thereby at a consideration for his pains, answered: “Yea Maria, have I a little, but not much.” “Much or little then”, re­plied the [i]Franciscan[/i], “well you know that my order does not allow me to carry money, although you may. And there­fore…” And with that down he let slip the [i]Dominican[/i] into the channel, where his money could not save him from being ve­ry well wet.[/color]

[color=#000000]Here is the original spelling:[/color]

[color=#000000][color=#000000]A [i]Dominican[/i] and a [i]Franciscan[/i] Frier traueiling together on the way, arriued at a brook, where the [i]Dominican[/i] requested the [i]Franciscan[/i], in as much as he was barefoot, to carie him ouer the water on his back: The [i]Franciscan[/i] was content, and vp he took him, and into the riuer he went; and being stept into the chan­nell, there he paws’d, & said to the [i]Dominican[/i]: Tell me (brother) haue you any money about you? The [i]Dominican[/i] thinking that he aimed thereby at a consideration for his paines, answered: Yea marie haue I a little, but not much: Much or little then (re­ply’d the [i]Franciscan[/i]) well you wot my order allowes me not to carie any money about me, though well you may. And there­fore: and with that downe hee let slip the [i]Dominican[/i] into the channell, where his money could not saue him from being ve­rie well wet.[/color][/color]

[color=#000000][color=#000000] :hehe2:[/color][/color]

Edited by brandelynmarie

Strictlyinkblot

A Franciscan and a Jesuit had been debating theology for nearly a week. They barely stopped to eat or sleep. It was Sunday and they were both exhausted. But then the Jesuit found one more point to argue. The Franciscan had just taken a breath to launch into a counter argument when a bolt of lightening hit the ground between them.
They both jumped back. On the ground there was a scrap of paper with singed edges. The Jesuit picked it up.

My Sons

Stop this pointless arguing. I love you both. It is the day of rest. Embrace each other as brothers and go home.

Love

God OP

Now that is very interesting... and here is a different version:

Representatives of all the major orders and congregations had come together for a meeting.

At some point the sisters and brethren got a little heated about which order God and His Mother loved best.

The Dominicans said that surely it was them, because they had received the Rosary and had so many wonderful Dominican saints. No! said the Franciscans --we can assure you that WE are loved more because we had St. Francis and received the Portiuncula indulgence! The Carmelites insisted that it must be them, because so many of our Saints are named Teresa of Jesus, and because Mary had given them the Scapular... the Visitandines were sure they were most beloved because Jesus had appeared to St. Margaret Mary.... and so it went.... and there didn't seem to be any answer to it.

Finally someone -- no one knows from which order -- said, "Sisters, brothers -- we are people of prayer! Let us kneel down and ask! So all knelt... and there was silence....

....and then a little slip of paper floated down, gentle as a dove, and appeared in their midst. The person closest to it picked it up and read,

"I love all my children equally."

It was signed....

God, S.J.

:lol4:

brandelynmarie

Yeah, I guess it's saying that the Franciscan vow of poverty is so strict that even for him to give a piggyback ride to a Dominican that is [i]carrying [/i]money...well, it's too much.

:hehe2:

Edited by brandelynmarie