An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Confused...

i<3franciscans

InPersonaChriste

I am a little confused,

If you are discerning religious life it is not advised to date while in discernment. Because it distracts you and "dating" is a discernment process.

I think my brain would explode if I were to start discerning a marital vocation at the moment.

dominicansoul

live each day at a time... none of us really know where we are headed, we just need to concentrate on the day ahead of us...

dating is intended for marriage, what you are doing is merely sharing time with a friend who happens to be a guy...

if you were seriously involved with a community, talking to a vocations directress, getting your papers done, going to physical examinations, psychologicals, buying the items on your entrance lists, THEN I would wonder what you are doing hanging out with a member of the opposite sex in what he might perceive as a date?

But since you aren't, no worries. Take each day at a time, pray to the Holy Spirit to lead you in the right direction of His Will, and share with a close friend. :)

i<3franciscans

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321980577' post='2339453']
live each day at a time... none of us really know where we are headed, we just need to concentrate on the day ahead of us...

dating is intended for marriage, what you are doing is merely sharing time with a friend who happens to be a guy...

if you were seriously involved with a community, talking to a vocations directress, getting your papers done, going to physical examinations, psychologicals, buying the items on your entrance lists, THEN I would wonder what you are doing hanging out with a member of the opposite sex in what he might perceive as a date?

But since you aren't, no worries. Take each day at a time, pray to the Holy Spirit to lead you in the right direction of His Will, and share with a close friend. :)
[/quote]
Thank you ds. I would give this props but apparently I have used all of mine for the day. After Thanksgiving I am planning on writing to the vd for the CFRs asking for information and such. I feel that it is time I start taking things seriously. I will see were God takes it from there. :)

Less confused and more at peace,
i<3f.

dominicansoul

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1321982234' post='2339460']
Thank you ds. I would give this props but apparently I have used all of mine for the day. After Thanksgiving I am planning on writing to the vd for the CFRs asking for information and such. I feel that it is time I start taking things seriously. I will see were God takes it from there. :)

Less confused and more at peace,
i<3f.
[/quote]

I also wanted to add....

...I know what you mean when you say, "I didn't really want religious life, but I am almost definitely sure that God is desiring this of me." hahaha--that's us all right! WE humans are constantly going against the grain when it comes to accepting God's will for us. AT this point in your life, the Lord may be "speaking" to you in ways you have never heard before. These are best kept between yourself and your spiritual director, (when you get one,) and your best friend, or someone you can trust who you can share these things with. Always remember that "Mary kept these things in her heart." She didn't go out sharing too much, because a lot of what was stirring in her soul was meant for her and God alone. Plus, if she had opened up and shared with everybody, she would have been barraged with people's opinions and voices that were not from God. Discernment is serious business between you and God, and only those whom He deems necessary for you to make decisions. Be prudent in what you share while you are awakening to what you perceive to be the precious "Call" that God has chosen from you since before you were born. :)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321988641' post='2339504']

I also wanted to add....

...I know what you mean when you say, "I didn't really want religious life, but I am almost definitely sure that God is desiring this of me." hahaha--that's us all right! WE humans are constantly going against the grain when it comes to accepting God's will for us. AT this point in your life, the Lord may be "speaking" to you in ways you have never heard before. These are best kept between yourself and your spiritual director, (when you get one,) and your best friend, or someone you can trust who you can share these things with. Always remember that "Mary kept these things in her heart." She didn't go out sharing too much, because a lot of what was stirring in her soul was meant for her and God alone. Plus, if she had opened up and shared with everybody, she would have been barraged with people's opinions and voices that were not from God. Discernment is serious business between you and God, and only those whom He deems necessary for you to make decisions. Be prudent in what you share while you are awakening to what you perceive to be the precious "Call" that God has chosen from you since before you were born. :)
[/quote]

Wow, thanks ds! Even though this wasn't directed at me, it is very useful to me. I like the quote about Mary. I'm always trying to be more like my Mother. :)

i<3franciscans

Yes thank you so much! That is so insightful and wonderful. We often times get so caught up in ourselves that we forget our common sense. :) You are wonderful ds.

(edited because of typo)

Edited by i<3franciscans