An Old School Catholic Message Board

What To Do, What To Do.....

i<3LSOP

brandelynmarie

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1322359131' post='2340928']
Those God has INVITED (not commanded) to religious life will have three basic signs:

An attraction to the life
Ability to lead the life
Acceptance into the life

Signs of vocation are more than just an attraction to the life and full acceptance into religious life occurs with final vows. Until final vows, it is a journey of discernment for both individual and the community.
[/quote]

Yes. :) For some, part of their journey is to be with a community for a time & then to let go. Or look at St. Gemma:

"The next major event in Gemma’s life happened when she was only 19 years old with the passing of her father. Gemma was left orphaned and without any means of support. Soon after this event, Gemma experienced a long and serious illness. As her conditioned worsened, she developed spinal curvature and even paralysis. It was believed that no medical remedy could cure her. With hopes of a miracle, one of the sisters gave Gemma a novena card along with the story of the life of the young Passionist, Gabriel Possenti. On her deathbed, Gemma fervently prayed to him. During the prayers of the Novena, Gabriel appeared to Gemma. In promising her that she would wear the same habit he did, Gabriel told her that she would be blessed with a cure and that a special grace was being prepared for her.

The miracle of a cure came on March 2, 1899. Then, on the evening of June 8, 1899, while she prayed with Jesus in his sufferings, the Blessed Mother appeared to Gemma and spoke of the grace she was to receive. She described what took place in her own words:
“At that moment Jesus appeared with all his wounds open, but from these wounds there no longer came forth blood, but flames of fire. In an instant these flames came to touch my hands, my feet and my heart. I felt as if I were dying, and should have fallen to the ground had not my mother held me up, while all the time I remained beneath her mantle. I had to remain several hours in that position. Finally she kissed my forehead, all vanished, and I found myself kneeling. But I still felt great pain in my hands, feet and heart. I rose to go to bed, and became aware that blood was flowing from those parts where I felt pain. I covered them as well as I could, and then helped by my Angel, I was able to go to bed … .”

During the remainder of Gemma’s life, many witnessed this recurring miracle of the holy stigmata.
Soon after this extraordinary blessing, Gemma made the Holy Year mission at the Cathedral of St. Martin where she first met the Passionist missionary, Father Cajetan. He listened to her miraculous story and allowed her to take private vows.

Through Father Cajetan she was introduced to Father Germano Ruoppolo. At the time, Father Germano was the postulator general working on the cause for the beatification of St. Gabriel. An eminent theologian and well acquainted with mystical prayer, Father Germano recognized Gemma’s profound, prayerful life. In their prayerful conversations, Gabriel continued to promise Gemma that she would become a Passionist Nun. It is believed that due to health problems, Gemma would, in fact, remain a layperson and was never to become a nun. For this sacrifice, the Lord told Gemma that a convent would come to Lucca through the work of her spiritual father, Father Germano.

Our Lord called Gemma home on Holy Saturday, April 11, 1903. One of the sisters present clothed Gemma’s body in the habit of the Passionists, the order to which she had aspired. On October 3, 1905, Father Germano obtained a letter of authorization from Pope Pius X for the foundation of the convent in Lucca. In 1906 Euphemia Gianini entered, taking the name Gemma Magdalena. How proud Gemma would have been! The convent grew and flourished. Pope Pius XII canonized Gemma Galgani in 1940. Her body is buried in the chapel of the new convent at Lucca.

Although Gemma Galgani was not a Passionist in the canonical sense, God raised her up as a true paradigm for those with a desire to follow St. Paul. Such a commitment demands an inner conformity to the Passion. Marked with the physical wounds of Jesus, Gemma reminds Passionists how they are called to keep the memory of the Passion alive not only in word but in actions. Through example and suffering, the Passionists must live a loving commitment to follow Jesus crucified, in a generous resolve to proclaim his passion and death with faith and love. For as the original rule states, Passionists are called “to suffer many things,” not only for the glory of God and for their own personal salvation, but also "for the salvation of others."

Just more things for all of us to think about. :)

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1322406335' post='2341165']

I smiled when you said "listen to the holy spirit" this morning because last night because this is for me the "big New Year" I stayed up till 12:00 and I had put a devotion or saint on a piece of paper drew one and put it into an envelope closed it and ripped it open to see what or who it was. It was St. Damien. St. Damien helped to show me that I was called to religious life. Then I drew a Saint for Advent, St. Joseph it happened to be. The order I'm thinking of adores St. Joseph and they turn to him for everything. The Little Sisters even have a statue of him in there pockets. Then I drew one for my life long friend, it was the holy spirit. I was so elated last night at 12:15 in the morning that it I was jumping up and down and so joyful and couldn't fall asleep. Ya'll and this little thing last night helped me so much, thank you. :)
[/quote]

Those are wonderful saints you drew there. :) Is it St Damien of Molokai? I love him too. He had a very profound influence on me as a young Catholic. We were taught about him in our religious studies class when I was thirteen years old (this wasn't a Catholic school, but we spent a term looking at Christian figures picked out by the teacher) and I can remember being moved to tears by what Damien did with this life. When I heard what had been inscribed on his tombstone - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends" - I saw the connection very clearly between what Damien had done for those sick people who had effectively been kicked out of life, and what Jesus did for us on the cross. I celebrate his feast day every year.

St Joseph and St Damien will love and pray for you no matter what you do, but I would caution you against using them as proof that you are called to religious life. It isn't sensible to look for signs like this, and being too attached to signs can actually hurt your faith and your understanding of Our Lord. The three things Barbara listed are the only signs accepted by the Church of someone being called to religious life - and as you can see, they are very practical and down-to-earth! For now, I think it's wisest just to concentrate on your life as it is, and have a beautiful and blessed Advent. The future is with God. Try and give him the present too. :)

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1322410791' post='2341177']

Those are wonderful saints you drew there. :) Is it St Damien of Molokai? I love him too. He had a very profound influence on me as a young Catholic. We were taught about him in our religious studies class when I was thirteen years old (this wasn't a Catholic school, but we spent a term looking at Christian figures picked out by the teacher) and I can remember being moved to tears by what Damien did with this life. When I heard what had been inscribed on his tombstone - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends" - I saw the connection very clearly between what Damien had done for those sick people who had effectively been kicked out of life, and what Jesus did for us on the cross. I celebrate his feast day every year.

St Joseph and St Damien will love and pray for you no matter what you do, but I would caution you against using them as proof that you are called to religious life. It isn't sensible to look for signs like this, and being too attached to signs can actually hurt your faith and your understanding of Our Lord. The three things Barbara listed are the only signs accepted by the Church of someone being called to religious life - and as you can see, they are very practical and down-to-earth! For now, I think it's wisest just to concentrate on your life as it is, and have a beautiful and blessed Advent. The future is with God. Try and give him the present too. :)
[/quote]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Oh I would never say that I am called to Religious Life because of them, it just helped me a little bit since I was getting a bit discouraged. :)[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive] I try not to think about the future and enjoy now. I savor every moment with my family, friends, the Sisters and I love the present. Life is amesome, yet sometimes difficult, but I don't sit away staring at the window wondering and worrying about the future. Here is a poem that my family cherishes:[/font][/size][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I was regretting the past[/font][/size][/left][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000]and fearing the future. [/color][/font][/size][/left]

[center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] Suddenly my Lord was speaking:[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] "My name is I AM"[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b] He paused.[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] I waited. He continued,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"When you live in the past[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]with its mistakes and regrets, [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]it is hard. I am not there. [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]My name is not I WAS.[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b]When you live in the future,[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]with its problems and fears,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]it is hard. I am not there. [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]My name is not I WILL BE.[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b]When you live in this moment[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]it is not hard. I am here,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]My name is I AM."[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center]
[left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/size][/left][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000]God is in the present and where He is, I try to be. :)[/color][/font][/size][/left]

Edited by i<3LSOP

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1322419702' post='2341216']

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Oh I would never say that I am called to Religious Life because of them, it just helped me a little bit since I was getting a bit discouraged. :)[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive] I try not to think about the future and enjoy now. I savor every moment with my family, friends, the Sisters and I love the present. Life is amesome, yet sometimes difficult, but I don't sit away staring at the window wondering and worrying about the future. Here is a poem that my family cherishes:[/font][/size][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I was regretting the past[/font][/size][/left][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000]and fearing the future. [/color][/font][/size][/left]

[center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3] Suddenly my Lord was speaking:[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3] "My name is I AM"[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b] He paused.[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3] I waited. He continued,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]"When you live in the past[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]with its mistakes and regrets, [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]it is hard. I am not there. [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]My name is not I WAS.[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b]When you live in the future,[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]with its problems and fears,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]it is hard. I am not there. [/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]My name is not I WILL BE.[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b]When you live in this moment[/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]it is not hard. I am here,[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center][center][b][color=#000000][font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]My name is I AM."[/size][/font][/color][/b][/center]
[left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/size][/left][left][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000000]God is in the present and where He is, I try to be. :)[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[/quote]
I LOVE this!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1322406335' post='2341165']

I smiled when you said "listen to the holy spirit" this morning because last night because this is for me the "big New Year" I stayed up till 12:00 and I had put a devotion or saint on a piece of paper drew one and put it into an envelope closed it and ripped it open to see what or who it was. It was St. Damien. St. Damien helped to show me that I was called to religious life. Then I drew a Saint for Advent, St. Joseph it happened to be. The order I'm thinking of adores St. Joseph and they turn to him for everything. The Little Sisters even have a statue of him in there pockets. Then I drew one for my life long friend, it was the holy spirit. I was so elated last night at 12:15 in the morning that it I was jumping up and down and so joyful and couldn't fall asleep. Ya'll and this little thing last night helped me so much, thank you. :)
[/quote]
Ah! That is so avvesome! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1322410791' post='2341177']

St Joseph and St Damien will love and pray for you no matter what you do, but I would caution you against using them as proof that you are called to religious life.[b] It isn't sensible to look for signs like this, and being too attached to signs can actually hurt your faith and your understanding of Our Lord. [/b]The three things Barbara listed are the only signs accepted by the Church of someone being called to religious life - and as you can see, they are very practical and down-to-earth! For now, I think it's wisest just to concentrate on your life as it is, and have a beautiful and blessed Advent. The future is with God. Try and give him the present too. :)
[/quote]
I have really come to realize how true this is the past year. My faith and trust has grown since I stopped asking for "signs" and just trusting God would take care of everything. It made life (generally) more peaceful and it gave me a sense of freedom. I was no longer clings to signs to keep my faith strong; now I only cling to Jesus. :)