An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Seeks End To Death Penalty

Sarah147

"[i]Pope Benedict XVI voiced support Wednesday for political actions around the world aimed at eliminating the death penalty, reflecting his stance as an opponent of capital punishment.

He made the comments during his weekly public audience to participants at a meeting being promoted by the Catholic Sant'Egidio Community on the theme "No Justice without Life.[/i]"
[url="http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-seeks-end-death-penalty-15056658#.TteRv9U7Isk"]Read more[/url]

I just came across this on Catholic Answers.

Waits for the inevitable responses from certain catholics about how the Pope's opinion is both not dogma and wrong.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1323136348' post='2345239']
Waits for the inevitable responses from certain catholics about how the Pope's opinion is both not dogma and wrong.
[/quote]
Who certain catholics?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1323138574' post='2345268']
Who certain catholics?
[/quote]

were you around for the last big thread on the Death Penalty?

brianthephysicist

I hope so too.

It's often easy for me to overlook the death penalty when I think about what I can do to spread a culture of life. It's good to have reminders like this from our Church leaders.

Prayers! :amen:

I never understood the need for the death penalty in a society that can construct brick building with steel doors.

Edited by Papist

dominicansoul

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1323169632' post='2345416']
Doesn't the Pope know that the power to execute criminals has been given to the state by God?
[/quote]

:hehe2:

[size=4][b]Catechism of the Council of Trent[/b][/size]

The power of life and death is permitted to certain civil magistrates because theirs is the responsibility under law to punish the guilty and protect the innocent. Far from being guilty of breaking this commandment [Thy shall not kill], such an execution of justice is precisely an act of obedience to it. For the purpose of the law is to protect and foster human life. This purpose is fulfilled when the legitimate authority of the State is exercised by taking the guilty lives of those who have taken innocent lives.

In the Psalms we find a vindication of this right: “Morning by morning I will destroy all the wicked in the land, cutting off all evildoers from the city of the Lord” (Ps. 101:8).

[right][size=2][size=3]([i]Roman Catechism of the Council of Trent[/i], 1566, Part III, 5, n. 4[/size])[/size][/right]

Edited by Socrates

As a Christian, I am all forgiveness and whatnot.... but I do not really expect the government to be Christian with that whole "separation of Church and State" thingy... I am satisfied/surprised when the government runs things by Old Testament standards (ex. capital punishment if guilty of something very serious). On the other hand, do we really need to kill them now-a-days? I dunno? Probably not!

Laudate_Dominum

In terms of subjective values I think that killing people is disgraceful, no matter how defective the victim. Rehabilitation and containment are interesting. As a practical and sociological question I suspect that institutionalized people slaying is not so healthy for a society.