An Old School Catholic Message Board

"beaver Dam" - A Curse Word?

DMcB

While on a Christian Hip Hop website, I watched a video to a song that I felt was fantastic... I also read the comment thread to see if others were equally excited about this artist/song...turns out much of the comment thread was dedicated to the fact that the man said "beaver dam" in his rap.

He didn't say "God beaver dam", or "beaver dam you", but instead "beaver dam right." The term was used in a positive context...think: "beaver dam right we're best friends."

Now, some in the thread said they weren't going to listen to the song because of this lyric...and expressed disappointment in the artist, as they recognized his talent and the otherwise amesomeness of the song.

I completely understand holding Catholic/Christian artist/entertainers/etc. to a different standard than the secular world - and I certainly appreciate those creating art, entertainment, literature, etc. with Christian sensibilities in mind. But my first question is this: Are those "boycotting" this song/artist over the word "beaver dam" going too far?

So while I understand I may be showing my slip on this one, if 'beaver dam' is a curse word, I gotta ask - Why?

Thanks for your time and understanding on this one.

well, dUSt philters it on this site. :|

your post is very humorous...but I'm pretty sure peeps know what you're talking about ;)

umm, I'm not sure, to be honest, in regards to your question.

AccountDeleted

I had to google the term to see what it means and found this thread on phatmass about swear words... sounds like it is a 'curse' as in the original meaning of curse as opposed to just a swear word.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/107588-swearing/"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/107588-swearing/[/url]

LR:

Yeah, I did get a little chuckle out of "previewing" my post only to find the D-word replaced with beaver dam...but, being the intrepid dimwit that I am, I still had to ask. I can only imagine how the OP must read...so I should state that I am not being a punk looking to bicker over words; nor am I bothered that the D Bomb is filtered on PM. In fact, I rarely use the word as it does seem rather unbecoming.

Then again, the fact that these words are called "curse words" could be the key to understanding the root of all their evil. Sadly, I don't have any clue on this one...but I'm trying ;-)

InPersonaChriste

They're called curse words because they are bad magic.....

And they are magic because they are stored in the emotional receptors of the brain and not where the other words are stored.

And I will stop being nerdy....

Edited by InPersonaChriste

IPC...if the bad magic words are stored in brain receptors, where are all the non-bad magic words stored?

And what/who are "fiddlers"?

...I'm starting to think I need to polish up before calling myself Catholic around here...you all have instant-recall knowledge that I am shamefully unaware of.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DMcB' timestamp='1323232204' post='2346251']
Nunsense...a fine find, indeed. Thanks for posting that thread.
[/quote]

My pleasure :)

[quote name='DMcB' timestamp='1323232477' post='2346257']
IPC...if the bad magic words are stored in brain receptors, where are all the non-bad magic words stored?

And what/who are "fiddlers"?

...I'm starting to think I need to polish up before calling myself Catholic around here...you all have instant-recall knowledge that I am shamefully unaware of.
[/quote]

MissScripture got to this before I could. And don't worry about all the unknown 'phatmass' stuff - over time you will simply absorb the knowledge! :P I have been here since 2007 but still had to start a thread about all the relationships here because I simply didn't know who was related to whom and how. Ask questions but be prepared to be teased and laughed at - sometimes you have to work a little harder to get a 'serious' response from anyone. But at heart, I think most of us are basically pretty nice people. :)

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1323232860' post='2346265']
Ask questions but be prepared to be teased and laughed at - sometimes you have to work a little harder to get a 'serious' response from anyone.[/quote]
You'd think the Brainiacs around here would be more charitable with their words...aren't they afraid that I may fall for any old answer given from the first boy that tells me I'm pretty :cry:

And I'm glad to know that fiddlers aren't some ancient Catholic society that others purposely never told me about, because, you know, on account of being wayward into my mid-20s.

[quote]But at heart, I think most of us are basically pretty nice people. :)
[/quote]
So you say :hehe2:

[quote name='DMcB' timestamp='1323233666' post='2346271']So you say :hehe2:[/quote]
it depends on whether you've caught me on a good day or not :evil:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1323234541' post='2346276']
it depends on whether you've caught me on a good day or not :evil:
[/quote]

those pesky mood swings again :P

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='DMcB' timestamp='1323232477' post='2346257']

[/quote]

In the prayer receptors :amen:

And I said the "emotional receptors" not the brain...

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1323237843' post='2346296']
And I said the "emotional receptors" not the brain...
[/quote]

Just goes to show that I have no business forum posting after 7 pm...brain dead :stars: