An Old School Catholic Message Board

"beaver Dam" - A Curse Word?

DMcB

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='DMcB' timestamp='1323230670' post='2346228']
While on a Christian Hip Hop website, I watched a video to a song that I felt was fantastic... I also read the comment thread to see if others were equally excited about this artist/song...turns out much of the comment thread was dedicated to the fact that the man said "beaver dam" in his rap.

He didn't say "God beaver dam", or "beaver dam you", but instead "beaver dam right." The term was used in a positive context...think: "beaver dam right we're best friends."

Now, some in the thread said they weren't going to listen to the song because of this lyric...and expressed disappointment in the artist, as they recognized his talent and the otherwise amesomeness of the song.

I completely understand holding Catholic/Christian artist/entertainers/etc. to a different standard than the secular world - and I certainly appreciate those creating art, entertainment, literature, etc. with Christian sensibilities in mind. But my first question is this: Are those "boycotting" this song/artist over the word "beaver dam" going too far?

So while I understand I may be showing my slip on this one, if 'beaver dam' is a curse word, I gotta ask - Why?

Thanks for your time and understanding on this one.
[/quote]

I don't think it counts as a "real" bad word the way the artist was using it. But at the same time it's awfully close, and probably is more like a "gateway" curse word. Like, it might not be a sin in itself but it's still not a good idea. Depending on the artist's audience, it probably wasn't very prudent to use that word. But at the same time boycotting the artist is too extreme of a reaction. I probably wouldn't play that song at youth group, though.

here's my short version: language changes, words in their colloquial usage vary from their original meanings or their prescribed dictionary definitions

the F-word doesn't always refer to sex
the D-word doesn't always refer to literal hell fire and damnation
the B-word doesn't always refer to women in a pejorative way
even in hip-hop many people are angered by the N-word, but essentially it doesn't always mean the same thing it once did

The sound-meaning connection within words are arbitrary to begin with and are constantly morphing over time. I personally don't sweat it too much but that could just be because I'm from a mouthy Irish family ;)

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1323299016' post='2346866']
What rapper are you talking about?
[/quote]

Shad - Keep Shinning...and for what it's worth, he drops the slang use of "brains" and I didn't see a single comment on that one! I'm assuming some didn't make the connection or are unfamiliar with the word's alternate meaning.

About a week before I heard this song and read the comment thread, I heard the tail end of Catholic Answers with guest Dr. Pia de Solenni (11/23/11). Toward the end of the segment, Staples, de Solenni, and a caller have an interesting conversation on funny, irony, and being a prude. Worth checking out.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

pax domine bretheren, i will tell you why that word is a bad word because if anyone has the right to do such a thing it is god and god alone, one can not even do that to a tree that pokes you in the eye.

Mark of the Cross

Wiki
[quote]Following the religious meaning, the words [i](beaver dam)[/i] and [i]g[/i][i](beaver dam) [/i]are a common form of religious [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity"]profanity[/url], in modern times often [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change"]semantically weakened[/url] to the status of mere [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interjection"]interjections[/url].[/quote]

As an alternative I don't see anything wrong with using [i]dam (no beaver). [/i]Which simply means to block. eg I don't give a [i]dam[/i] ([i]no beaver)[/i] what you say! Meaning I won't stop you from saying it.

I was at a business meeting once with an incredibly hot co worker from another office. He always said mercy! when any other 20 something guy would have said d!!n or s!!t. Never saw him again, but I'll bet he was a president or managing partner later in his career. Very, very coool.