An Old School Catholic Message Board

Something We All Should Think About Before Dating

carmelite15

MarysLittleFlower

I was advised not to date while discerning religious life.. only if i discern marriage. It can get very confusing that way. It can also be a big distraction.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I have once heard discernment for religious life as "dating God" which I think is true. You wouldn't date two guys at once, so why date a guy and God? That said if you are in a relationship and start "poking around" the possibility of religious life that would be ok, just as long as you are honest with the guy that you are dating. In the early stages of discernment I wouldn't be in a big hurry to dump a guy just because you are thinking about the possibility of religious life. Eventually you will have to make a decision as to continue dating the guy (discerning marriage) or to go further with discerning religious life.
This is just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

I was hours away from getting engaged when I realised God was calling me to be a nun. The relationship had needed serious discernment already as my boyfriend was also discerning a call to the Anglican priesthood and I needed to be sure if I could handle being a vicars wife so its not as if God was kept out of our relationship! Discernment is about asking God to show His plan for our lives, if we ignore the prompting we are not truely discerning. It would be wrong to lead someone on but...

I do not think its wrong to tell someone who asks you out that you are discerning and then slowly and tentatively see what happens - that person may be the answer to your question of what does God will.

[quote]I do not think its wrong to tell someone who asks you out that you are discerning and then slowly and tentatively see what happens - that person may be the answer to your question of what does God will. [/quote]

I did do this, and got positive responses, but never heard back from them.

FutureSister2009

I agree with Faith. I've heard so many stories about people who were in relationships before they realized God was calling them differently. It happens a lot. Which is why I'm open to anything now

Futuresis, I cant find the other thread at the mo but I wanted to say I am amazed and delighted at the change in you in the few wks Ive been away. It seems something has 'clicked' and you are now truely discerning and open to Gods will, rather than persuing your own plans regardless. It is wonderful to witness!

FutureSister2009

Thanks. A lot has been happening to me over the last few weeks that has really made me see that God really does want me to hold off a little bit because He does have a plan for me and He will reveal it to me when He knows I am ready for it. In the meantime, I'm just trying to have fun

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323701462' post='2349761']
Thanks. A lot has been happening to me over the last few weeks that has really made me see that God really does want me to hold off a little bit because He does have a plan for me and He will reveal it to me when He knows I am ready for it. In the meantime, I'm just trying to have fun
[/quote]

So true. God reveals His will to us when the time is right, no sooner and no later. I pray you will be open to God' will whenever it is that He chooses to reveal it to you.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323701462' post='2349761']
[/quote]

prayers for you!

Little Flower

Sometimes I wish I could date. But then again dating in high school generally brings everyone involved misery. So yeah. Plus I'm not allowed to date anyway. Anyhow nobody's ever axed me out anyway. :)

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

My mama always told me this,

"Don't worry about a guy coming to ask you to dance, just dance with God and maybe the right guy will cut in, or maybe God will want to keep dancing. He always wants to dance with you."

She told me this when I was in middle school when I first started going to school dances. My mother taught me a wise lesson in a simple way to keep dancing with God and trusting Him with everything especially with relationships and vocations.

lol...what do you do when you have been dating the same guy for a few years and now suddenly thoughts of discerning religious life pop into your head :P

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1323753405' post='2350213']
lol...what do you do when you have been dating the same guy for a few years and now suddenly thoughts of discerning religious life pop into your head :P
[/quote]

It never hurts to acknowledge the beauty of each vocation.