An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Of Us Want A Religion That Teaches Moral Limitations?

southern california guy

dominicansoul

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1323721938' post='2349881']
So then isn't the priest dropping the ball there in agreeing to marry them? It's his job to make sure that's not the case. If a couple goes into marriage prep specifically intending to deceive the priest and con him into performing the wedding then that's one thing, but for the average, lazy cultural Catholics who are kist doing it because they want their ceremony in their favourite church...?
[/quote]

Our Lady of Fatima prophesied in 1917, that, in the future, "marriages will offend God very much, and many will not be blessed." This is what we are witnessing today...

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1323797823' post='2350428']

I have never understood the reason why a priest would deny baptism to a child. A wedding? Absolutely. Confirmation? Sure. I do not get denying anyone baptism
[/quote]
It is my understanding that for a priest to Baptize a baby/child, it is required to be of the parent(s) wishes. But I don't think this is what we're talking here.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323799970' post='2350460']

Our Lady of Fatima prophesied in 1917, that, in the future, "marriages will offend God very much, and many will not be blessed." This is what we are witnessing today...
[/quote]
That does seem to be the case. That's hit rather close to home for me lately because around a month and a half ago my parents told us that they're separating, and I believe they're both intending to date again.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323799970' post='2350460']

[/quote]
That true? Wow! Our Lady sure knows what she is talking about. Maybe more people should pay attention and listen to her.

southern california guy

[quote name='organwerke' timestamp='1323686765' post='2349702']

Ok, but how do you reconcile SCG's position on annulments with the Catholic teaching?
Why a person who got an annulment and remarried should be seen with prejudice when receives Communmion?
This happens, and I've seen it. And the paradox is that this kind of critics mainly comes from people who don't consider themsleves in line with the Catholic Church, and from people who are divorced and judge annulments as a "priviliege" for catholics. But the simple fact is that there are marriages who are really invalid, and marriages which aren't. Those who think their marriage may be invalid may ask for annulment, there is no privilege for catholics rather than non-catholics.
I understand the concerns of giving too many annulments (but I am firmly persuaded that the main problem is not giving annulments, but letting to celebrate too many marriages that are very week from their origin), but at this point we return to the starting post: there are moral rules and limitations, but we could never know exactly and in detail who is living these rules and who is not, because we could not know many elements to judge.
So I judge the persons basically for what they preach (if they clairly say they are pro-abortion, pro communion to divorced and remarried people etc) and not for how I think they are living.
[/quote]

I never said that a person who got an annulment and remarried should be denied communion. You've seen this happen??

I was merely attempting to say that I prefer Priests -- and even other Christian religions -- that preach a good sermon -- and don't compromise in an attempt to please everybody. And then I tried to give examples of the sorts of controversial issues that I don't hear mentioned very often from the pulpit.

The issue of divorce is a tough one. Jesus took a pretty hardline position in Mark chapter ten. There are cases of arguably "valid" marriages that end in divorce -- for good reasons.. For instance if the husband/wife has acquired a drug addiction and become physically abusive and is endangering their spouse or kids then separation would be the best move. And if the abusive person files for divorce -- then you've got a divorce.. :(

Edited by southern california guy

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1323800078' post='2350465']That does seem to be the case. That's hit rather close to home for me lately because around a month and a half ago my parents told us that they're separating, and I believe they're both intending to date again.[/quote]

:( that s[i]u[/i]cks. :(

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1323823534' post='2350749']

:( that s[i]u[/i]cks. :([/quote]

Sure does. Now I live at two houses, and neither of them are exactly 'home'.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1323800078' post='2350465']
That does seem to be the case. That's hit rather close to home for me lately because around a month and a half ago my parents told us that they're separating, and I believe they're both intending to date again.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that

Mark of the Cross

[/quote]
What the others said. God gave them such a wonderful gift in you and they are in a sense rejecting that!

MissScripture

[/quote]
:ohno: Sorry to hear that. It was rough enough on me when my brother and his wife split up. I can't imagine it being parents. Prayers for you and your family!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1323797823' post='2350428']

I have never understood the reason why a priest would deny baptism to a child. A wedding? Absolutely. Confirmation? Sure. I do not get denying anyone baptism
[/quote]

Oh I don't have a problem with a baby being baptised, but I guess what I object to, and probably some priests, is that the parents and Godparents are promising in the ceremony to raise the child in the faith and to provide for their spiritual education. If this is the only time any of them ever come to Mass, you know they are lying. I don't know the answer. Some priests probably figure that at least the parents and Godparents are coming to Mass one day out of the year, and perhaps they will even come occasionally (Christmas and Easter) for the child later. Who knows? St Augustine waited to be baptised and I was baptised as a young adult but there are benefits in baptising the baby as soon as possible. Without the proper guidance however, they will probably not attend Mass either and will also probably fall into many other sins as well. I can see both sides of this question.