An Old School Catholic Message Board

Order Of Preachers

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

This is simply for us crazy fans to talk about how amesome they are, as well as add some discernment news with them if you like.

Although this is dominantly female, I'd like to ask that you don't forget us guys and all that we do in terms of the Dominicans! After all, from the beginning it was the women who stayed in the cloister, prayed, and taught the children, while the men went out and preached, risking their very lives at the hands of the Albigensians. That is not to undermine the work of the Dominican Nuns and Sisters most definitely. They (Along with Our Lady and the Rosary) are the backbone of the Dominican Order, after all.

brandelynmarie
:) So you are becoming a Dominican? I am discerning the Dominican cloister. :nunpray: Yes, the nuns & the Bretheren have always had a very unique spiritual relationship.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1324109386' post='2352707']
This is simply for us crazy fans to talk about how amesome they are, as well as add some discernment news with them if you like.

Although this is dominantly female, I'd like to ask that you don't forget us guys and all that we do in terms of the Dominicans! After all, from the beginning it was the women who stayed in the cloister, prayed, and taught the children, while the men went out and preached, risking their very lives at the hands of the Albigensians. That is not to undermine the work of the Dominican Nuns and Sisters most definitely. They (Along with Our Lady and the Rosary) are the backbone of the Dominican Order, after all.
[/quote]

How beautiful. Yes, of course, we won't forget the guys! :P

We need some OPs in my diocese. We have no Friars and the Sisters we do have, well, they are very distinguishable from the Ann Arbor or Nashville ones, not only because of the grey hair and bright clothes they wear but other stuff...meh.

Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare!

Edited by Maximilianus

The Central and Southern Provinces just got a new student priory in St. Louis!
Watch their vespers homilies at: [url="http://preachingfriars.org/"]http://preachingfriars.org/[/url]

Also, I would like to woot out for all the priests who are the chaplains for the Sisters. Because, we can't be those powerhouses of the Church- in prayer and apostolic works- without the Sacraments. And how wonderful it is for communities to have a Dominican chaplain who shares their motto "To contemplate and to give to others the fruits of your contemplation."

:love:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1324113314' post='2352711']
:) So you are becoming a Dominican? I am discerning the Dominican cloister. :nunpray: Yes, the nuns & the Bretheren have always had a very unique spiritual relationship.
[/quote]

No, actually. I am discerning with the Dominicans, however, I feel a strange tug towards the SOLT, plus, I am still discerning the Diocesan Priesthood and the Franciscans. To add to that, I still need to be older until I can pursue any of these options, so anything can happen in that time.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Nuns didn't just "stay in the cloister"....the cloister is the place where the Nuns also live our vocation "of the Order of Preachers". The Friars and Nuns are ONE order, carrying out the same mission of preaching for the salvation of souls but in different but complementary ways. St. Dominic so valued the vocation of the nuns that in Bologna he stopped the building of the friars' priory to get the nuns built first. He moved the friars out of san Sisto so that the nuns could have a monastery!

It is in the hearts of the nuns, in silence that the WORD bears fruit that the friars preach.

The Nuns have a very special love for the friars so we will be praying for you and for your vocation. You guys have to post on this forum to "balance it out" so that it doesn't be mostly female! :-)

I'd encourage you to go to the Vocations Weekends that the Province of St. Joseph has about 3 times a year.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1324132031' post='2352776']
The Central and Southern Provinces just got a new student priory in St. Louis!
Watch their vespers homilies at: [url="http://preachingfriars.org/"]http://preachingfriars.org/[/url]

:love:
[/quote]
YES!!! After 30 years they finally got their own priory!
This is the website they have set up about the whole project. [url="http://www.stdominicpriory.com/"]http://www.stdominicpriory.com/[/url] To see some pictures of their beautiful new home check out the updates blog.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1324209804' post='2353274']
The Nuns didn't just "stay in the cloister"....the cloister is the place where the Nuns also live our vocation "of the Order of Preachers". The Friars and Nuns are ONE order, carrying out the same mission of preaching for the salvation of souls but in different but complementary ways. St. Dominic so valued the vocation of the nuns that in Bologna he stopped the building of the friars' priory to get the nuns built first. He moved the friars out of san Sisto so that the nuns could have a monastery!

It is in the hearts of the nuns, in silence that the WORD bears fruit that the friars preach.

The Nuns have a very special love for the friars so we will be praying for you and for your vocation. You guys have to post on this forum to "balance it out" so that it doesn't be mostly female! :-)

I'd encourage you to go to the Vocations Weekends that the Province of St. Joseph has about 3 times a year.
[/quote]

I didn't say they just "stayed in the cloister". I remember saying that they were the backbone of the entire Dominican Order, since it is their job to pray for the preaching of the Friars, but not that they just "stayed in the cloister". I remember saying something like, "After all, it was the Nuns who stayed in the cloister", but I did not mean that out of disrespect or make it seem as if their job is less important. Their job is so important that Saint Dominic and his Friars wouldn't have succeeded without them!

Edited by FuturePriest387

I have a close friend who is planning on becoming a Dominican when after he graduates this year. Keep him in your prayers! His name is Emmanuel. He's ma :buddies:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1324264555' post='2353479']
I have a close friend who is planning on becoming a Dominican when after he graduates this year. Keep him in your prayers! His name is Emmanuel. He's ma :buddies:
[/quote]

He's your friend that's stitched to you at the hip?

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1324277393' post='2353578']
[/quote]
Well if you are stitched to him at the hip that means that you will have to join the Dominicans too!

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1324277393' post='2353578']
[/quote]

Yup.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1324319950' post='2353781']
Goodness, it never ends...
[/quote]

Werd.