An Old School Catholic Message Board

Buying A House

rachael

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1325045909' post='2358443']
We want to do this soon but I don't know how you work it with a lease expiring. So much work.
[/quote]well, in many states you can get out of your lease if you are moving so many miles away....

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1325046932' post='2358448']
I thought it said buying a Horse....
[/quote]

baha this is exactly what i was going to say. :like:

ooooh. i found one i reallllllly like. a fixer-upper (ugh, wood paneling). it's like 40-50k below our price range. it really is a buyer's market.

MissScripture
:like: I can't wait until we can start looking for our own house. I really like where we are renting, but it's way too small for long term, and like Icy said, we can't do with it what we want (although, the landlord did tell us to feel free to re-paint and redecorate as we desired. We changed two light fixtures, already, and painted the baby's room. And we put a tiny bit of landscaping in the front. But, of course, we don't want to do anything that will cost significant money, since it's not like we're keeping it!)

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1325202990' post='2359638']
Yeah, patience, money, and time. But exciting. Because this is yours to do with as you darn well please.
[/quote]

which is what i am so excited about.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1325203580' post='2359647']
:like: I can't wait until we can start looking for our own house. I really like where we are renting, but it's way too small for long term, and like Icy said, we can't do with it what we want (although, the landlord did tell us to feel free to re-paint and redecorate as we desired. We changed two light fixtures, already, and painted the baby's room. And we put a tiny bit of landscaping in the front. But, of course, we don't want to do anything that will cost significant money, since it's not like we're keeping it!)
[/quote]
lucky! we are in a community of mostly retirement-aged folks. they are very, very cranky about everything! the monthly meeting minutes for the property is hilarious.

MissScripture

We got lucky enough to find a guy who rents only this house. He basically told us to let him know if we need something --like something major breaks or something like that, but that as long as we didn't destroy the property we could do whatever. He is only renting the house out because the market is so bad he would've lost a ton on what he paid if he tried to sell it (he had bought it for his daughter to live in and she's since moved).

At our old place, we were super lucky, as well. The landlords for the apt building gave us permission to paint. When we moved they let us just leave the bedrooms painted, because the next tenants were okay with that, but they did have us pay to have the living room painted back (we could've done it on our own, too, but we didn't have time. It just came out of our security deposit, and we still got like half of it back).

The landlord before that was insane. When the garbage disposal broke and we called her she yelled at us for not calling sooner. When we got like 3 feet of snow, she yelled at us for not moving our vehicles out of the parking lot so that the plow could plow it out, despite the fact that we couldn't move them since there was three feet of snow! Then, she freaked out on me and told me that I wouldn't get anywhere in life if I didn't stop harassing people when I called to ask her if she had taken my name off the lease when she didn't call me to let me know she had gotten my note in the rent box that I was moving, as I'd requested (my roommate was staying there). :crazy:

ugh. i've had my horror stories as well.

so....they property managers have not given us our lease contract...but we've been living here since may. we were verbally told that we could only have cats, but we'd have to put some money down for them. ok. whatever. they didn't tell us how much until 5 months later, when they sent us a letter demanding the money. i called them up, had a chat with them, and they let the charges go.

they also told us that we could not have dogs....but seeing as they have yet to give us our lease contract (and our neighbor's lease, which is the same one as our, says *nothing* about having dogs...), we've adopted two of them. so....the owner of the condo and the property management company have no idea about them. well, they sent us a letter earlier this week saying the condo owner will be in on january 9th to 'inspect' the property. the dogs are going to doggie day care for the day. i figure, even if they try to get us in trouble, we'll be out before they can evict us. :|

Edited by rachael

MissScripture

And from what my previous landlord said (the one at the last place who was really amesome), it's really not as easy to evict people legally as tv makes it look. And especially if they haven't given you a contract. We can't have pets here, but we wouldn't have room in here for them and a baby, anyway.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1325207185' post='2359672']
And from what my previous landlord said (the one at the last place who was really amesome), it's really not as easy to evict people legally as tv makes it look. And especially if they haven't given you a contract. We can't have pets here, but we wouldn't have room in here for them and a baby, anyway.
[/quote]
:)
things are only looking up from here...