An Old School Catholic Message Board

Buying A House

rachael

i weirdly loooooooooooooooove this house. http://www.redfin.com/MD/Joppa/1405-Alexis-Dr-21085/home/14533639

although, its tiny

looks like we're moving closer to d.c.

we visited baltimore yesterday....and thought we'd be killed.

lol

I live in an inner city area that some friends won't visit after dark. Edmonton is the murder capital of Canada. There have been two murders on our block in the last two years, both visible from our bedroom window. I don't live here in fear. Every bad thing that happens in this neighborhood involves drugs and happens after 2am. If you aren't looking for drugs or a prostitute, or roaming around after dark with a bunch of money in your pocket, not so safe. Our building used to get broken into, but 5 years ago we converted the laundry to disposable plastic tokens, so nothing to steal. We love living here. In the daytime, it is full of excitement and culturally rich. We can eat the cuisine of a different country every day of the month within a 20 block radius. We don't have to commute from the suburbs and functioned quite well for the first four years without a car. I'd be bored in the country.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1325468590' post='2361410']
I live in an inner city area that some friends won't visit after dark. Edmonton is the murder capital of Canada. There have been two murders on our block in the last two years, both visible from our bedroom window. I don't live here in fear. Every bad thing that happens in this neighborhood involves drugs and happens after 2am. If you aren't looking for drugs or a prostitute, or roaming around after dark with a bunch of money in your pocket, not so safe. Our building used to get broken into, but 5 years ago we converted the laundry to disposable plastic tokens, so nothing to steal. We love living here. In the daytime, it is full of excitement and culturally rich. We can eat the cuisine of a different country every day of the month within a 20 block radius. We don't have to commute from the suburbs and functioned quite well for the first four years without a car. I'd be bored in the country.
[/quote]

:)

I feel ya about being bored in the country. I've always been a city person myself.

I love visiting areas like that. I think issue becomes when the rowhomes are caving in, every other house is condemned with a large red X over the door and you can see crime happening in broad daylight. Seriously, a police car was catching someone in the act every couple of blocks. There are certain areas around the city in which I felt safe, which it looked safe and which I would definitely live. But Matt, has been around crime-y (yea, I know it's not a word) areas all his life. He's the one deciding vote, as I enjoyed some of the areas.

Many areas of the city seem to suffer, instead, from a decisive lack of culture. It's like people gave up. :/ It's so dark and gloomy for some reason. We will probably live closer to D.C., which definitely has its bad areas as well. The city, as a whole, seems way more vibrant than Baltimore.

Edited by rachael