An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where My Priest Friend Says I Should Go

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I had a private talk with my friend Father Pascal recently, and he said that the place he thinks I'm tailor-made for is the F.S.S.P. I looked them up and they're really, really razzle dazzle. I'm hopefully going to call them tomorrow and get some more basic information (Age limit, academic expectations, etc). I'm getting nervous about the call, so you know that it's going to go well! :P

Of course, I have some fears, like them expecting me to go to college first. This is a non-negotiable, since I absolutely cannot afford it and do not foresee my family being able to afford it in the near future. Hopefully they will give me the good news that they don't, and that they'll accept me when I'm eighteen.

As a side note, does anyone know a Priest or Seminarian from the F.S.S.P.?

This is what their the FSSP seminary website says about colllege education:

[b]Does one have to have college experience to become a Fraternity seminarian?[/b]

College experience has certain advantages, such as increased academic ability and experience, [b][u][i]but it is not required[/i][/u][/b]. With some colleges the academic and moral corruption that are encountered make them incompatible with preparing for seminary. [emphasis mine}

If you are worried about finances, however, you may want to start saving now. Their site also says that tuition is about 22,000 dollars a year, but with the help of benefactors, it is usually about $7000. I don't know how much you can or cannot afford, but saving now is important.

Their site also has an admittance age of 18-35. Check out [url="http://www.fsspolgs.org"]http://www.fsspolgs.org[/url] for any other questions - their website is quite detailed and beautiful.

I've never met an FSSP priest, but I have never heard a bad word about them. I wish you all the best and may the Holy Spirit guide you.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='truthfinder' timestamp='1325655823' post='2362684']
This is what their the FSSP seminary website says about colllege education:

[b]Does one have to have college experience to become a Fraternity seminarian?[/b]

College experience has certain advantages, such as increased academic ability and experience, [b][u][i]but it is not required[/i][/u][/b]. With some colleges the academic and moral corruption that are encountered make them incompatible with preparing for seminary. [emphasis mine}

If you are worried about finances, however, you may want to start saving now. Their site also says that tuition is about 22,000 dollars a year, but with the help of benefactors, it is usually about $7000. I don't know how much you can or cannot afford, but saving now is important.

Their site also has an admittance age of 18-35. Check out [url="http://www.fsspolgs.org"]http://www.fsspolgs.org[/url] for any other questions - their website is quite detailed and beautiful.

I've never met an FSSP priest, but I have never heard a bad word about them. I wish you all the best and may the Holy Spirit guide you.
[/quote]

Thank you for the amesome news!

However, why would I have to pay a dime? Don't they live in community?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1325656742' post='2362685']
Thank you for the amesome news!

However, why would I have to pay a dime? Don't they live in community?
[/quote]

They are not a religious community in the sense of a monastery. They are a fraternal community - which means they have a particular way of life and a superior, but in many ways they are also responsible for their own individual needs - you'd have to ask them exactly the difference.

Also, please don't get the impression that if you would join a community - think actual monks here - that you wouldn't have to pay anything either. Many communities require that you pay for room and board and insurance, or some sort of combination of this, sometimes upto you becoming a professed member. In this past, and in the case of women in particular, this would be dealt with through a dowry. But don't be alarmed. I know seminarians from the diocesan seminary where I live that pay about the same tuition - even though they are supported by the diocese. They work as hard as they can in the summer months and make sure to forge good connections with their parish and the Knights of Columbus/ Serra groups. It can be done, it only means working as hard as you can to let God help you in turn.

Maximilianus

Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri = awes[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]o[/font]me.
That is all, carry on.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='truthfinder' timestamp='1325657299' post='2362686']
They are not a religious community in the sense of a monastery. They are a fraternal community - which means they have a particular way of life and a superior, but in many ways they are also responsible for their own individual needs - you'd have to ask them exactly the difference.

Also, please don't get the impression that if you would join a community - think actual monks here - that you wouldn't have to pay anything either. Many communities require that you pay for room and board and insurance, or some sort of combination of this, sometimes upto you becoming a professed member. In this past, and in the case of women in particular, this would be dealt with through a dowry. But don't be alarmed. I know seminarians from the diocesan seminary where I live that pay about the same tuition - even though they are supported by the diocese. They work as hard as they can in the summer months and make sure to forge good connections with their parish and the Knights of Columbus/ Serra groups. It can be done, it only means working as hard as you can to let God help you in turn.
[/quote]

Well, I looked at the website, and it thankfully said that if I cannot pay for everything, than they will not send me away. However, they ask that I frequently ask for benefactors and scholarships, as well as put up bulletins in my home parish asking for money. When it comes to that I think I'll go to the Cathedral instead, since my home parish has about ten families, and statistically I'll be lucky to get one or two benefactors. Not because people aren't generous, but because sometimes people have personal things to pay for first, which is perfectly fine.

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1325657384' post='2362687']
Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri = awes[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]o[/font]me.
That is all, carry on.
[/quote]

I completely agree. We should talk about their amazing demeanor sometime.

Edited by FuturePriest387

TheresaThoma

I also echo the advice about not getting too worried with the money side of things. If God is truly calling you to a certain order/vocation then He will take care of the details. It may not happen on our time schedule but it will happen if we put in a little effort things will work out.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1325660332' post='2362690']
I also echo the advice about not getting too worried with the money side of things. If God is truly calling you to a certain order/vocation then He will take care of the details. It may not happen on our time schedule but it will happen if we put in a little effort things will work out.
[/quote]

I completely agree. I shouldn't worry, and I should take the example of Saint John Bosco, who, when asked about the sheer cost of Seminary, said that God would take care of it. Obviously, he did. I believe one Priest he knew gave him thirty thousand or around there, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a lot of money.

However, as stated above, the Seminary will not send me anyway because I cannot pay for the fees. But it does ask that I get all of the benefactors that I can get. I think if I beg enough my family will only have to pay for about four thousand a year, since my family is well acquainted with almost all of the Priests here, as well as many other key benefactors, which will make my dad happy.

The seminaries I know would never send an applicant away based solely on financial status. You said your parish is small so that is definitely an obstacle for fundraising, but gaining the support of the bishop can help significantly ( I hope your bishop does support Traditional Latin Mass, or it might become difficult for you to fundraise at the catedral). I don't know about the FSSP, but the seminaries I know of send their seminarians to different parishes to help in various ministries - you could easily meet new people who would love to help a poor seminarian. :)

Place all your trust in God, He will direct you where ever He wants you.

(BTW, I quite like the fact the FSSP spends the entire first year on spiritual formation. This can be lacking in some seminaries)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='truthfinder' timestamp='1325660719' post='2362692']
The seminaries I know would never send an applicant away based solely on financial status. You said your parish is small so that is definitely an obstacle for fundraising, but gaining the support of the bishop can help significantly ( I hope your bishop does support Traditional Latin Mass, or it might become difficult for you to fundraise at the catedral). I don't know about the FSSP, but the seminaries I know of send their seminarians to different parishes to help in various ministries - you could easily meet new people who would love to help a poor seminarian. :)

Place all your trust in God, He will direct you where ever He wants you.

(BTW, I quite like the fact the FSSP spends the entire first year on spiritual formation. This can be lacking in some seminaries)
[/quote]

I think I buttered the Bishop up when I spoke with him for around twenty minutes about my Priestly vocation. He talked to me, gave me advice, and, to top it all off, he is extremely conservative, as far as I have seen.

Edited by FuturePriest387

That must be encouraging for you to have bishop who seems supportive. God bless you, and let us know how contacting the FSSP goes. I'll be :nunpray: and :goodnight:

Edited by truthfinder

InPersonaChriste

YAY!!!!!!

My Spritual Director (I.E frequent confessor) is an FSSP priest. AND! we currently have some Seminarians visiting him from Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary!

I also know Father Flood, who is (I think) the main leader or overseerer of the FSSP.

They are very holy zealous priests!

wow.. sorry tired! Lack of grammar...

Edited by InPersonaChriste

Hi! I have a friend who is an FSSP seminarian. I send him brownies sometimes. If you like I could see about putting you in touch.

dominicansoul

futurepriest,

The FSSP are my favorite order of priests. I donate to them on a regular basis to help curb the costs of teaching their seminarians. Now that you might be entering, I will have to raise the donation :smoky:

I wish you the very best, and I will pray for you!! Since the middle 90's I've been imploring our God to send some FSSPer's down to where I live. I dream of the day when I can go to a parish run by the FSSP...