An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where My Priest Friend Says I Should Go

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1325676316' post='2362706']
Hi! I have a friend who is an FSSP seminarian. I send him brownies sometimes. If you like I could see about putting you in touch.
[/quote]
Well, thank you for the offer, but I don't want to bother anyone quite yet. I can't enter Seminary until I'm a few years older, so I don't want them to get the idea that I'm coming tomorrow. However, if you're friend is going through the Diocese of Dodge City, Kansas one day, message me so I can meet him.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1325690682' post='2362759']
futurepriest,

The FSSP are my favorite order of priests. I donate to them on a regular basis to help curb the costs of teaching their seminarians. Now that you might be entering, I will have to raise the donation :smoky:

I wish you the very best, and I will pray for you!! Since the middle 90's I've been imploring our God to send some FSSPer's down to where I live. I dream of the day when I can go to a parish run by the FSSP...
[/quote]

Ha. By all means, pay for this twenty two thousand dollar tuition of mine. I'll take all the benefactors I can get. :P

You won't have to worry for too long. The Seminary is overflowing with Priests, and they even have to make people wait another year to enter for lack of room! I hope one day I can get a few FSSP Priests to my Diocese. We really need it, since we only have about sixteen or eighteen Priests, and only about five or seven Seminarians. They say that if things keep going like they are, we'll be out of Priests in thirty years or so, since most of them are older. It's astounding, really, when you take into account that the extremely Traditional Wichita Diocese right next to us has over fifty Seminarians. I don't know how many Priests they have, but many of their Parishes have at least two Priests, which is a wonder down here, when a Priest is forced to juggle between two or three parishes by himself. Yes, we could certainly use a few FSSP Priests!

Edited by FuturePriest387

inperpetuity

Hi Futurepriest, I have been going to a an FSSP parish for the last 6 yrs. I suggest you contact them anyway and let them guide you. They are not going to turn you away for lack of funds. There is a priest, a retired Jesuit, Fr. Dunn, who set up a fund for those who want to go to OLG seminary, but are without funds. It is called the St. Peter Claver Society, here is the link: [url="http://www.osjknights.com/StPeterClaverSocietyContactsUs.htm"]http://www.osjknight...yContactsUs.htm[/url] When he spoke in Monterey during the Latin Mass Magazine conference there, he told us "if you know of any young man that wants to go to the seminary,but is without funds, tell him to call me". I have kept this info. with me ever since. His contact info. is on the website. I will definitely pray for you.

Also, you could contact Fr. Gordon who is the pastor in Maple Hill, KS. at St. John Vianney parish just to talk to him. It's around 250 miles from you, but he's excellent.

Edited by inperpetuity

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FSSP rock super hard. Good for you for listening to your priest friend, my future priest friend won't listen to me, a future nun. :P I told him that he would make a great Carmelite friar, and he was like, yeah, whatever. :crazy:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1325701397' post='2362851']
Hi Futurepriest, I have been going to a an FSSP parish for the last 6 yrs. I suggest you contact them anyway and let them guide you. They are not going to turn you away for lack of funds. There is a priest, a retired Jesuit, Fr. Dunn, who set up a fund for those who want to go to OLG seminary, but are without funds. It is called the St. Peter Claver Society, here is the link: [url="http://www.osjknights.com/StPeterClaverSocietyContactsUs.htm"]http://www.osjknight...yContactsUs.htm[/url] When he spoke in Monterey during the Latin Mass Magazine conference there, he told us "if you know of any young man that wants to go to the seminary,but is without funds, tell him to call me". I have kept this info. with me ever since. His contact info. is on the website. I will definitely pray for you.

Also, you could contact Fr. Gordon who is the pastor in Maple Hill, KS. at St. John Vianney parish just to talk to him. It's around 250 miles from you, but he's excellent.
[/quote]

Oh wow. Thank you for this amazing information! I don't know how to thank you properly. I'll definitely say a Rosary for you and go to a Mass for you. Hopefully one day I'll say a Mass and put you in the list of things that the people pray for. I think something along the lines of "For the generous person that got me through Seminary:" will do.

I think we know Father Gordon, actually. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard his name before.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1325701695' post='2362855']
FSSP rock super hard. Good for you for listening to your priest friend, my future priest friend won't listen to me, a future nun. :P I told him that he would make a great Carmelite friar, and he was like, yeah, whatever. :crazy:
[/quote]You got the friar part right...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1325707905' post='2362909']
You got the friar part right...
[/quote]

Ha. Still partial to the Franciscan Friars, are we? :P

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1325654880' post='2362680']
I had a private talk with my friend Father Pascal recently, and he said that the place he thinks I'm tailor-made for is the F.S.S.P. I looked them up and they're really, really razzle dazzle. I'm hopefully going to call them tomorrow and get some more basic information (Age limit, academic expectations, etc). I'm getting nervous about the call, so you know that it's going to go well! :P

Of course, I have some fears, like them expecting me to go to college first. This is a non-negotiable, since I absolutely cannot afford it and do not foresee my family being able to afford it in the near future. Hopefully they will give me the good news that they don't, and that they'll accept me when I'm eighteen.

As a side note, does anyone know a Priest or Seminarian from the F.S.S.P.?
[/quote]

YES :) I went to an FSSP parish for several months last year, before I moved to another city. They're amesome. I loved the parish and the Mass was always reverent and beautiful. I think their seminaries must be very good because the priests are very knowledgeable and gave great advice/sermons. I hope it works out for you :) I dont know if they have to go to college before.. maybe this could be part of seminary (like getting a Philosophy degree)? I don't know. Find out what the options are :) there is also the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest, which is also a community of priests that do the Latin Mass: [url="http://www.institute-christ-king.org/"]http://www.institute-christ-king.org/[/url]

You might be interested in these sermons by Fr Ripperger, who is an FSSP priest :) [url="http://sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html"]http://sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html[/url]

God bless!

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1325690682' post='2362759']
futurepriest,

The FSSP are my favorite order of priests. I donate to them on a regular basis to help curb the costs of teaching their seminarians. Now that you might be entering, I will have to raise the donation :smoky:

I wish you the very best, and I will pray for you!! Since the middle 90's I've been imploring our God to send some FSSPer's down to where I live. I dream of the day when I can go to a parish run by the FSSP...
[/quote]

I wish they would start a parish around where I live also :( I was blessed to go to an FSSP parish for a while and I miss it now.

AccountDeleted

I love the FSSP but I would just make sure that you are fully committed to the EF if this is the community you choose. Two priests from the Latin Mass here were in the FSSP but when their Archbishop asked them concelebrate at NO Masses with him, their FSSP superiors would not give permission for them to do this. It caused a great deal of stress and conscience searching by these two men before they decided to ask for release from the FSSP and incardination in the diocese so they could choose to help their Archbishop as well as celebrate the Latin Mass. Now they run a community attached to the EF but also with the flexibility to concelebrate the NO when asked.

This isn't a criticism of the FSSP, the two priests here made their own choices, but perhaps they never envisaged such a conflict arising in their lives. And perhaps not all superiors would do things the same way, I only know the bare externals of the situation, as explained by the priests when they had to make the choice and separate from the FSSP.

The FSSP are a wonderful community.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1325721645' post='2363009']
I love the FSSP but I would just make sure that you are fully committed to the EF if this is the community you choose. Two priests from the Latin Mass here were in the FSSP but when their Archbishop asked them concelebrate at NO Masses with him, their FSSP superiors would not give permission for them to do this. It caused a great deal of stress and conscience searching by these two men before they decided to ask for release from the FSSP and incardination in the diocese so they could choose to help their Archbishop as well as celebrate the Latin Mass. Now they run a community attached to the EF but also with the flexibility to concelebrate the NO when asked.

This isn't a criticism of the FSSP, the two priests here made their own choices, but perhaps they never envisaged such a conflict arising in their lives. And perhaps not all superiors would do things the same way, I only know the bare externals of the situation, as explained by the priests when they had to make the choice and separate from the FSSP.

The FSSP are a wonderful community.
[/quote]

I am fully committed. I love the EF so much more than the OF. The OF is still great, but I prefer the EF myself.

This happened because the FSSP are fully committed to doing the EF. That's their entire thing. To allow them to do anything but the EF would be contradictory to the entire idea. Bishops need to realize that the FSSP are there for help, but they don't particularly have to be there. If it's causing a problem within the Parishes, than he was right to say that they needed to stop since his Diocese is his priority. However, he can't expect the FSSP to stop doing what they set out to do. It's a do or leave situation for the FSSP, and that's how it's hopefully always going to be. If he needs help, he can always request an Order such as the Franciscans in his Diocese to help out in this regard. Even then, this has caused much controversy, since Franciscans and other Orders have their priorities in the Order first, and Parish second. There are actually a shocking amount of controversies that happen when Orders help out because of their schedule. I can tell you more later if you like, but I need to pray before twelve, and the clock is ticking!

inperpetuity

[i]"I don't know how to thank you properly. I'll definitely say a Rosary for you and go to a Mass for you. Hopefully one day I'll say a Mass and put you in the list of things that the people pray for." [/i]

FP, any prayer you say for me is greatly needed and appreciated.

[i]"This happened because the FSSP are fully committed to doing the EF. That's their entire thing. To allow them to do anything but the EF would be contradictory to the entire idea. Bishops need to realize that the FSSP are there for help, but they don't particularly have to be there."[/i]

You are right, "concelebrating" the N.O. is a practice that goes contrary to the Tradition they were founded to protect. Those who wish to do otherwise are right to leave, they are in the wrong place. These priests have suffered much from bishops who don't understand or respect their purpose. It would be better if they would not allow them into their dioceses.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1325794038' post='2363552']
[i]"I don't know how to thank you properly. I'll definitely say a Rosary for you and go to a Mass for you. Hopefully one day I'll say a Mass and put you in the list of things that the people pray for." [/i]

FP, any prayer you say for me is greatly needed and appreciated.

[i]"This happened because the FSSP are fully committed to doing the EF. That's their entire thing. To allow them to do anything but the EF would be contradictory to the entire idea. Bishops need to realize that the FSSP are there for help, but they don't particularly have to be there."[/i]

You are right, "concelebrating" the N.O. is a practice that goes contrary to the Tradition they were founded to protect. Those who wish to do otherwise are right to leave, they are in the wrong place. These priests have suffered much from bishops who don't understand or respect their purpose. It would be better if they would not allow them into their dioceses.
[/quote]

Well, the FSSP go out to Dioceses to help, but sometimes the Bishop's don't particularly need what they have to offer. They offer the EF, and that's that. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't want the FSSP in their Diocese, though. The Seminarians go out to help Parishes every summer teaching Catechism classes to the children, as well as some other things. It's unfortunate that some don't care, despite the benefits to the people. And that's not even mentioning what the Priests do to help the parishes. Some people just have this idea that this old Mass and old way of thinking and doing things is boring and old, and so they run away from the EF.

inperpetuity

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1325721014' post='2363001']
YES :) I went to an FSSP parish for several months last year, before I moved to another city. They're amesome. I loved the parish and the Mass was always reverent and beautiful. I think their seminaries must be very good because the priests are very knowledgeable and gave great advice/sermons. I hope it works out for you :) I dont know if they have to go to college before.. maybe this could be part of seminary (like getting a Philosophy degree)? I don't know. Find out what the options are :) there is also the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest, which is also a community of priests that do the Latin Mass: [url="http://www.institute-christ-king.org/"]http://www.institute-christ-king.org/[/url]

You might be interested in these sermons by Fr Ripperger, who is an FSSP priest :) [url="http://sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html"]http://sensustraditi...multimedia.html[/url]

God bless!
[/quote]
Fr. Ripperger :saint2: