An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Sudden Call From Nowhere

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Late January to early March will mark one year of discerning Religious life. For all this time, I have discerned with Franciscans, Dominicans, Salesians, the F.S.S.P., and many other Communities, but very rarely Monastic Orders. I started out discerning with Benedictines, and I discerned with Carmelite Monks for a while, but after that, it was all about the active Orders. But now, for some reason, I have this strange fascination with Monastic life now. I am discerning with some Contemplative and somewhat active Benedictine Communities, as well as the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming, and I'm starting to see the beauty in it. I'm just not sure where this came from. My friend that's about to enter a Carmelite Convent said that she always thought I was called to be a Monk, but I always got angry at the suggestion. Now, I'm starting to think she may be right.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326158556' post='2366045']
Late January to early March will mark one year of discerning Religious life. For all this time, I have discerned with Franciscans, Dominicans, Salesians, the F.S.S.P., and many other Communities, but very rarely Monastic Orders. I started out discerning with Benedictines, and I discerned with Carmelite Monks for a while, but after that, it was all about the active Orders. But now, for some reason, I have this strange fascination with Monastic life now. I am discerning with some Contemplative and somewhat active Benedictine Communities, as well as the Carmelite Monks in Wyoming, and I'm starting to see the beauty in it. I'm just not sure where this came from. My friend that's about to enter a Carmelite Convent said that she always thought I was called to be a Monk, but I always got angry at the suggestion. Now, I'm starting to think she may be right.
[/quote]

Eh it doesn't sound like the call came out of left field :). All I can say is "yippie" on your discernment. Because at least now you're open to the idea (even if it turns out not to be where God is leading).

The words that came to be when I read your post was "take it con easy" (a quote from my dear uncle). Be at peace and just take it a step at a time. Soon enough you'll get a good sense of where God is leading.

Blessings,

InPersonaChriste

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-KLWUWCTs[/media]

If you are interested in Benedictines, I highly suggest this one. If you have any questions they are great, and I know half of them, Get in touch with Fr. Peter there :) He is very strong in his faith.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

PhuturePriest

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1326169630' post='2366178']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-KLWUWCTs[/media]

If you are interested in Benedictines, I highly suggest this one. If you have any questions they are great, and I know half of them, Get in touch with Fr. Peter there :) He is very strong in his faith.
[/quote]

Thank you for the wonderful video, and thank you all for the replies. However, for some reason, my enthusiasm for the Monastic life has left me. I'm not surprised, as this is what happens every time. I'm starting to think that the Lord is not calling me to this, but is simply trying to get me to be open to it. That way he can show me what he really wants from me. The Community I almost never lose enthusiasm for is the C.F.R., so perhaps I should just stop stressing about the long wait (You must be 22 and I'm fifteen) and enjoy my home life while I'm here. I've always been interested in being a politician, so perhaps I'll do that during the four year wait once I'm eighteen? I know that's quite young for politics normally, but I've had a real job since I was seven or eight, so I know how businesses work and how economies run quite well.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326170584' post='2366184']
Thank you for the wonderful video, and thank you all for the replies. However, for some reason, my enthusiasm for the Monastic life has left me. I'm not surprised, as this is what happens every time. I'm starting to think that the Lord is not calling me to this, but is simply trying to get me to be open to it. That way he can show me what he really wants from me. The Community I almost never lose enthusiasm for is the C.F.R., so perhaps I should just stop stressing about the long wait ([b]You must be 22 and I'm fifteen[/b]) and enjoy my home life while I'm here. I've always been interested in being a politician, so perhaps I'll do that during the four year wait once I'm eighteen? I know that's quite young for politics normally, but I've had a real job since I was seven or eight, so I know how businesses work and how economies run quite well.
[/quote]

Ahh! Well you sound much older to me! Just continue growing in Holiness. I did only suggest Benedictines of Christ the King because I have a soft spot for Benedictines and my elder brothers attended seminary there (as a completely different sidenote, it would be razzle dazzle if you looked into the Minors haha). I hope you have a very strong spiritual director to help you through your discernment period! I myself have only had 2 sessions with a spiritual director, and I have struggled immensly because of it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1326170896' post='2366187']

Ahh! Well you sound much older to me! Just continue growing in Holiness. I did only suggest Benedictines of Christ the King because I have a soft spot for Benedictines and my elder brothers attended seminary there (as a completely different sidenote, it would be razzle dazzle if you looked into the Minors haha). I hope you have a very strong spiritual director to help you through your discernment period! I myself have only had 2 sessions with a spiritual director, and I have struggled immensly because of it.
[/quote]

You know, I'm always told that. Perhaps I need to dump the English language into the trash and spit on it like my fellow generation? :P

I feel your pain. I too have only had two sessions. And with two different Priests, I might add. The first time was pleasant but I am no longer allowed to see that Priest, and the second Priest was a friend, but we didn't talk about my vocation all that much, sadly. Also, I wasn't too comfortable with my surroundings, and I was doing my best not to stammer all over the place. Hopefully I can see him again soon so we speak more about my discernment, and in a place without too much background noise.

FP - If you can go from enthusiasm for monasticism to lack of enthusiasm for monasticism in a period of 3 hours & 21 minutes (first post to negation of first post), then it wasn't 'a call.' It was a momentary interest, or a whim, or curiosity, or something, but it wasn't 'a call.'

At this stage, when one of those interests/curiosities/whims strikes you, do some reading - gather some information. But don't misinterpret it as the finger of God pointing you in a particular direction.

Once you've got a lot of information, and some more years on you, then you can start sifting through the info and deciding which ones to pursue further.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1326177969' post='2366221']
FP - If you can go from enthusiasm for monasticism to lack of enthusiasm for monasticism in a period of 3 hours & 21 minutes (first post to negation of first post), then it wasn't 'a call.' It was a momentary interest, or a whim, or curiosity, or something, but it wasn't 'a call.'

At this stage, when one of those interests/curiosities/whims strikes you, do some reading - gather some information. But don't misinterpret it as the finger of God pointing you in a particular direction.

Once you've got a lot of information, and some more years on you, then you can start sifting through the info and deciding which ones to pursue further.
[/quote]

I completely agree. However, take into account the fact that I had this feeling for probably an hour before I posted, the previous night where I had it for probably five or seven hours, and then take in all of the previous occasions. Granted, it makes me laugh when you give me the allotted time-frame :P

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1326177969' post='2366221']

[/quote]

I completely agree. However, take into account the fact that I had this feeling for probably an hour before I posted, the previous night where I had it for probably five or seven hours, and then take in all of the previous occasions. Granted, it makes me laugh when you give me the allotted time-frame :P

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326179281' post='2366226']
[/quote]

As the mother of many, I would say that you simply sound like a teenager. This is your time to explore, take it! It will be over all too soon. As you explore, things will become more and more clear. Be patient and allow yourself the time to let that happen.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1326196296' post='2366253']
As the mother of many, I would say that you simply sound like a teenager. This is your time to explore, take it! It will be over all too soon. As you explore, things will become more and more clear. Be patient and allow yourself the time to let that happen.
[/quote]

I agree with you. my mom has encouraged me like this through my discernment. Most especially when I was first discerning, because not many orders were willing to discuss a serious vocation when I was in my early teens. And I cannot say that my inexperience is behind me, I still face the challenge of listening to God. :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326176623' post='2366217']
You know, I'm always told that. Perhaps I need to dump the English language into the trash and spit on it like my fellow generation? :P

I feel your pain. I too have only had two sessions. And with two different Priests, I might add. The first time was pleasant but I am no longer allowed to see that Priest, and the second Priest was a friend, but we didn't talk about my vocation all that much, sadly. Also, I wasn't too comfortable with my surroundings, and I was doing my best not to stammer all over the place. Hopefully I can see him again soon so we speak more about my discernment, and in a place without too much background noise.
[/quote]

Haha, I wouldn't suggest dumping the English language, even though it can be a pain when people do not understand half of what I am saying because of the texting-generation.

Ahh, I did have one priest who would gently touch my arm and say "Follow your dreams" and after each confession he would ask if my soul was at rest.
Not many priests have time to do even those little things that help Catholic's in personal growth.

Edited by InPersonaChriste