An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Sudden Call From Nowhere

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1326177969' post='2366221']
FP - If you can go from enthusiasm for monasticism to lack of enthusiasm for monasticism in a period of 3 hours & 21 minutes (first post to negation of first post), then it wasn't 'a call.' It was a momentary interest, or a whim, or curiosity, or something, but it wasn't 'a call.'

At this stage, when one of those interests/curiosities/whims strikes you, do some reading - gather some information. But don't misinterpret it as the finger of God pointing you in a particular direction.

Once you've got a lot of information, and some more years on you, then you can start sifting through the info and deciding which ones to pursue further.
[/quote]

I agree with this completely. If I had a dollar for every time I got extremely interested in and enthusiastic about a different order, I would be able to pay for Phatmass all by my self.

I used to loooooooove the CFR's, until I started reading up on them. I still think they are really amesome, but just not what Im called to.

Same thing for every other order under the son. (Pun intended. :) ) You name em, and Ive probably been interested in them at one point or another.

ie. that monastic video totally sparked an interest, but it faded when I thought about it a little harder. That's what those videos are supposed to do though, spark interest.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1326177969' post='2366221']
FP - If you can go from enthusiasm for monasticism to lack of enthusiasm for monasticism in a period of 3 hours & 21 minutes (first post to negation of first post), then it wasn't 'a call.' It was a momentary interest, or a whim, or curiosity, or something, but it wasn't 'a call.'

At this stage, when one of those interests/curiosities/whims strikes you, do some reading - gather some information. But don't misinterpret it as the finger of God pointing you in a particular direction.

Once you've got a lot of information, and some more years on you, then you can start sifting through the info and deciding which ones to pursue further.
[/quote]

I agree with this. Even as a diocesean seminarian from time to time the religious life has an appeal to me. I used to always be interested in one particular religious community but every now again the thoughts re-enter my mind about monasticism. I went to college seminary at a Benedictine monastery and have a great love for their community. At times I would love to be a professor and so that usually is the appeal of the thoughts of joining a monastery.