An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solemn Profession At St. Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde

Lumiere

This is reported in the [url="http://blog.farnboroughabbey.org/2012/01/08/st-cecilias-abbey-ryde-2/"]St. Michael's Abbey Blog[/url].

Here is the sermon by [url="http://www.stceciliasabbey.org.uk/site.php?menuaccess=5"]Fr. Daniel Seward[/url].

Thanks for sharing this! They are extremely blessed when it comes to vocations. I'm visiting them for a retreat at the end of the month with the hope of discerning with them, they are a lovely community.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1326293909' post='2366912']
More pictures on the [url="http://www.oxfordoratory.org.uk/news.php?id=181"]Oxford Oratory Blog...[/url]
[/quote]

amesome, thanks for sharing.

What wonderful pictures! Could someone answer a question for me, please? Why does Sisiter have her hands raised in some of the pictures? Thanks

Guest hermanita

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1326321601' post='2367187']
What wonderful pictures! Could someone answer a question for me, please? Why does Sisiter have her hands raised in some of the pictures? Thanks
[/quote]

That's what Benedictines do during the "suscipe" prayer at professions.

Strictlyinkblot

She really is a radiant bride. Out of curiosity, why does she have the green thing on her shoulder? I've never seen that before.

the "Suscipe" is a tradition in Benedictine Solemn Professions. Raising their hands in prayer, the monk or nun taking vows will sing/chant three times: "accept me, Lord, as thou has promised, and I shall truly live!"

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1326323125' post='2367208']
She really is a radiant bride. Out of curiosity, why does she have the green thing on her shoulder? I've never seen that before.
[/quote]

Somebody else probably could explain this in detail, but I think it represents her status as a Consecrated Virgin.

Queen'sDaughter

Such beautiful pictures, especially the suscipe ones. I love how the Benedictines do the extended arms followed by a deep genuflect. Somehow, it seems to drive home the depth of the commitment, and the total reliance on God in a very moving way.

Thank you for posting this, the pics of this nun are beautiful. The content on their website is amazing in particular on the novitiate link, and could actually cause me to want to be a Benedictine. :idea2: In fact, I would visit them, I've always wanted to go to England.