An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ready Made Religious Personality/or Not?

jruss

Guest hermanita

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1326697188' post='2369903']
I agree. I have known many Sisters--good, holy Sisters--who were very strong-willed. One in particular is literally a Saint, in my opinion, and she is a young Sister, too. It took her a LOT of serious internal struggle to overcome the pride in her strong-willed nature, but because she responded lovingly and consistently to God's grace and had a genuine call to religious life, she was able to turn it around for God's honor and glory instead. The same was similar for St. Therese, also for her sister Celine. Sometimes a strong will, guided by religious formation and the grace of God, can be turned from something prideful into one of the best, most fiercely loyal and beautiful things for God. I think part of that is the struggle that had ensued: they are like fire-tried gold, and after they have gone through the hardest part of their purificiation (because we are always being purified, til the day we die) they shine so brilliantly.
[/quote]

So encouraging. Thank you.

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1326697188' post='2369903']
I agree. I have known many Sisters--good, holy Sisters--who were very strong-willed. One in particular is literally a Saint, in my opinion, and she is a young Sister, too. It took her a LOT of serious internal struggle to overcome the pride in her strong-willed nature, but because she responded lovingly and consistently to God's grace and had a genuine call to religious life, she was able to turn it around for God's honor and glory instead. The same was similar for St. Therese, also for her sister Celine. Sometimes a strong will, guided by religious formation and the grace of God, can be turned from something prideful into one of the best, most fiercely loyal and beautiful things for God. I think part of that is the struggle that had ensued: they are like fire-tried gold, and after they have gone through the hardest part of their purificiation (because we are always being purified, til the day we die) they shine so brilliantly.
[/quote]

that's beautiful thank you for this :)

I think I have a strong willed nature and at its worst it turned into being argumentative and proud. Still working on that. Then other times I go the other way and I'm lazy.. but I'm always opinionated lol. I think God can transform our personalities so that they are purified, and as you said, being strong willed can turn into something good instead.

You will notice the majority of Foundresses were "strong-willed" women. They had to be purified first, of course, to get rid of pride; but the drive and dedication in their strong will is what was necessary to overcome the countless obstacles in founding a new community. God gave us the personalities He did for a reason! :)

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1326677970' post='2369803']
Teachable says to me, above all, a healthy level of humility and willingness to change. So perhaps it is the strong-will in combination with either pride or rigidity( as strictlyinkblot mentioned) that is the killer.
[/quote]

I think its really hard to say what is the "killer" because what is perfectly fine for one community won't work for another. Yes I would think a person who is unwilling to change (strong-willed or otherwise) will have a problem at bat because religious life requires change, it requires the willingness to be molded, to be "purified" to some degree or another.

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1326580202' post='2369110']
Well, you try it. That's really the only surefire way to find out.
[/quote]

Yep agreed. Sometimes that's the only real way to know. Otherwise it may simply be speculation.

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1326848173' post='2370727']
You will notice the majority of Foundresses were "strong-willed" women. They had to be purified first, of course, to get rid of pride; but the drive and dedication in their strong will is what was necessary to overcome the countless obstacles in founding a new community. God gave us the personalities He did for a reason! :)
[/quote]

This is quite true ... the founders/foundresses that I have met are very strong willed people, and I suspect God would have had to do a work with them to transform them to what He wanted.

Edited by cmariadiaz