An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Currently Reading?

Divine Mercy 9999

Divine Mercy 9999

So what kind of good, spiritual, vocation type books are you reading?

I just bought A Right To Be Merry by Mother Mary Francis. I've got a stack of other books to read, also. Father Dubay's book on Spiritual Direction, St Augustine's City of God (which will take me 50 years to finish), and a Father LaSance book on the Sacred Heart. I'm lookin for a good introduction to Franciscan spirituality.

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1327453914' post='2374729']

I just bought A Right To Be Merry by Mother Mary Francis. I've got a stack of other books to read, also. Father Dubay's book on Spiritual Direction, St Augustine's City of God (which will take me 50 years to finish), and a Father LaSance book on the Sacred Heart. I'm lookin for a good introduction to Franciscan spirituality.
[/quote]
I just finished Mother Mary Francis' book. A great peek into the cloisted life of a PCC.I wonder how much has changed since then til now?
Now I'm picking through a book written by a OSB nun entitled Humility Matters for practicing the spiritual life. I haven't really gotten into it very far.

I am reading No Greater Love by Mother Teresa. I am also reading Spiritual Formation by Henri Nouwen. Both are excellent!

My SD came across a great book that I'm borrowing. It's "Contemplative Prayer A Guide For Today's Catholic" by James Borst MHM.

It's written simply which is really helpful.

The Little Flowers of St. Francis, Imitation of Christ, St. Faustina's diary, And You are Christ's, I frequently reread different parts of A Right to Be Merry, and whatever we are reading in my great Catholic thinkers class--right now we're reading a bit of Fulton Sheen. I like reading :hehe2:

philosophette

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51baR1f4wjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[/img]

"God Will Provide" - a fantastic book full of anecdotes from the lives of saints (especially modern saints) who grew in trust in God's Providence. The book speaks about how they grew in this trust and how it transformed their spiritual lives. I have found it to be an easy and enjoyable read and really recommend it to anyone who is looking to deepen their union with God and grow in the spirituality which can say, "Jesus, I trust in You". [url="http://www.amazon.com/God-Will-Provide-Bounty-Opened/dp/1612610455/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327463747&sr=8-1-spell"]The book can be found here. [/url]

Waiting on my next book ("Between Heaven and Mirth" Fr J Martin SJ) which should arrive any day now: [url="http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/Between-Heaven-Mirth-James-Martin/?isbn=9780062024268"]http://www.harpercol...n=9780062024268[/url]

Just finished more or less "Your Sorrows are My Sorrows" (meditations on the seven sorrows of Our Lady)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1327453914' post='2374729']

[/quote]

What am I currently reading? Why, your post and my response, of course!

But seriously, I'm reading Many Are Called by Scott Hahn (I'm always tempted to right *Father* Scott Hahn. :P), and some discernment articles by Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor, as well as some books on the Saints, such as Saint Anthony of Padua.

I'm not reading any religious books. I don't have the brain for it right now. But I am reading a really interesting book called [i]Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language. :flex2: [/i]

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1327498708' post='2374950']
I'm reading "Story of a Soul" still... and "Pride and Prejudice"
[/quote]

I've read both about a hundred times. Two of my favorites.