An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Currently Reading?

Divine Mercy 9999

Divine Mercy 9999

Anyone read City of God by Augustine? I've been working on that one for a couple of years now and am only about 5 pages into it. Are there any good commentariy type things out there?

Edited to add: Maybe I should should go look for Cliff Notes (am probably dating myself there) on the book. :)

Edited by Divine Mercy 9999

Oh I'm also reading Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince). The only trouble is it is the French version and I keep on trying to read it right before bed when my brain is too tired to comprehend French. Oh well...

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1327512542' post='2375074']
Anyone read City of God by Augustine? I've been working on that one for a couple of years now and am only about 5 pages into it. Are there any good commentariy type things out there?

Edited to add: Maybe I should should go look for Cliff Notes (am probably dating myself there) on the book. :)
[/quote]

Hee hee, something tells me it might not be your book!

I do like Cliff Notes, we used them in college when we couldn't [s]be bothered with[/s] understand difficult historical literature.

LaPetiteSoeur

[i]The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything[/i] and I'm still reading [i]Divine Mercy in My Soul.[/i] Divine mercy isn't as quick a read, and so I've been reading it for a few months (and I stopped for a while)

Over Christmas break, I read [i]Dead Man Walking[/i] by Sr. Helen Prejean. All three books have been very good.

I want to just put this out there since it's a reading thread: hands-down the best 'discerning monasticism' book I have read is [i]Letters To A Beginner [/i]by Abbess Thaisia. It's in the form of letters to an aspiring nun, written by this amazing woman who restored a monastery at the end of the 19C. She wanted a way to distill all the advice and experience of the monastics down the ages into a form that the young women coming to her could understand, so she published these letters. Without them, I certainly wouldn't be where I am. I would say they are suitable for anyone who is even considering monastic life (no matter how young - you know who you are!). The book is short, the letters only a few pages each, and the tone is clear and light, but she's not kidding around. I would say that, among the books that spoke to me in that 'completely convicted like she's talking about me' way, it ranks way up top with the DFs.

[u]The Cloud of Unknowing[/u] -- it was written by an anonymous English monk during the 14th century in order to help a younger monk in the area of contemplative prayer. I began reading it on the recommendation of my Spiritual Theology professor. It's quite short but very deep! If you're interested in the contemplative life -- this is for you!!

Excerpt from Chapter 3:

"Lift up your heart to God with a humble impulse of love, and have himself as your aim, not any of his goods ...

Do not hang back, then, but labor in [this practice] until you experience the desire. For when you first begin to undertake it, all that you find is a darkness, a sort of cloud of unknowing; you cannot tell what it is, except that you experience in your will a simple reaching out to God. This darkness and cloud is always between you and your God, no matter what you do, and it prevents you from seeing him clearly by the light of understanding in your reason and from experiencing him in sweetness of love in your affection. So set yourself to rest in this darkness as long as you can, always crying out after him whom you love."

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1327526675' post='2375306']
Over Christmas break, I read [i]Dead Man Walking[/i] by Sr. Helen Prejean.
[/quote]

And [i]In This House of Brede[/i] I hope!!! :rules:

brandelynmarie

Let me get my satchel...hmmm, let's see...[i]Divine Mercy in My Soul, Diary of St. Maria Faustina [b]&[/b] Mysticism And Prophecy, The Dominican Tradition [b]&[/b] The Discernment of Spirits, An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living [b]& [/b]Story Of A Soul, the Autobiography of St. Therese.[/i]

I read a little bit here, a little bit there. :bible:

I've owned & read at least 3 copies of [i]Divine Mercy[/i] & I keep rereading [i]Story Of A Soul[/i]. :)

Edited by brandelynmarie

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327536962' post='2375430']
And [i]In This House of Brede[/i] I hope!!! :rules:
[/quote]

I got halfway through it before break....and then I FORGOT IT. :cry:

So It's now back on the "to finish reading" pile.

I am trying to read a document in spanish:

Caminos Laicales de Perfeccion by Fr. Jose Maria Iraburu

[color="#009933"][url="http://www.gratisdate.org/nuevas/caminos/Caminos.pdf"]www.gratisdate.org/nuevas/[b]caminos[/b]/[b]Caminos[/b].pdf[/url][/color]

It goes through the laity's call to holiness, and the role private vows, rules of life, prayer/fasting/almsgiving, and spiritual direction can play. It is really good, and once I passed it on to my s.d. he is pushing me to really read it so that we can discuss it.

I take it there is not an English translation?
Edit: A bit of research seems to tell me that there is a book now available translated into English as "The Gospel and Utopia" [url="https://www.createspace.com/3491454"]https://www.createspace.com/3491454[/url]
I am wondering if it is the same work in English however.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1327538922' post='2375448']
I got halfway through it before break....and then I FORGOT IT. :cry:

So It's now back on the "to finish reading" pile.
[/quote]

I do that all the time. Let me know what you thought when you finish it! :)