An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Monastery In Ireland

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

http://cenacleosb.org/

[img]http://cenacleosb.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/PICT05171.jpeg[/img]

"
[left]We were established during the Year of the Priest (2009-2010) in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tulsa, Oklahoma, by His Excellency, Most Reverend Edward J. Slattery.[/left]
By the grace of God, we have been invited by His Lordship, the Most Reverend Michael Smith, Bishop of Meath, to move our fledgling community to County Meath, Ireland. God willing, we will complete this move in February-March 2012.
You can read more about our plans in [url="http://cenacleosb.org/newsletter1/"]the first issue of our newsletter[/url]."

Oh! This is Dom Mark Daniel Kirby of the Monastery of Our Lady of the Cenacle in Tulsa! Wow, what a loss for Tulsa and a gain for Ireland. In Fr. Mark's words, "A monastic mission to Ireland, giving love for love." They attribute the "Instrument of Divine Providence" to St. Therese as they had been doing a novena to her for a more suitable property. The letters of support from Bishop Slattery, Mother Miriam, and the bishop of Meath and Irish laity are so beautiful. Ireland is getting it's first installment of a "spiritual bailout" which it so badly needs.

Edited by inperpetuity

Strictlyinkblot

Great, maybe we can get a few more prayerful communities to come over to us from America, like the DSMME's or Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal (the Friars are already over here). We need a serious overhaul.

That is amesome! I admire their trust to completely uproot themselves and head off to a different country. May God bless them abundantly!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327696563' post='2376291']
That is amesome! I admire their trust to completely uproot themselves and head off to a different country. May God bless them abundantly!
[/quote]

Amen

[i][quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327696563' post='2376291']
[/quote][/i]

[i]Totally[/i]

Forgive me, but I am a little confused here.

They are only two it seems, Fr Prior and a Novice?

So they have no canonical status as an order?

Remembering the near miss we had here with the Intercessors of the Lamb who were hosted in Raphoe.shortly before they were suppressed.

But .they were classed being in formation as a Lay Assocation of the Faithful I seem to remember.

[quote name='alleros' timestamp='1327907294' post='2377558']
Forgive me, but I am a little confused here.

They are only two it seems, Fr Prior and a Novice?

So they have no canonical status as an order?

Remembering the near miss we had here with the Intercessors of the Lamb who were hosted in Raphoe.shortly before they were suppressed.

But .they were classed being in formation as a Lay Assocation of the Faithful I seem to remember.
[/quote]

If you look on the link to their blog and/or website, you will see that they were founded by the Bishop of Tulsa, Edward Slattery. That is instant canonical status.

Bishops can constitute only public associations of the faithful.

The laity constitute private associations of the faithful. There are usually three different kinds, and proposed /emerging charisms begin as private preparatory associations. Canon 605 calls upon all faithful to support the founder and their adherents during the period of experimentation.

It was the lay association from which the Intercessors emerged that got them into trouble. Anyone who joins associations like that need to keep in mind that the diocese can drop in without notice to see how things are going. Transparency with diocesan authorities is required.

Blessings,
Gemms

Interesting last two posts; so it seems that in fact this order has indeed no canonical status? As a religious order? They need some formation etc as an order, surely?

Even when in the past an order has been "fast tracked" as were the Mercy Sisters way back, that was so.

I didn'r know a Bishop could found an order?

Dom Mark Daniel Kirby is Prior of the Diocesan Benedictine Monastery of Our Lady of the Cenacle in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
His Excellency Bishop Edward J. Slattery of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tulsa established the monastery in 2009 with the distinctive mission of Eucharistic Adoration for the sanctification of priests.

That is from the website; Never heard of this approach before?

[quote name='alleros' timestamp='1327986427' post='2378118']
Interesting last two posts; so it seems that in fact this order has indeed no canonical status? As a religious order? They need some formation etc as an order, surely?

Even when in the past an order has been "fast tracked" as were the Mercy Sisters way back, that was so.

I didn'r know a Bishop could found an order?
[/quote]

They have canonical status. If the bishop did found the community, then their status is public association. It was my understanding that the prior began as a diocesan hermit, then received his first novice after a few years of living the life. If the bishop did indeed found the community, I'd be very surprised that he would let them leave the diocese. Which makes me think that the diocesan hermit route is what they took. The prior would have had to have had the formation program ready for adherents if that was his intention when consecrated as hermit.

The Sisters of Mercy were under a different code of canon law, so what happened to communities before 1983 would not apply to today.

Well, your understanding is dead wrong. Fr. Mark has been a Benedictine monk (and was for quite sometime in the Order of Citeaux), he has been professed for decades. He has never been a diocesan hermit and does not live as a hermit, rather as a monk which is what he's always been.

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1328036157' post='2378373']
It was my understanding that the prior began as a diocesan hermit, then received his first novice after a few years of living the life.
[/quote]