An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Monastery In Ireland

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1328049807' post='2378534']
Well, your understanding is dead wrong. Fr. Mark has been a Benedictine monk (and was for quite sometime in the Order of Citeaux), he has been professed for decades. He has never been a diocesan hermit and does not live as a hermit, rather as a monk which is what he's always been.
[/quote]

No need for a heavy-handed response. I was trying to post from memory, which has been dicey because of the health issues I've had to deal with the last two years.

Pax tecum.

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1328049807' post='2378534']
Well, your understanding is dead wrong. Fr. Mark has been a Benedictine monk (and was for quite sometime in the Order of Citeaux), he has been professed for decades. He has never been a diocesan hermit and does not live as a hermit, rather as a monk which is what he's always been.
[/quote]

More and more puzzling indeed.

He left his order so how can he be called a monk? When you leave an order your vows cease to exist, ie you are no longer professed.

It all sounds very odd and wondering re Canon Law here also.

How can an order saying it is diocesan leave the diocese? And f it is dicoesan, which has no precedent, then why did the bishop not give them a monastery there?

As far as I can see there is no such thing as a diocesan monastery.

So in fact we in Ireland are getting one former monk and a novice; neither have any experience in forming a community. They have no money and from their "bucket list" are expecting the people of Ireland to feed them - in a large house which will cost a large amount to heat.
Ireland is deep in recession and many are finding it very hard to put food on the table. And a country that the church in recent generations bled heavily of money.

We have here two houses of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. They live in a makeshift "friary" composed of three abandoned houses in Limerick and are deeply involved actively with the spiritual renewal of that tough city. Prayer is their mainstay

[url="http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0519/Four-Franciscan-friars-take-on-Ireland-s-toughest-city"]http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0519/Four-Franciscan-friars-take-on-Ireland-s-toughest-city[/url]

In Sligo the Canadian Nada community have a House; Nada is rich and they asked thus little of the country. Each of them takes Canon 603 Vows with the local bishop and like the rFriars, they contribute greatly to the spiritual life of the area.

Nothing like this new idea.

If you read their newsletter [url="http://cenacleosb.org/newsletter1/"]here[/url], you will see why they are moving.

I, by nature suspicious and sceptical, have read Fr Mark's blog for some years. There is nothing irregular going on here.

No-one is being forced to give anyone any money. Are they?

Still looking for a mention of Jesus on the Nada website - not been all the way through it yet, it may be in there somewhere. I think Ireland has some problems similar to Polish ones - activism on the one hand, and vague woolly feel-good "religiosity" on the other.