An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Planning On Reading For Lent?

das8949

I am gathering my Lenten reading and was wondering what others are planning for their spiritual studies.

I am a huge Henri Nouwen fan and so these three books are part of my annual reading:

The Return of the Prodigal Son
Can You Drink the Cup
Show Me the Way

Also I like Max Lucado who is a Protestant Minister/Author

Six Hours One Friday

I found a copy of Crucifixion by Phaidon which is comprised of representations of Christ's Crucifixion and they are gorgeous and excellent for meditation.

I would appreciate any comments on my choices and any selections you may have!

Strictlyinkblot

I haven't given much thought to it. I'll probably reread 'The Story of a Soul' and 'Divine Mercy in My Soul'.

I haven't made any plans yet, but last year, I really focused on spending more time reading the Bible. I read Sirach (it's about 50 chapters, so it was perfect for a chapter a day). Great book full of everyday wisdom! My hope for this Lent is to read some of the Epistles.

For a daily mediation book, I used (and will likely use again) [url="http://www.amazon.com/Little-Way-Lent-Meditations-Therese/dp/0867169672"]The Little Way of Lent[/url].

Personally, I haven't read much Henri Nouwen, but I know a lot of people love his works! Max Lucado's devotions are really good; in the one I have (Grace for the Moment), he presents some beautiful mediations about living the Gospel!

This year, I'd really like to finish The Soul of the Apostolate and/or read something focusing on the Last Supper. Another possibility is [url="http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Therese-Lisieux-Months-Modern/dp/0824509870/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327955203&sr=1-2"]The Passion of St. Therese[/url] (another book that's been on my shelf for almost a year!)

[b]Edited to add: [/b] But then again, my spiritual director may have other ideas :)

Edited by Lisa

I love the little black book. That will be a daily devotion for me.

As for reading, I have a HUGE stack of stuff I've been meaning to go through from Lewis to Augustine to Church and new media concerns. I guess I'll see what calls out to me when Lent starts.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1327955426' post='2377810']
I haven't made any plans yet, but last year, I really focused on spending more time reading the Bible. I read Sirach (it's about 50 chapters, so it was perfect for a chapter a day). Great book full of everyday wisdom! My hope for this Lent is to read some of the Epistles.

For a daily mediation book, I used (and will likely use again) [url="http://www.amazon.com/Little-Way-Lent-Meditations-Therese/dp/0867169672"]The Little Way of Lent[/url].

Personally, I haven't read much Henri Nouwen, but I know a lot of people love his works! Max Lucado's devotions are really good; in the one I have (Grace for the Moment), he presents some beautiful mediations about living the Gospel!

This year, I'd really like to finish The Soul of the Apostolate and/or read something focusing on the Last Supper. Another possibility is [url="http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Therese-Lisieux-Months-Modern/dp/0824509870/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327955203&sr=1-2"]The Passion of St. Therese[/url] (another book that's been on my shelf for almost a year!)

[b]Edited to add: [/b]But then again, my spiritual director may have other ideas :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1327955426' post='2377810']

[b]Edited to add: [/b]But then again, my spiritual director may have other ideas :)
[/quote]

Lisa do you have the book - Mary's House by Donald Carroll?

Also, are you on FB?

Darlene

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1327954640' post='2377800']
The Return of the Prodigal Son
Also I like Max Lucado: Six Hours One Friday
[/quote]

I've read two. Return of the Prodigal Son is great. Six Hours One Friday is my 2nd pick (although I got sick of Lucado's style so I haven't read his stuff in years -- but that one does impact, especially if you do it during holy week).

I initially thought you said "Can you drink this cup" which is a book by Joyce Rupp. I didn't really like it (although I do have it right now). I *may* browse through it just in case, but I suspect it is still a nope. But I haven't read the Nouwen book with the similar title.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1327963404' post='2377892']
I've read two. Return of the Prodigal Son is great. Six Hours One Friday is my 2nd pick (although I got sick of Lucado's style so I haven't read his stuff in years -- but that one does impact, especially if you do it during holy week).

I initially thought you said "Can you drink this cup" which is a book by Joyce Rupp. I didn't really like it (although I do have it right now). I *may* browse through it just in case, but I suspect it is still a nope. But I haven't read the Nouwen book with the similar title.
[/quote]

I do also have the Joyce Rupp book and absolutely love it but I am a "coffee klatch" kind of person. I would love to attend one of her workshops. But Henri Nouwen speaks to me especially the book "Life of the Beloved"

When I saw this thread, it suddenly hit me that Ash Wednesday is only a few weeks away after a quick check on my calendar. Had a think about what I would read and decided to have another read of:
[list]
[*]Dogmatic Constitution on The Church
[*]Apostolate of The Laity
[*]Vocation and Mission of the Laity in The Church and The World
[/list]

I'll transfer them into Word so I can make notes etc. - it also makes any related research more accessible. I probably wont have time to finish by Easter and will continue after Lent.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1327974093' post='2378003']
[b]Scripture[/b]
The Letter of St Paul to the Ephesians
Book of Tobit
[/quote]

:love: Tobit is one of my favorite books!!!

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1327962161' post='2377873']
Lisa do you have the book - Mary's House by Donald Carroll?

Also, are you on FB?

Darlene
[/quote]

No, I don't- haven't heard of it.
And yes, I am. I'll send you a PM :)