An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ron Paul's Abortion Commercial

thessalonian

Today I heard a commercial for Ron Paul on abortion. In it he spoke about how he accidently walked in to a hospital room in which a third tri baby was being aborted. It was dumped in to a bucket in the corner and ignored as if it didn't matter. They he talked about going in to the room he was supposed to go in to and a baby's life was trying to be saved. His commercial was touching on the surface. BUT WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE STEP UP FOR THE BABY IN THE BUCKET AND DO SOMETHING!

he was a young medical student at the time (I think, though I could have my timeline wrong, maybe he had just started practicing I'm not sure), and he was shocked and had not expected to see something like that. In any event, it's easy to sit here and say something like that in comfort, but on the same token why don't you break into abortion clinics and stop doctors from doing what they're doing? there was a whole group of doctors and hospital officials who would not have let him do anything about it.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1328020738' post='2378247']
he was a young medical student at the time (I think, though I could have my timeline wrong, maybe he had just started practicing I'm not sure), and he was shocked and had not expected to see something like that. In any event, it's easy to sit here and say something like that in comfort, but on the same token why don't you break into abortion clinics and stop doctors from doing what they're doing? there was a whole group of doctors and hospital officials who would not have let him do anything about it.
[/quote]
Yes.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1328047669' post='2378501']
The baby was in the bucket still alive. He needed to step in.
[/quote]

No it wasn't. If it was an abortion. If the baby was still alive then by definition the act was one of infanticide rather than abortion and quite illegal.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1328047669' post='2378501']
The baby was in the bucket still alive. He needed to step in.
[/quote]
Did he say he shouldn't have?

Yeah, I think when he says it was able to cry he wasn't saying it was still able to cry by the time they put it in the bucket, sadly.

Even so, you talk a big game but it just sounds sanctimonious and distasteful to me; again, it's a whole hospital full of doctors and hospital officials and you're a young new doctor with little to no say in anything, just beginning your carreer, you walk into the wrong room and you see something terrible and shocking that you didn't expect to see... what do you do? maybe he could have done something, maybe (from the way he described it we don't exactly know too many details), but ultimately to sit back and judge him this way is just distasteful... and I'm not saying this is you but I've seen this said other places where people have made this accusation in a blatantly politically motivated way (from people who didn't like Ron Paul already who want to find something to discredit him and are therefore willing to take this event and use it as a weapon) and that's even more distasteful.

it was a shocking and unexpected situation over which he had no power. maybe, depending on the circumstances, there was a more morally virtuous course to take in which one sacrificed their whole career and possible got into a physical confrontation with doctors and hospital officials, possibly ended up in jail, maybe there was an option to do something like that. but obviously Ron wasn't telling this story to tell us how much of a superhero he was, but to tell us how shocking it was to see something like that as a young doctor.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1328049251' post='2378531']
Yeah, I think when he says it was able to cry he wasn't saying it was still able to cry by the time they put it in the bucket, sadly.

Even so, you talk a big game but it just sounds sanctimonious and distasteful to me; again, it's a whole hospital full of doctors and hospital officials and you're a young new doctor with little to no say in anything, just beginning your carreer, you walk into the wrong room and you see something terrible and shocking that you didn't expect to see... what do you do? maybe he could have done something, maybe (from the way he described it we don't exactly know too many details), but ultimately to sit back and judge him this way is just distasteful... and I'm not saying this is you but I've seen this said other places where people have made this accusation in a blatantly politically motivated way (from people who didn't like Ron Paul already who want to find something to discredit him and are therefore willing to take this event and use it as a weapon) and that's even more distasteful.

it was a shocking and unexpected situation over which he had no power. maybe, depending on the circumstances, there was a more morally virtuous course to take in which one sacrificed their whole career and possible got into a physical confrontation with doctors and hospital officials, possibly ended up in jail, maybe there was an option to do something like that. but obviously Ron wasn't telling this story to tell us how much of a superhero he was, but to tell us how shocking it was to see something like that as a young doctor.
[/quote]

Maybe Paul greatly err'd by leaving the baby in the trashcan/bucket. Crying or not, and yes he could have done something. He had the "power" to take the child out of the trashcan, he had the power to give the child medical attention. He had the power to try even if he would have been punished for it.

It seems he made a great error and mistake where he should have done something and there is no excuse for it. However clearly the event had a great and positive impact on his pro-life beliefs and he has been a reasonably dependable pro-life congressman for many years. So good has come from his grave mistake.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328047876' post='2378506']
No it wasn't. If it was an abortion. If the baby was still alive then by definition the act was one of infanticide rather than abortion and quite illegal.
[/quote]

Do you really think that every baby that is outside the womb after an abortion is assured of being dead?

Listen to the add above. Sounds like infanticide to me. But I suppose if they are to avoid infanticide, they must, as the baby is being extracted crush the skull as they do. As long as it's little toe is in the womb it's not infanticide I guess. This baby he saw was clearly out of the womb and still alive and they dumpted it in a bucket by his account. Likely was alive in the bucket as well. Late termers don't die that quickly.

I am glad that he went on to become a very good pro-life doctor and applaud him for that. But this episode disgusts me. No way I could leave that baby in a bucket, even when I was younger.

Edited by thessalonian

When I said it was not alive by the time it was in the bucket I was saying it sounded like the doctors killed it before putting it in the bucket. Again, we don't have enough information. I even think "able to cry" may have been Dr. Paul's editorializing on the size of the infant he saw removed, not that he actually heard it cry. I don't know, maybe he heard it cry, or maybe he just saw how big it was and noted that a baby of that size is able to cry. In any event, from the description it was indeed my impression that the doctors had killed the baby before placing it in the bucket.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of this whole sanctimony over how much you would've done if you had been there. #1 you don't know the details of the situation very well, and #2 you have no way of knowing how you'd be able to react in such a situation.

There's such a thing called shock. I pray that God would give me the grace in any given situation to overcome shock with moral virtue, but then I'm entirely depending on God's grace and not my own faculties.