An Old School Catholic Message Board

Us Little 'uns And Our Vocations

mysisterisalittlesister

mysisterisalittlesister

Hi Pham!

Recently, I've noticed some posts that suggest that us young 'uns (futurecarmeliteclaire, I<3LSOP, I<3franciscans, and others), are too young to say for certain that we are called to religious life. I can say myself that I am just as sure as any 20 year old who is discerning, and just because I'm 12 doesn't mean that I don't have a vocation. Just putting it out there.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Very true! I have made this point in other threads as well, that we can tend to romanticize the religious life, but we have to learn and keep our hearts open to God's will. Not ALL of us over-romanticize the religious life, though.

LaPetiteSoeur

Everyone has a vocation in life, whether it be to marriage, religious life, etc. I think we older ones just want to caution y'all--don't put marriage out of your minds completely. Also, I highly suggest getting a spiritual director--be it priest, brother, or sister. They can help you fully discern your vocation.

Praying for you all!

No offense, but I will believe you after puberty. Just wait until you get hormones and baby-fever.

That being said, I have been, and will continue to, keep you in prayer. :)

I'm writing this as one who was in your position a few years ago; know you have my empathy.
I agree with you that you, as a 12 year old, can be as certain as a 20 year old in your vocation. The 20 year old is not absolutely certain, therefore neither is the 12 year old. Some people say you can't be certain of a religious vocation until you make your final vows, but I think an argument could be made that you can't be absolutely certain until you die. There is a difference between reasonable certainty and absolute certainty, though, so the nun making her final vows can say with reasonable certainty that her vocation is to the religious life. (What we can know with absolute certainty is Aristotle's principle of non-contradiction.)
That having said, there is also a wisdom and maturity that comes with age. I'm not saying just because someone is older, he is wiser or more mature. It doesn't happen automatically; one has to be open to it and cultivate it. I know I'm very different at 18 than I was at 13 which is when I began my discernment, and I'm sure--I hope!--I'll be different at, lets say, 30. You get to know yourself better, and religious life, and you grow in your relationship with God. Time is on your side for this. I always said God gave me the grace to start discerning young because I had, and have, so much work to do!
Remember, dating isn't a bad thing. I personally never felt called to date, but if I had found the right guy, I hope I would have been open to discerning with him. As it was, I don't think the opportunity ever arose.

InPersonaChriste

I agree with all that has been said so far on this thread.

I began discerning very young but I didn't really tell anyone except for my parents and my SD. Though somehow (my dad) everyone found out. It was interesting to me that no one said I was too young except for the nuns and priests I have encountered thourought my discernment.

I have to say that it was hard not to doubt my vocation when the people I looked up too (religious) were telling me to live out my life as a teenager. To not think of the religious vocation to seriously until I am older. I have had many *raised eyebrows*, or small chuckles from priests I have told. I am thankfully blessed with more positive feedback then negative. I believe that God was trying to make me listen for him harder when people put me down. Their have only been two people who have outrightly told me that they would not want me to be a nun. My sister in law who said farwell and told me: No se convierta en una monja, and my Brother in law, who loves nuns but told me I was too pretty and smart (I love my extended family, they make me laugh).

I personally would rather discern earlier than later in life, I like to plan to be structured, and I am a deep thinker. So maybe that is why God planted my seeds so young, because he knew it would take me a very long time to be at peace with a life-changing decision (not to mention my entire family, we are so close-knit). I love God and I hope to show him how much I do through my actions and my life.

This all goes the same for older vocations as well. I pray that religious orders don't turn away souls for being to old or to young. Because everybody is called to a vocation!

Yep.. Basically just repeated myself 10 times.. :proud:

Oh and everybody gets *baby fever* at some point in their life :D

Edited by InPersonaChriste

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1327989552' post='2378143']

I personally would rather discern earlier than later in life, I like to plan to be structured, and I am a deep thinker. So maybe that is why God planted my seeds so young, because he knew it would take me a very long time to be at peace with a life-changing decision (not to mention my entire family, we are so close-knit). I love God and I hope to show him how much I do through my actions and my life.

This all goes the same for older vocations as well. I pray that religious orders don't turn away souls for being to old or to young. Because everybody is called to a vocation!
[/quote]

This is so true! I too think that it is better to discern before rather than later.Unfortunately it's also true that many religious/priests tend to discourage young people from their vocation: I find this is really sad!

Katiebobatie94

while im 17 and i really dont remember discerning before my sophmore year, no you are not "too young". there are stories of girls knowing when they are like 7...just saying :)

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1328015714' post='2378218']
St. Terese entered at 15.... everyone told her she was too young, too....
[/quote]

I was going to mention St Therese, too. You can certainly know when you are young. I would agree with those who say to give it a bit of time, though. Finish your schooling and maybe look at college (depending on what order you are leaning towards.) St Therese had her entrance delayed (not by her choice) and was able to use the time well.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1327981312' post='2378085']
No offense, but I will believe you after puberty. Just wait until you get hormones and baby-fever.

That being said, I have been, and will continue to, keep you in prayer. :)
[/quote]

I had baby fever when I was four. :|
When I'd see a baby in the store with its mother I'd march right up to the babe's mother and ask how old the baby was and what his/her name was and tell the mother she was lucky to have such an adorable baby.

So I'll tell you again that I think I might have a Religious Vocation in about two years, until then.... :P

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1328016340' post='2378220']
I was going to mention St Therese, too. You can certainly know when you are young. I would agree with those who say to give it a bit of time, though. Finish your schooling and maybe look at college (depending on what order you are leaning towards.) St Therese had her entrance delayed (not by her choice) and was able to use the time well.
[/quote]

I'm certainly going to college and will definetly finish school. My favorite Sister said that even though she thought God wanted her to be a Religious when she was younger... she went to college and college helped her to mature a bit, with a flexible schedule she went to daily Mass and by working she met the Sisters.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1327979444' post='2378069']
Everyone has a vocation in life, whether it be to marriage, religious life, etc. I think we older ones just want to caution y'all--don't put marriage out of your minds completely. Also, I highly suggest getting a spiritual director--be it priest, brother, or sister. They can help you fully discern your vocation.

Praying for you all!
[/quote]

The problem with an SD is that if you tell him/her anything they think your parents should know because your under 18 they can talk with your parents. Right now, I think that I'll wait for an SD when I'm in college over 18 because it's not worth having and SD if they are just gonna go back to your parents. (At least in my opinion)

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1328016903' post='2378223']
The problem with an SD is that if you tell him/her anything they think your parents should know because your under 18 they can talk with your parents. Right now, I think that I'll wait for an SD when I'm in college over 18 because it's not worth having and SD if they are just gonna go back to your parents. (At least in my opinion)
[/quote]

While legally, it is probably true that they could (especially if they thought you were in immediate danger), I believe most spiritual directors approach it as a confidential discussion. In fact, most spiritual directors I've met won't even say who they direct. It's not as solid as the seal of confession, but generally there is unspoken agreement that it's private and personal. It doesn't seem like that would change if you were under 18.... even if you aren't ready now, you could think about it again in a couple of years. 6 years discerning religious life (between 12-18) is a long time to go without spiritual direction.