An Old School Catholic Message Board

Us Little 'uns And Our Vocations

mysisterisalittlesister

mysisterisalittlesister

Just to clear things up, I am definitely not putting marriage out of my mind. If that's what God wants, then I won't hesitate to do his will. All I'm saying, is that right now, I think I'm called to religious life, and many people think it's strange htan I even consider being a sister at my age.

St. Faustina knew when she was twelve.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1328017620' post='2378228']
While legally, it is probably true that they could (especially if they thought you were in immediate danger), I believe most spiritual directors approach it as a confidential discussion. In fact, most spiritual directors I've met won't even say who they direct. It's not as solid as the seal of confession, but generally there is unspoken agreement that it's private and personal. It doesn't seem like that would change if you were under 18.... even if you aren't ready now, you could think about it again in a couple of years. 6 years discerning religious life (between 12-18) is a long time to go without spiritual direction.
[/quote]

True... I might do it when I'm sixteen. It totally depends on the time, place, and what circumstance I'm in. :nun:

mysisterisalittlesister

My sister is a postulant in the order I am discerning, and I think that in a couple of years or so, I will tell her about my vocation and ask for spiritual direction.

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1328017952' post='2378232']
My sister is a postulant in the order I am discerning, and I think that in a couple of years or so, I will tell her about my vocation and ask for spiritual direction.
[/quote]

Aw.

I'll probably try and find a Sister in the order I'm discerning with. Sr. MG would be avvesome.

dominicansoul

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1328017674' post='2378229']
St. Faustina knew when she was twelve.
[/quote]

..well....actually, she knew when she was seven, but because no one was there to spiritually direct her in such things, she grew lax and enjoyed the vain things of our world. While she was at a dance, Our Lord had to appear to her and tell her, "how long must i put up with you and how long will you be putting me off?" to convince her she had to leave everything and head to a convent... hahahahahah

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Okay, so it honestly depends on the person, COMPLETELY. One 12 year old can be a lot more mature than another 12 year old. The sister I just visited with knew when she was in 2nd grade (just like I did), but I've also heard of others who have discerned for a very long time the religious life and then realized they are called to the married life.

I would NEVER push marriage away, EVER. That is the criticism I get a lot from people, and I just want to make sure that everyone knows that I would never push that away.

When I talked to Sister, she told me that the biggest problem that the younger sisters she has seen have encountered is that they have certain ideals in their heads that are not the reality. But lucky for me, I have not set those ideals, the reason I loved it so much when I visited is because I did not get my hopes up and I did not set an expectation, and I came in with the Will of God in my mind.
[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1327986919' post='2378124']
I'm writing this as one who was in your position a few years ago; know you have my empathy.
I agree with you that you, as a 12 year old, can be as certain as a 20 year old in your vocation. The 20 year old is not absolutely certain, therefore neither is the 12 year old. Some people say you can't be certain of a religious vocation until you make your final vows, but I think an argument could be made that you can't be absolutely certain until you die. There is a difference between reasonable certainty and absolute certainty, though, so the nun making her final vows can say with reasonable certainty that her vocation is to the religious life. (What we can know with absolute certainty is Aristotle's principle of non-contradiction.)
That having said, there is also a wisdom and maturity that comes with age. I'm not saying just because someone is older, he is wiser or more mature. It doesn't happen automatically; one has to be open to it and cultivate it. I know I'm very different at 18 than I was at 13 which is when I began my discernment, and I'm sure--I hope!--I'll be different at, lets say, 30. You get to know yourself better, and religious life, and you grow in your relationship with God. Time is on your side for this. I always said God gave me the grace to start discerning young because I had, and have, so much work to do!
Remember, dating isn't a bad thing. I personally never felt called to date, but if I had found the right guy, I hope I would have been open to discerning with him. As it was, I don't think the opportunity ever arose.
[/quote]
I agree with this a lot.

Okay, I'm going to chime in here. As a spiritual director, I would never ever divulge anything. I consider the time I spend with my directees just as private as the confessional -- no absulution of course! I simply can't imagine the SD of a young person divulging information about their time together to her parents. Bad, bad, bad. And unethical.

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1327976836' post='2378021']
I'm 12... etc.[/quote]
Almost thirteen! I can't believe you're getting "so growed up!" I met you in "real life" when you were maybe nine. I'll be thirteen in June too!!!!!!!! Yay for teens!

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1328026459' post='2378297']
Okay, I'm going to chime in here. As a spiritual director, I would never ever divulge anything. I consider the time I spend with my directees just as private as the confessional -- no absulution of course! I simply can't imagine the SD of a young person divulging information about their time together to her parents. Bad, bad, bad. And unethical.
[/quote]

I know. I don't know how someone could do that... but I've heard of it happening.

Edited by i<3LSOP

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1328027030' post='2378301']
Almost thirteen! I can't believe you're getting "so growed up!" I met you in "real life" when you were maybe nine. I'll be thirteen in June too!!!!!!!! Yay for teens!.
[/quote]

My birthday is in June as well. We should have a June party! :winner:

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1328027503' post='2378303']
My birthday is in June as well. We should have a June party! :winner:
[/quote]

Yes totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUNE PARTY! :dance5:

:hijack: Maybe (I said maybe) that would be a good thread and we could have PMers post the months of their b-days and have dance parties and cake on the threads. :hehe:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1328024370' post='2378272']
I love our young'uns on here. :love:
[/quote]

Aw, thank you. We love you. :)

Edited by i<3LSOP

Divine Mercy 9999

I am so very, very old. I'm not saying what year it was when I was thirteen, although Jimmy Carter was president.

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1328034533' post='2378358']
I am so very, very old. I'm not saying what year it was when I was thirteen, although Jimmy Carter was president.
[/quote]

You are old ... I was 5.

:P

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1327981312' post='2378085']
No offense, but I will believe you after puberty. Just wait until you get hormones and baby-fever.

That being said, I have been, and will continue to, keep you in prayer. :)
[/quote] thank you for your prayers, but are saying I shouldn't consider religious life until I'm around 15? Well, it's too late now.

No, that's not what I said.

Let me put it this way. If my 12 year old cousin came up to me and said she had this guy friend and she loved him and he loved her and they were going to get married, I would smile and get a box of Kleenex ready for the break-up. If my eighteen year old sister wanted to get engaged right out of high school without going to college, I would sit down with her and make her really think about her decision, because at eighteen, there is so much life she has not yet lived, and she cannot possibly understand the consequences such a rushed choice will have.

This is not to say that the two couples mentioned could not end up married. Thats not for me to say. But it is usually the case that such situations either 1) change or 2) end poorly.

Religious life is a seemingly different scenario. This is GOD of whom we speak. I love seeing the zeal you all have, and am so thankful that there are youth like you in the world. But I remember what it was like at your age. I probably would have wanted the religious life then, too, had I known what it was. As it stands, I started discerning at 15, and am now 21. I've been all over the US, to Australia, and to 13 European countries. I've kissed a boy, climbed a mountain, and lived in Rome for four months. I'm about to graduate from college with a Bachelors of Science and some of the best friends in the world.

Yes, it's been seven years since I started discerning and I am finally applying to a community. I would not trade these seven years for anything. God has been with me at every step... But I have come close to losing myself many times in this tumultuous world.

He has given me choices. The choice to date. The choice of a science major. The choice to travel abroad. He's giving me another choice now. Graduate school or Convent? Both are good. Both possess the ability to bring God to the world. Both are very tempting. I could very easily take the "easy way" of graduate school. Believe it or not, it is a VERY tempting option.

Who knows what the next 6 years will hold for you? Who knows what God has in store? There will be boys and trips and pretty things and growth and joy and sorrow.... These will be some of the best years of your life. I implore you [u] Do not close yourself off to God's will because you think you know what it is.[/u] He is waiting to surprise you, if only you can see.

God bless you. :)

Edited by Deus_te_Amat