An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rick Santorum Takes Mo, Mn, And Co!

eagle_eye222001

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1328891722' post='2384886']
Sorry, how selfish of me. Let me embrace intrinsic evil, so all the politicing works out for you.
[/quote]

Spelling rule:
[b][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000080]Picnic, panic, traffic [/color][color=#000000]all add [/color][color=#000080]K[/color][color=#000000] before the suffix to keep the Hard K sound in front of the vowel which begins the suffix; [/color][color=#000080]picnicked, panicked, trafficker, trafficking.[/color][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000080]PS What the heck happened to my smiley with a chalkboard?? :([/color][/size][/font][/b]

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1328876057' post='2384799']
these are abominations, not marriages. God made marriage. Man does his own thing sometimes...its called 'sin'.
[/quote]

and now we start getting into circular reasoning. and of course, the no true scotsman comes out to play.

"marriage is traditionally like this, because it has always been this one way"

"um, no it hasnt always been like that"

"those times didnt count, they were abominations"

http://coalitionforclarity.blogspot.com/

[b] WHAT IS THE COALITION FOR CLARITY?[/b]

"...I reiterate that the prohibition against torture “cannot be contravened under any circumstances...”" [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2007/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20070906_pastorale-carceraria_en.html"]Pope Benedict XVI[/url]

[i]In the political climate in which we find ourselves at the beginning of the twenty-first century, Catholics are grappling with confusing messages as to the morality of torture. Lost in political and often partisan debates is the clear voice of the Church, who has called torture evil, and who teaches with conviction the truth that a captured enemy combatant, political prisoner, or other opponent does not lose his human dignity or his right to humane treatment.[/i]

[i]The contributors and members of the Coalition for Clarity believe with the Church that torture is intrinsically evil, a violation of our Christian duty to treat all men as our neighbors and of their right to be treated humanely and with dignity regardless of their status. We hope by discussing this issue and providing links to resources supporting Church teaching that this blog will help to bring clarity to the issue of torture and to our duty as members of God's family to oppose its use in all circumstances.[/i]

[i]Because we seek the clarity of Church teaching on all issues, we also hope to discuss and reflect on any issue pertaining to human life and dignity, but especially those issues where the possibility that the Church's teaching is not being presented clearly exists.[/i]

at the same time - i feel very confused about this election - more so in the past - because of what I have learned here and elsewhere about the Catholic faith.

I hate grey. :cry:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1328893349' post='2384910']
Spelling rule:
[b][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000080]Picnic, panic, traffic [/color][color=#000000]all add [/color][color=#000080]K[/color][color=#000000] before the suffix to keep the Hard K sound in front of the vowel which begins the suffix; [/color][color=#000080]picnicked, panicked, trafficker, trafficking.[/color][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000080]PS What the heck happened to my smiley with a chalkboard?? :([/color][/size][/font][/b]
[/quote]
thank you!!

you know I tried it that way and it didn't look right...but it didn't like right the way i had it. i am a bad speeler.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1328887348' post='2384842']
To all those that choose to withhold your vote, or vote for a candidate that has zero chance of winning, so you can make some type of moral statement, I just wanted to thank you.

It is amesome Catholics like you that allowed Obama to get the majority of the Catholic vote, because the really bad Catholics certainly did not have a moral dilemma voting for him.

Our chance to have a majority pro-life majority in the supreme court was lost when Obama appointed a pro-abortion judge, so again... thanks for your moral integrity.
[/quote]

I am not responsible for the evils of others. I refuse to vote for people I find abhorrent, in a system that I believe is inherently morally destitute, to make someone else feel better about themselves.

I will not condone torture and claim "national security" to make it sound better.

I will not condone the perpetual war machine simply because DEMOCRACY HERP DERP. Americans are not the best people simply by virtue of having been spawned on a particular plot of land. Others are not inferior because they don't subscribe to our cultural mores.

"Catholics like me" didn't [b][i]allow[/i][/b] Obama to do a beaver dam thing. Catholics like me believe in something and choose not to compromise. Catholics like me try to live with integrity. Catholics like me believe that the cafeteria line doesn't just have liberals picking and choosing from it. Catholics like me think it takes a whole lot more than a Virgin Mary t-shirt to make someone Catholic.

Think you know my soul? Think you understand my motivations? Well congratulations on that. I'm glad you seem to have such deep perception. I, on the other hand, don't choose to subscribe blame for the state of the world on someone who would not vote for abominable politics when guided by a well-formed and active conscience. You want to blame someone? Try blaming the people that voted. All those "bad Catholics" that didn't feel a qualm about voting for a candidate who stands for everything that their faith opposes.

The rarified air you're breathing must be pretty nice, but I refuse to betray my own conscience, no matter how many consdescending sneers it gets me.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1328900026' post='2384988']Others are not inferior because they don't subscribe to our cultural mores.
[/quote]
No offense intended to you at all, MT, but [i]man[/i] that smacks of relativism.

To dust's original post -
I have said before and I will say again: no candidate has any chance of winning if no one votes for him. I will vote for the candidate who most aligns with my beliefs, regardless of the letters behind his name. "Catholics" who vote for Obama can answer for themselves. That's not on my head.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Marie-Therese

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1328900380' post='2384994']
No offense intended to you at all, MT, but [i]man[/i] that smacks of relativism.

To dust's original post -
I have said before and I will say again: no candidate has any chance of winning if no one votes for him. I will vote for the candidate who most aligns with my beliefs, regardless of the letters behind his name. "Catholics" who vote for Obama can answer for themselves. That's not on my head.
[/quote]

No offense taken. It was not a relativist statement. Simply a commentary on the popular thought that if you don't subscribe to a particular world view (i.e. American republican) then somehow you're lesser as a person. Many make the argument that America's involvement in multiple conflicts in various places is defensible because we're spreading democracy. I'd argue that not everyone wants our system of government, and not everyone thinks that the definition of a wonderful society is a McDonald's on every corner. That's all I meant. Not relativistic and not a slam on morality. That's why I said "cultural" mores, and not morality.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1328900918' post='2385000']
No offense taken. It was not a relativist statement. Simply a commentary on the popular thought that if you don't subscribe to a particular world view (i.e. American republican) then somehow you're lesser as a person. Many make the argument that America's involvement in multiple conflicts in various places is defensible because we're spreading democracy. I'd argue that not everyone wants our system of government, and not everyone thinks that the definition of a wonderful society is a McDonald's on every corner. That's all I meant. Not relativistic and not a slam on morality. That's why I said "cultural" mores, and not morality.
[/quote]
I have to believe that there are systems of government which are inherently better than others. For instance, a government in which no one is stoned to death would be objectively better than one which stones women to death because they are accused of adultery. I would therefore be inclined to say that our system is, while far from perfect (maybe even far from good), overwhelmingly preferable to Iran's.
Now, the question of whether we should take it upon ourselves to spread our system to the far corners of the globe is a different topic entirely...

Marie-Therese

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1328901163' post='2385006']
I have to believe that there are systems of government which are inherently better than others. For instance, a government in which no one is stoned to death would be objectively better than one which stones women to death because they are accused of adultery. I would therefore be inclined to say that our system is, while far from perfect (maybe even far from good), overwhelmingly preferable to Iran's.
Now, the question of whether we should take it upon ourselves to spread our system to the far corners of the globe is a different topic entirely...
[/quote]

I agree, that was generally what I meant. It's not about whose is better. It's about whether or not people are bound to subscribe to something. I think people are free to have the choice to have the government they want, and if they find their government lacking, they have the choice to change it. It's not America's job to choose for them.

Hi guys

As many of you know I'm not American and I don't tend to post unless I have something to say but Santorum is making the news everywhere not just in the States. I saw [url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203646004577215263708006278.html?mod=googlenews_wsj"]this Wall Street Journal article earlier citing a Rasmussen poll that showed Santorum was the most electable Republican[/url]. Up until a week or so ago Santorum was barely mentioned as being part of the contest. For those of you are Americans are the conversations you're having reflecting the results of this Rasmussen poll? Is Santorum a serious contender now?

Thanks

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1328904468' post='2385073']
in the topic of Rick Santorum....
[url="http://tyrannyoftradition.com/2012/02/10/rick-santorum-declares-war-on-heavy-metal/"]http://tyrannyoftrad...on-heavy-metal/[/url]
[/size][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=Palatino, Georgia, Baskerville, serif][color=#000000][size=3]well this told me about all i ever need to know about Rick Santorum. Also, that apparently 87% of the people polled are brain dead.[/size][/color][/font][/color]
[/quote]
I fully discounted every opinion (and fact) that the author presented when I found out that he hotlinked Santorum's name to homophobia. I have sincere and well-founded doubts that Mr. Santorum has an irrational fear of homosexuals.