Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Name The Crystal Cathedral


Recommended Posts

dominicansoul
Posted

i would think you could get a nice tan during Mass.....

she_who_is_not
Posted

Clearly, It should be St. Lucy's. Or St. Clare.

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1328824816' post='2384481']
i would think you could get a nice tan during Mass.....
[/quote]

Just don't try to avoid tan lines.

Posted

Well, apparently someone was thinking along my lines with "Windex" references:

[url="http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/02/our-lady-of-perpetual-windex/"]http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/02/our-lady-of-perpetual-windex/[/url]

[url="http://coronadelmar.patch.com/articles/rename-the-crystal-cathedral"]http://coronadelmar.patch.com/articles/rename-the-crystal-cathedral[/url]

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1328824816' post='2384481']
i would think you could get a nice tan during Mass.....
[/quote]
[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1328828547' post='2384507']
Just don't try to avoid tan lines.
[/quote]

rotfl

Posted

Christ the King? Holy Eucharist?

Holy Spirit, Lord of Light?

I still think a GIANT 24 / 7 adoration chapel that could be seen from Northern California would be a WONDERFUL repurposing.....

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

St. Arbucks?

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1328843095' post='2384632']
St. Arbucks?
[/quote]

:covereyes:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae
Posted

Another note is that churches should not be named after doctrines or concepts, but saints. :)

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1328847006' post='2384693']
Another note is that churches should not be named after doctrines or concepts, but saints. :)
[/quote]

One of my favorite Churches is called the Immaculate Conception. There are other Transfiguration Churches in the world so I thought it would be appropriate for a light-radiating Church. ;)

I do like St. Mark's Cathedral like Luigi mentioned. I never knew that St. Mark was not widely recognized as the patron saint of a parish, so it would be appropriate to honor him -- esp. since he is the patron of glass workers. They are going to need it because of all the window washing that will take place. :hehe2:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1328815991' post='2384318']
St. Mark's - he's the patron saint of glaziers.

[url="http://www.catholic-saints.info/patron-saints/saint-mark.htm"]http://www.catholic-.../saint-mark.htm[/url]

St. John has lots of cathedrals, St. Matthew has one, I'm not sure about St. Luke. And we already have A Christ the Light, too. But nothing to honor good old St. Mark - what with all that glass, this would be perfect.
[/quote]

nevermind ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1328816376' post='2384323']
i would love to get my hands on the pipe organ...

i'd break every glass in the place.....oops
[/quote]
Apparently it can be a real bear since the heating effects of being in a greenhouse aren't exactly ideal conditions for keeping an instrument in tune.

I am, however, only separated from the famous Dr. Swann by one degree, so if you really want to, I might could pull some strings (and principals and flutes. har har har)...

Posted (edited)

Their website specifies it can't be a saint (not even an Apostle) (I suspect nor an Evangelist (but St. Mark and St. Clare were a great ideas....).

Apparently the title MUST be a about Christ or a Christological mystery. I gather something to do with the terms of the sale... go figure.

So.... how about..... Merciful Love of Christ.

My thought is His Love shines through the darkness of sin and sadness and the coldness and sterility of our hearts.... and my prayer is that Christ's love will transform that space into a place where He is encountered by all who see it and all who enter it.

And I STILL want the giant monstrance!!!!

God is so much bigger than mere architecture (altho my parish is a beautiful gothic structure and i love it!). I definitly would have chosen a different building... but hey.... it must be brighter than the average stable and He was willing to be there because of His love for us....

Edited by AnneLine
inunionwithrome
Posted

How about the Cathedral of the Fishers of Men?

Posted

Am I the only one bothered by this structure? It is cold in design. For some reason it does not scream, this is the house of the holy.

For $57.5 M, could a structure not have been constructed with Roman Catholic in mind? Could not a true cathedral been constructed?

Posted

How about "Cathedral of the Presentation?" Idk about the Latin Rite, but we traditionally bless candles this day. So, you know, light from candles --> light shines through glass.

Posted

Did we get the inscribed prayer cushions with the donor names?

Also since it is Bishop Tod Brown, and he does punish those who kneel, perhaps the name: The Cathedral of No-Kneeling Nonsense is in order.

Posted

[quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1329007884' post='2385627']
Am I the only one bothered by this structure? It is cold in design. For some reason it does not scream, this is the house of the holy.

For $57.5 M, could a structure not have been constructed with Roman Catholic in mind? Could not a true cathedral been constructed?
[/quote]

No, you're not the only one. I definitely would not have purchased that building. It's ugly and non-traditional. I love the old gothic style Churches with angels and spires. We have a Church in this area that is very large and has large stained glass windows of the life of Christ and murals everywhere of angelic detail. It's gorgeous! I immediately think of God everytime I walk into that Church. It takes my breath away. However, it's been around for over 50 years and that sort of thing costs a bundle nowadays. I would think it is over 57.5 million because not many businesses specialize in stained glass. Those that do have outrageous prices.

Because the diocese has already purchased it, it is officially becoming a Catholic Church. I'm reluctant to talk ill of it but I definitely think there are more beautiful structures. ;)

Posted

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe of the Diocese of Orange, because Our lady of Guadalupe is the patron saint of the diocese.

Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1329019368' post='2385754']
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe of the Diocese of Orange, because Our lady of Guadalupe is the patron saint of the diocese.
[/quote]

I like that. I love Our Lady of Guadalupe and she's a good intercessor, however, I think they are looking for something related to the life of Christ or one of His mysteries. ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...