An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habits

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

What are some of your favorite Habits, both men and women's? For male Habits, I love the Franciscan Habit. I love the ones the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word use, as well as the ones the Franciscan Brothers Minor and Franciscan Friars of the Renewal use. I don't like the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate one as much, since I don't care for the thing they have on their shoulders. Aside from the Franciscans, I of course love the Dominican Habit (With the cappa. Without it, it just loses its flare), and the Habits the Carmelites and Benedictines use.

As for female Orders, I have to say my favorite is the Habit the Carmelite Nuns wear. This probably comes from my love of Saint Therese, but oh well. I also like the ones the Benedictines use, and the one that Mother Angelica's Community wears.

As a note, this is not to make it seem like Religious life is about the Habit. It is NOT. This is like saying marriages are about the rings. Rather, the Habit is a very important part of Religious life, and it is proven that Community's whom choose not to wear it suffer in the amount of Vocations they get, but ultimately, Religious life is to dedicate yourself to God completely, sacrificing marriage and earthly pleasures for him. I hope to be called to the Religious life, and if I am, I cannot wait until I can give myself to Jesus in such a way. I am of course trying to now, and I plan to make this coming Lent the most extreme I've ever done, but it cannot compare to living life as a Friar in a community of Friars.

Men: collared shirt and slacks, maybe a blazer for official functions

Women: Flowery patterned blouse, pastel colored skirt, a pant suit for official functions

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bjAlo44iUaE/Tf_0w_ovKsI/AAAAAAAABrI/mWy-zgF8z2U/s1600/ps%2Btemp%2Bvows.jpg[/img]

I love the habits of the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. Purely superficial, though I was disappointed they didn't have a community in the UK because I love their charism.

And of course the Benedictine habit, but that is just my bias as a future Benedictine.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Carmelites! But I know I'm biased. :P

I actually completely love the DSMME habit as well as the Nashville Dominicans. But also, I just can't understand why Benedictine habits are just so gorgeous... :love: Also, I love the Children of Mary habit, AND the Poor Clare habit... Well, I guess I like all of them! :love:

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1328823787' post='2384469']

Women: Flowery patterned blouse, pastel colored skirt, a pant suit for official functions
[/quote]
:hehe2:

[/quote]

I understand that everyone has their own opinions about religious... about how they live, how they work, and what they wear. Everyone is entitled to an opinion about their own preferences BUT I do wish that with those opinions came some humility. If you aren't a religious and are not living the religious life it is a little presumptuous and prideful to poke fun at decisions that were made with great cost and suffering - like the decision to wear or not wear a habit. There are many many many reasons why the habit issue is not as black and white as everyone thinks it is. This isn't the thread to discuss it, however, I would be willing to have a discussion, not a debate, where perspectives are respected.

I wear a habit but it really bothers me every time comments are made like the one above. They aren't appropriate for Christians. They do break down the Body of Christ. The habit of all Christians should be charity. You may say that the nuns not wearing their habits are the ones who are wrong... maybe they are. But two wrongs don't make a right and comments like these bring no one, especially the sisters and brothers they are referring to, closer to Christ or His Church.

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1328827825' post='2384504']
I understand that everyone has their own opinions about religious... about how they live, how they work, and what they wear. Everyone is entitled to an opinion about their own preferences BUT I do wish that with those opinions came some humility. If you aren't a religious and are not living the religious life it is a little presumptuous and prideful to poke fun at decisions that were made with great cost and suffering - like the decision to wear or not wear a habit. There are many many many reasons why the habit issue is not as black and white as everyone thinks it is. This isn't the thread to discuss it, however, I would be willing to have a discussion, not a debate, where perspectives are respected.

I wear a habit but it really bothers me every time comments are made like the one above. They aren't appropriate for Christians. They do break down the Body of Christ. The habit of all Christians should be charity. You may say that the nuns not wearing their habits are the ones who are wrong... maybe they are. But two wrongs don't make a right and comments like these bring no one, especially the sisters and brothers they are referring to, closer to Christ or His Church.
[/quote]

Maybe I misunderstood Maximillianus's comment. I gave the flowered shirt comment props because I think that what a religious wears is not really important. Although I like habits, the important thing is the life, not the habit. Those who have chosen this life, whether they wear a habit or not, have my utmost respect.

Edited by linnie

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1328829941' post='2384519']
Maybe I misunderstood Maximillianus's comment. I gave the flowered shirt comment props because I think that what a religious wears is not really important. Although I like habits, the important thing is the life, not the habit. Those who have chosen this life, whether they wear a habit or not, have my utmost respect.
[/quote]

I'm glad you said this because it is a perspective I didn't think of when I first read the comment so I apologize if that was how it was meant. When I read it I obviously felt that it was a joke about religious who don't wear habits but you could be right that it was more a point about habits not being the be all end all of religious life. If the latter was the case, I truly apologize for jumping to conclusions about the intended meaning of this comment.

[/quote]

I believe you are joking..... :|

It is very difficult to choose favorites among women orders.

[b]Men[/b]: Franciscan Friars of the Renewal

[b]Women[/b]: Nashville Dominicans, Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate, Sisters of Life

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Queen'sDaughter

Favorite habit...that's a hard one. Guess for me it would be Benedictine for women, and Benedictine for men...but I am biased. The Franciscan Sisters Minor wear a beautiful habit as well.

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1328827825' post='2384504']

[/quote]

ouch

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1328829941' post='2384519']
[/quote]

I took his comments as to being about lay persons and not religious but I may have misunderstood as well.

Observant Jewish men wear a garment called "arba kanfot" which is really a kind of short scapular [indeed, I think the Catholic scapular derived from it] with fringes at the four corners in accordance with the Biblical injunction . These fringes are twisted and knotted in a certain way to equal the number of commandments in the Torah. Usually, this garment is worn under one's shirt, but some Jews will allow the fringes to protrude outside their trousers, and some ultra-Orthodox wear it over their shirts.

There is a story in the Talmud that once, an eminent rabbi found himself in a brothel [exactly how this happened I don't know], and as he was about to succumb to temptation, the fringes rose up and smacked him in the face, and he came to his senses and left the place.

I see the wearing of the religious habit in much the same way. It has the dual function of proclaiming one's vocation to the outside world while providing a visible reminder to the wearer of the intention to live a particular form of life.

As a nurse, who has been through the "white starch" phase, and then the "colored pantsuit" phase, and now sees scrub suits [formerly only worn in the OR] everywhere, I remember well when nurses in psychiatric units were first told to stop wearing uniform as a means of making it easier for patients to relate to them. For one thing, the nurses had to develop a separate wardrobe of clothes for work, with all the attendant fuss of deciding what to wear when, instead of just putting on a uniform. And it developed that patients, already having a problem figuring out what reality really was, now didn't see people they could easily identify as nursing staff, and it confused them even more!

I sometimes think that nuns who wear "civvies" must, at least occasionally, find it a bit harder to maintain their spirituality. I don't mean this as a criticism; after all, formation is meant to foster one's internal spiritual powers, and shouldn't depend on externals. But the habit, when it is worn, is a kind of support, I would think.

dominicansoul

my fave habit is the Dominican habit. Having sewed one myself and worn it, and saw all the intricacies of it and the beauty and richness of its symbolism...no other habit compares...

...i used to hug my habit at nite when i hung it up... a habit is a sacramental...it is blessed and it is holy....it is the suit of armour for all religious....

a bit of trivia here: who is the fashion designer who chose the Dominican habit as his favorite, in that it hangs gracefully and offers a beautiful, pure, strong feminine presence?

Oscar de la Renta