An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gluten Intolerance And Religious Life?

LadyOfSorrows

LadyOfSorrows

So, the other day, a blood test confirmed that I have a gluten intolerance. 'Twas a major shock! I've never had problems with gluten until maybe 9 or 10 months ago. Very tiny amounts are okay for me but anything more and I feel sick to my stomach. Which is a shame...I love my pastas!

I am also noticing that I am running into many people at my university who have a gluten intolerance. The number seems to be rising...I could be wrong...but a recent statistic I heard reported 1 out of every 5 people now have some sort of gluten sensitivity. I'm guessing this is due to how our wheat products are processed today.

Has anyone had any experience asking orders about this? Or about any other dietary restrictions?

LaPetiteSoeur

As far as the wafers (before Consecration), an order of sisters worked with Texas A &M to create low gluten hosts (I think that's the story...a few years ago there was a HUGE commotion about this in NJ because some woman wanted her daughter to receive a rice cracker instead of the actual Host and then the bishops got involved so the local Catholic paper did tons of stories about low-gluten hosts).

I know some sisters with allergies to nuts or apples, and they are fine. Just email them and say "I found out I have an allergy, what is your policy regarding this?" If the order is mendicant, I'm sure the circumstances are different than orders who are not.

Good luck, and prayers about your allergies! My friend has a gluten intolerance and she feels so much better now that she's not eating gluten.

For more on low-gluten hosts: [url="http://www.altarbreadsbspa.com/lowgluten.php"]http://www.altarbreadsbspa.com/lowgluten.php[/url]

If you're interested in religious life (mentioned in the title, but not in the post), I should think this order would low-gluten friendly in the dining room, too.

MissScripture

Like Ameliabedelia said, the Nashville Dominicans are gluten-intolerant friendly, along with many other dietary restrictions. I would guess that larger orders are more likely to be able to accommodate dietary things like gluten-intolerance than smaller orders, just because they are more likely to have multiple people who need the same thing, but that's just a guess.
I remember when my sister was discerning, she asked all sorts of questions about some of the most random things. I don't think any orders would be surprised to be asked if they can accommodate dietary needs.

An extended family can't have any gluten, she recently asked our pastor how she could recieve. So she is allowed to go up for the chalce. Our pastor has one just for her to use.

I have a sensitivity to catfish, I can't say Im alleric to it but hours after I eat it .... well I'll save you the details. :P
but the one convent I was discerning it was fine with it.

Edited by JessicaKoch

[quote name='JessicaKoch' timestamp='1329284622' post='2387361']
An extended family can't have any gluten, she recently asked our pastor how she could recieve. So she is allowed to go up for the chalce. Our pastor has one just for her to use.

I have a sensitivity to catfish, I can't say Im alleric to it but hours after I eat it .... well I'll save you the details. :P
but the one convent I was discerning it was fine with it.
[/quote]

I know what you mean about "sensitivity" because I experience the same thing after eating scallops. It is NOT a pretty sight. I get so sick. I don't know why it's just that one thing that bothers me. But it happens every time I eat scallops. For a long time, I thought I was iodine sensitive and couldn't eat any shellfish. Slowly, I started experimenting by adding crab, lobster, shrimp, mussels, etc. The day I tried scallops again for the first time since that last stomach issue, well, you can guess what happened. I'm just so glad I nailed the exact thing that causes the problem and so GRATEFUL that I am not sensitive to all shellfish because I LOVE crab. :drool:

Anyway, if I ever enter an order (by some miracle), I am going to have to tell them I am lactose intolerant and I cannot eat scallops. The dairy issue is resolved by Lactaid and I am able to drink Skim Milk without taking anything because it possesses no milk fat to cause problems. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329285958' post='2387365']
I know what you mean about "sensitivity" because I experience the same thing after eating scallops. It is NOT a pretty sight. I get so sick. I don't know why it's just that one thing that bothers me. But it happens every time I eat scallops. For a long time, I thought I was iodine sensitive and couldn't eat any shellfish. Slowly, I started experimenting by adding crab, lobster, shrimp, mussels, etc. The day I tried scallops again for the first time since that last stomach issue, well, you can guess what happened. I'm just so glad I nailed the exact thing that causes the problem and so GRATEFUL that I am not sensitive to all shellfish because I LOVE crab. :drool:

Anyway, if I ever enter an order (by some miracle), I am going to have to tell them I am lactose intolerant and I cannot eat scallops. The dairy issue is resolved by Lactaid and I am able to drink Skim Milk without taking anything because it possesses no milk fat to cause problems. :)
[/quote]

If you can drink non-modified skim milk, then you are not lactose intolerant. Lactose is a sugar and is found in all non-modified milk no matter what the fat content. If you are lactose intolerant that means you have low levels of the enzyme needed to digest the lactose sugar. Because you don't digest that sugar, the bacteria in your gut will digest it, with varying consequences. Lactaid supplies you with the enzyme you are missing allowing you to digest the lactose.

If you are reacting to the fat content of the milk, then you have another kind of problem. It is possible to buy milk which has the lactose predigested. Could it be the skim milk you are comfortable with has the lactose pre-digested?

I know you're probably adjusting to your diagnosis, but it will be okay. As far as orders are concerned, this is definately going to be a case by case basis. Just be upfront and informative about it. Some orders may not understand what having a gluten allergy entails so come with your facts. In my former order we had a pre-postulant who was vegan so cooking and food prep was a bit modified.

But be upfront and all should be good!

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1329312195' post='2387401']
If you can drink non-modified skim milk, then you are not lactose intolerant. Lactose is a sugar and is found in all non-modified milk no matter what the fat content. If you are lactose intolerant that means you have low levels of the enzyme needed to digest the lactose sugar. Because you don't digest that sugar, the bacteria in your gut will digest it, with varying consequences. Lactaid supplies you with the enzyme you are missing allowing you to digest the lactose.

If you are reacting to the fat content of the milk, then you have another kind of problem. It is possible to buy milk which has the lactose predigested. Could it be the skim milk you are comfortable with has the lactose pre-digested?
[/quote]

I was diagnosed by my physician as being lactose intolerant. If I don't take Lactaid before I eat ice cream, coagulated milk, butter made with cream, or non-skim milk, I get a very nasty stomach ache and bloating. This is from the NIH website:

[quote]
[b]Most people with lactose intolerance do not require a completely lactose-free diet.[/b]
Studies show that there are some things people with lactose intolerance can do to have fewer symptoms of lactose intolerance:[list]
[*][b]Drink low-fat or fat-free milk in servings of 1 cup or less.[/b]
[*][b]Drink low-fat or fat-free milk with other food, such as with breakfast cereal, instead of by itself.[/b]
[*]Eat dairy products other than milk, such as low-fat or fat-free hard cheeses or cottage coagulated milk, or low-fat or fat-free ice cream or yogurt. These foods contain a lower amount of lactose per serving compared with milk and may cause fewer symptoms.
[*]Choose lactose-free milk and milk products, which have the same amount of calcium as regular milk.
[*]Use over-the-counter pills or drops that contain lactase, which can eliminate symptoms altogether
[/list]
[/quote]

Skim milk has never posed a problem for me. I don't know why, but it doesn't. Lactose intolerance runs in my family, too, on my mother's side. My uncle, grandmother, 2 aunts, a cousin, and my sister all have problems digesting dairy.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Even so, if you are lactose intolerant it is because you don't have enough enzyme (lactase) to digest all of the milk sugar (lactose) that you are consuming. I think the key in your highlighted sentences is the "1 cup or less" and consuming the milk with food to dilute it. Many lactose intolerant people have low levels of the enzyme and can handle small amounts of milk. The fat content is irrelevant. If you do a bit of a search you will find the passage you quoted is presented word for word on a variety of different web sites. It is impossible to say where that was originally posted or who originally wrote it. So, you don't know if it was an expert on lactose intolerance who wrote it or someone with another agenda. Just because it is on the internet that doesn't make it true.

This is a site which gives the reference for its information (at the bottom of the page), so you know the source: [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001321/"]http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001321/[/url]
This site says nothing about fat content.
In our family we are dealing with celiac disease, lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorbtion ( a real fun one) and irritable bowel disease. At one point our son could eat only 9 foods including parsnips and mushrooms. He is better now and can tolerate more foods, but he cannot tolerate wheat or lactose at all and fructose only in small amounts. I'm glad you can tolerate some milk, it certainly makes life easier.

I'm sorry if I seem over the top on this, but it is important to me that correct information be given out on the internet.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1329401586' post='2387927']
Even so, if you are lactose intolerant it is because you don't have enough enzyme (lactase) to digest all of the milk sugar (lactose) that you are consuming. I think the key in your highlighted sentences is the "1 cup or less" and consuming the milk with food to dilute it. Many lactose intolerant people have low levels of the enzyme and can handle small amounts of milk. The fat content is irrelevant. If you do a bit of a search you will find the passage you quoted is presented word for word on a variety of different web sites. It is impossible to say where that was originally posted or who originally wrote it. So, you don't know if it was an expert on lactose intolerance who wrote it or someone with another agenda. Just because it is on the internet that doesn't make it true.

This is a site which gives the reference for its information (at the bottom of the page), so you know the source: [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001321/"]http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001321/[/url]
This site says nothing about fat content.
In our family we are dealing with celiac disease, lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorbtion ( a real fun one) and irritable bowel disease. At one point our son could eat only 9 foods including parsnips and mushrooms. He is better now and can tolerate more foods, but he cannot tolerate wheat or lactose at all and fructose only in small amounts. I'm glad you can tolerate some milk, it certainly makes life easier.

I'm sorry if I seem over the top on this, but it is important to me that correct information be given out on the internet.
[/quote]

Lumiere, no offense, but I didn't post this to get information. I was responding to the topic at hand. I'd appreciate if we could just let this go. Thanks. :)