An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gluten Intolerance And Religious Life?

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='somethingfishy' timestamp='1329423099' post='2388051']
[url="http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png"][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png[/img][/url]
[/quote]

:hehe2:

No problem, I realize I get a little overboard on this (yes the that could be me in the xkcd comic). By the way, we just found out today that another child will have to live the rest of her life with fairly severe dietary restrictions...and so it goes.

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1329439319' post='2388197']
No problem, I realize I get a little overboard on this (yes the that could be me in the xkcd comic). By the way, we just found out today that another child will have to live the rest of her life with fairly severe dietary restrictions...and so it goes.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that. It can't be easy at all. One of my friends has a daughter with severe allergies to food and environmental factors. I thank God that I don't have to worry about what I eat most of the time.

I was born with gluten intolerance, peanut allergy, tongue stuck to the bottom of my mouth and learning difficulties which put me back a grade. I am so thankful though, that I was able to overcome all of them (except for the gluten allergy because I will have that for life)!
I'm now trying to find a convent that would accept me despite my gluten allergy.
:nun1:

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329526154' post='2388742']
I was born with gluten intolerance, peanut allergy, tongue stuck to the bottom of my mouth and learning difficulties which put me back a grade. I am so thankful though, that I was able to overcome all of them (except for the gluten allergy because I will have that for life)!
I'm now trying to find a convent that would accept me despite my gluten allergy.
:nun1:
[/quote]
I was only able to overcome them with God's help though! :saint2:

AccountDeleted

Every community I have been in (including the really strict Carmel) have all made allowances for a person's dietary restrictions, if they are indeed a medical condition and not simply a preference. At one Carmel, the Prioress and Sub-Prioress were both lactose intolerant and another, I think one or two of the sisters were also.

At OLotR, we had guests come and go, and I remember one who was celiac and one who was allergic to beef and a couple of other things, and since the sisters prepared all the meals and delivered them to us, they always made special food for those who needed it, and they do have a couple of sisters with dietary problems as well.

It might be that a rare community chooses not to accept applicants with any medical conditions, including dietary, but some of these things are bound to be diagnosed after profession, so they would still have to take them into account at some point because they can be life threatening. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think that something like this would be a deal breaker these days.

For me, I tried to figure out what was making me sick (and I would get very ill). It was only when I didn't eat gluten that I was all better. I could get a blood test but that would mean that I would have to eat gluten that would inevitably make me sick again. The only way to get an accurate blood test concerning gluten intolerance in when gluten is in your system. Do you think religious communities would take this into account since I was not diagnosed by a medical professional? I remember one time when I has a McDonalds milkshake and I was in complete pain for 10 hours straight! I was bed ridden. (I bet they thicken the milkshakes with something containing gluten.)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329607716' post='2389049']
For me, I tried to figure out what was making me sick (and I would get very ill). It was only when I didn't eat gluten that I was all better. I could get a blood test but that would mean that I would have to eat gluten that would inevitably make me sick again. The only way to get an accurate blood test concerning gluten intolerance in when gluten is in your system. Do you think religious communities would take this into account since I was not diagnosed by a medical professional? I remember one time when I has a McDonalds milkshake and I was in complete pain for 10 hours straight! I was bed ridden. (I bet they thicken the milkshakes with something containing gluten.)
[/quote]

Yes, I understand. Only yesterday I was watching this segment on the Today Show about gluten allergies and how one has to be eating it in order to take the tests. Since each community is different, I would just let them know that you have an intolerance to gluten and then see what they say about whether a test is necessary or not.

When I went into some Carmels, I was asked to provide all sorts of documentation so I expected the same thing this time, but when I asked what they wanted in the ways of references, medical, birth certificates, confirmation etc etc, the nun said that I should definitely keep all these important documents safe, but all they required was for for me to write a short bio of my life (which I haven't done yet).

So all I'm saying is that each community is different, and you shouldn't worry too much in advance about what they need. Put your trust in God to remove all obstacles along the path that He has made for you.

I bet the [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/166"]Carmel in Alexandria, SD[/url] would have no problem with it. They have a few Sisters who are lactose intolerant and they got goats and switched the entire community to goats milk instead. It works for them. They raise/grow a lot, if not most, of their own food too.

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1329760496' post='2390071']
I bet the [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/166"]Carmel in Alexandria, SD[/url] would have no problem with it. They have a few Sisters who are lactose intolerant and they got goats and switched the entire community to goats milk instead. It works for them. They raise/grow a lot, if not most, of their own food too.
[/quote]

LOL, I wouldn't be able to last in that community. Even though I am lactose intolerant. I tried goat's milk and goat's milk cheeze and BLECH! :x :hehe2: