An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Nuns "what ____ Says I Will Do" Meme

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1330056976' post='2392095']
My friends are all asking me why I want to go into "solitary confinement." Albeit most of my friends are SoBap... and Penny... or lukewarm Catholics... then my good Catholic friends. Oh and my secular, atheistic friends. So most of them have an ignorant and set-in-stone view of religious life. My friends in PE gave me a nice little nick-name. They think it's funny but it really is offensive. (BTW-people all found out because of a few friends who thought it was just "a joke") The nick-name is Mother *work used for floozie that starts with an S* Nun. It's funny how Google, society, and perversions shape the view of religious life. Then there are the people that think nuns are all old widows. Then those who just think it's stupid and will tell you you are waisting your life.

Being in the habit and getting the death stares and rude comments [b](those were fewer than the "Oh, hello sister" :D I had to explain I wasn't a sister.... haha)[/b] really opened my eyes to the negative view religious life has in the eyes of much of the public.

ANYWAY, I LOVE THESE MEMES. Have you seen the youth minister and catholic priest ones?
[/quote]

Perhaps the habit fit, in more ways than one :)

I think it's great - you got a sneak peek of how people are around 'you-as-a-sister' that most of us can only take guesses at. The closest I've got is when my nuns had to go to a parish because their priest couldn't make it one Sunday. I was walking at the back of the group, just in my normal clothes, but the people at the parish reaaally treated me as one of them. Which was flattering at first, but also annoying (to my ego that is) because although they were very respectful, their eyes sort of glazed over the whole group and didn't see any of us individually. It really made me think.

Anyway, I hope you had fun! Did you get any pics?

(Sympathise with all the other comments, btw - I've had them all and so have a couple of other nunnabe friends. Not much you can do except s.uck it up with a smile and pray for them.)

Edited by marigold

Re: Orthodox novice photo

What's up with that middle bottom photo? It seems dirty with her lack of clothing and all...

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1330124526' post='2392531']
Re: Orthodox novice photo

What's up with that middle bottom photo? It seems dirty with her lack of clothing and all...
[/quote]

Have you never seen the 'slutty nun' costumes in stores around Halloween?

my best friend is a franciscan sister. she gets to come home for 2 weeks in august after completing her canonical year. her family has a lake house and she loves riding the waverunner. i'm willing to bet a good chunk of change that when she comes home she'll be riding the waverunner in her habit :D :D

this is brilliant btw!! sent to to all my discerning friends :) ps- what's the priest one? can someone post it here?!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1330277546' post='2393222']
my best friend is a franciscan sister. she gets to come home for 2 weeks in august after completing her canonical year. her family has a lake house and she loves riding the waverunner. i'm willing to bet a good chunk of change that when she comes home she'll be riding the waverunner in her habit :D :D

this is brilliant btw!! sent to to all my discerning friends :) ps- what's the priest one? can someone post it here?!
[/quote]

Now, that's something I'd like to see.

Katiebobatie94

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1330124921' post='2392544']
Have you never seen the 'slutty nun' costumes in stores around Halloween?
[/quote]

yes oh my gosh!! its soooo bad!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Sigh. I've had a hard time with the grille thing. I mean, other people have a hard time with it. My mom told one of her friends that I wanted to be a cloistered nun, and the lady started crying. Seriously? And then, my Godmother told me that she didn't know that there were nuns that "didn't do anything". SERIOUSLY? UGH. It has been very, very hard getting people to understand that I am not shutting myself out.

All with humility and patience...

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1330438038' post='2394013']
Sigh. I've had a hard time with the grille thing. I mean, other people have a hard time with it. My mom told one of her friends that I wanted to be a cloistered nun, and the lady started crying. Seriously? And then, my Godmother told me that she didn't know that there were nuns that "didn't do anything". SERIOUSLY? UGH. It has been very, very hard getting people to understand that I am not shutting myself out.

All with humility and patience...
[/quote]

Yes, humility, love, and patience are the key. Of course my order doesn't have a grille, but they do wear habits... the veils covering all of their head, they are transferred about every three years, and they can visit family every three years. It's not too bad but I know my parents, siblings, and relatives won't take that well.

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1330279644' post='2393234']
Now, that's something I'd like to see.
[/quote]

ME TOO! lol :) i think that might make my life

When I was in grad school for theology, there was a Franciscan sister (full habit) that I became friends with. When I showed up one day in my husband's tiny Mercedes 2-seater convertible, of course she wanted a ride with the top down. Wow, did her veil fly!

At my oldest daughter's high school, they took photos for fundraising. One of the pics was of their science teacher (who at the time - we're talking 1990 - was at least 110 according to the kids!) sitting astride a giant Harley motorcycle. She was in full Dominican habit wieldinig a ruler. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of it.