An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Is Your Discernment Going?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1329851445' post='2390721']

I'll pray.

But I was just wondering, why get a GED?
All the Seminaries I know of are colleges, and most colleges would prefer a degree... Even Seminary ones.
[/quote]

Well, this is a huge misconception. Seminaries are colleges. If you only have a high school diploma or its equivalent, they send you to Minor Seminary for four years to get a bachelor's degree. Here, you learn things like philosophy and theology. Then after that, you go to Major Seminary for four to five years. Both of these are completely different Seminaries.

As for why a G.E.D., I'm home schooled, and since I make my own curriculum, I have to get my G.E.D. I have no other choice except follow a program like Seton, or go to public school. I don't want to do either of these. I'd rather get it all done in one day when I'm sixteen instead of studying endlessly until I'm eighteen. Besides, unlike the government, the Catholic schools treat them the same as high school diplomas. Catholic colleges are very home school friendly.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329851892' post='2390725']

Well, this is a huge misconception. Seminaries are colleges. If you only have a high school diploma or its equivalent, they send you to Minor Seminary for four years to get a bachelor's degree. Here, you learn things like philosophy and theology. Then after that, you go to Major Seminary for four to five years. Both of these are completely different Seminaries.
[/quote]

Actually, I knew that, about the major and minor. Most of my guy friends are seminarians. I just wasn't sure if there was a sort of "seminary" that wasn't exactly a "college". I hadn't heard of it, but I don't presume to know everything in the world....

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329851892' post='2390725']
As for why a G.E.D., I'm home schooled, and since I make my own curriculum, I have to get my G.E.D. I have no other choice except follow a program like Seton, or go to public school. I don't want to do either of these. I'd rather get it all done in one day when I'm sixteen instead of studying endlessly until I'm eighteen. Besides, unlike the government, the Catholic schools treat them the same as high school diplomas. Catholic colleges are very home school friendly.
[/quote]

Ah, you're homeschooled. I see. I forget that lots of homeschoolers can't get actual diplomas, because most of my friends and I received one. But, we were with Seton, MDG, IWE and curriculums like that. And, yes, the coursework is hard/lengthy. My little brother dropped the full enrollment, and I didn't get ahead in grade levels. (My genius little sister did/does 2 grades a year. I have no idea how she manages it). I wish I had the brains to finish school a year early!

My question was out of pure curiosity, btw. Thank you for answering.

I'm trying to focus on growth and Lent, while being patient and open to God's will in both religious life and marriage. The two orders haven't gotten back to me, which could mean they are busy, God closed doors, or wrong timing. I'm praying for God to open the right doors to what He wants for my life, and for the grace to notice where He is leading me... I feel I have tried my best with those two orders and feel it's up to God to direct my steps and show me His will.

Daily Adoration is really helping me slow down and focus more on God than myself.

I'm kind of half and half with my discernment. I found the community I think I'm called to. It's beautiful and it felt like coming home. I was on a retreat there and now I really want to go on a live-in. But I had real problems when I told my mother I was discerning, so bad I ended up telling her I wouldn't think about any more. I'm not really sure how to go from here. So on the one hand I'm really excited and happy about it but one the other hand I'm terrified.

My discernment is going pretty well. I'm currently waiting (no so patiently though) to see how some dates are going to work out. I'm looking forward to Lent as a time to really renew myself. Though I know that in some ways I will have to put my discernment on the "back burner" for a bit since I am a sponsor/Godmother in the RCIA program. My first responsibility is to be there for my catechumen and I can't do that if I am spiritually somewhere else.

FP. This is just my impression from your post. I think before you discern further, you should stop a moment and seriously consider a possible need for you to grow in holy indifference. When we want something so, so very badly it's too easy and convenient to conflate our wants with God's will. Not saying thats whats happening with you. But it has been a red flag in my own discernment.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1329862981' post='2390825']
FP. This is just my impression from your post. I think before you discern further, you should stop a moment and seriously consider a possible need for you to grow in holy indifference. When we want something so, so very badly it's too easy and convenient to conflate our wants with God's will. Not saying thats whats happening with you. But it has been a red flag in my own discernment.
[/quote]

Thank you for your concern. I really do appreciate it. It's not that I'm not open to marriage, it's that I feel called to the Priesthood. There have been brief days (not recently, but about five months ago) where I thought I was surely called to marriage, but I didn't think I was called to marriage for a good reason. I felt I was called to marriage out of lust. I always immediately snap out of it in that day or in the next. It never goes further than that. Throughout my life since I was ten, I have been getting tugs towards the Priesthood and Religious life. From visiting EWTN and watching a girl enter the Monastery to having the idea just randomly come into my mind. At first, I denied it, because I didn't like it. I wanted to be a rock star and get married, and Jesus needed to get with the program. However, after three years of saying no, I gave in, and I let Jesus change my life. Thinking that I may be called to be a Priest saved my soul from the clutches of lust, and I've been letting Jesus better myself and take the wheel ever since. I want to bring people to experience the great joy I have, to administer the sacraments to them, particularly the sacrament of reconciliation, which I have grown very close to. Do you know why Priests wear black? Because black is the color of death, and it symbolizes the Priest dying to himself. That appeals so much to me. Marriage is great, but it simply doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't bring the smile and happiness to my face that the Priesthood does, and I think I really have a calling. When I was fourteen before Lent, I made the brave choice to listen to Jesus. I'm fifteen now, and I feel more sure now than ever.

JMJT

Future Priest, do you have a spiritual father that you trust to talk about your vocation with? If you have an FSSP church by your home, they are wonderful in giving advice! God bless you. And know we are all praying for you!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Briananne' timestamp='1329882219' post='2390991']
JMJT

Future Priest, do you have a spiritual father that you trust to talk about your vocation with? If you have an FSSP church by your home, they are wonderful in giving advice! God bless you. And know we are all praying for you!
[/quote]

I do have a Priest that I have talked to once about this, and I plan to see him again. My father says I can go see him once a month if he has the time, so that is very exciting for me, as I've never had regular contact with a Priest. This Priest is the Priest that told me about the FSSP, and I am very grateful he did.

Unfortunately, though, there are no FSSP Churches in the nearby area. I've never even met a Priest with the FSSP, as far as I know, so it will be exciting to one day meet one. However, my Diocese really needs Priests, so I'm considering the Diocese a lot as well, and I'm also discerning with the Franciscan Brothers Minor, so I always have them to consider.

LaPetiteSoeur

Well, my mom is going to help me visit the sisters this summer!! I can pay for it (yay for Christmas money), I just needed help finding the best flights!

This is a big step and I so very excited! :nun2: :nun2: :nun2:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1330032230' post='2391862']
Well, my mom is going to help me visit the sisters this summer!! I can pay for it (yay for Christmas money), I just needed help finding the best flights!

[/quote]
YAAAAAAAAAY!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1330032230' post='2391862']

[/quote]

That's great news. :amen:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1330034934' post='2391877']
LPS that is wonderful news! You must be over the moon :)
[/quote]

I am at peace--which in the past has indicated I am on the right path. :) Any news?

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1330119394' post='2392463']
I am at peace--which in the past has indicated I am on the right path. :) Any news?
[/quote]

Nope, except that I decided to stop being resentful and turn my indefinite unemployment into an extended retreat! :) Today I got an email from Mother, started translating a book, and ate lots of cheesy food in preparation for Lent which starts on Sunday evening. :popcorn2: All good nunly occupations.