An Old School Catholic Message Board

Incest And Adam+Eve

Ice_nine

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330714999' post='2395352']
[url="http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/who-was-cains-wife"]http://www.answersin...-was-cains-wife[/url]
[/quote]
The reading was going along fine until it got to the 6,000 year part. Human have been here FAR longer than that. :) I have Clovis point arrowheads older than that, and recently archaeological discoveries in Chesapeake point to human presence just in North America 13,000 years ago.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][left]Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b][left][url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/p/popejohnpa144236.html"]Pope John Paul II[/url][/left][/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1330716725' post='2395360']

The reading was going along fine until it got to the 6,000 year part. Human have been here FAR longer than that. :) I have Clovis point arrowheads older than that, and recently archaeological discoveries in Chesapeake point to human presence just in North America 13,000 years ago.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][left]Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b][left][url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/p/popejohnpa144236.html"]Pope John Paul II[/url][/left][/b][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
How were all these things you listed dated?

Science purifies religion from error? How is that? Evolution is considered a fact by science while the bible teaches us that we are made in the image of God. Also there is no physical evidence that supports Darwinian evolution yet it is taken as factual by science books and totally is against the teachings of the bible.

Edited by Louie

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1330716725' post='2395360']

[/quote]

Is that quote from the pope infallible?

As a believer in the bible as the final authoritative Word...I look at science in light of the bible not the bible in light of science.

One more thing to consider...science has never revealed error in the bible yet the bible has revealed errors in science and continues to do just that. Science books are continued to be rewritten and changed while the bible has remained the same.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330720490' post='2395385']
One more thing to consider...science has never revealed error in the bible yet [b]the bible has revealed errors in science and continues to do just that.[/b] Science books are continued to be rewritten and changed while the bible has remained the same.
[/quote]
Fascinating! Examples please.

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330719022' post='2395379']
Is that quote from the pope infallible?
[/quote]
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on Gods plan of the mission of the Pope, in which case there's a high possibility that he is correct. But you don't have to believe anything the Pope says for salvation. Refer to the lawmakers answer to Jesus on the criteria to attain eternal life.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

The truth of the Bible and the truth of science should not contradict each other.

The Bible remained the same until someone in the 16th century removed some books he didn't agree with.

[quote]The truth of the Bible and the truth of science should not contradict each other.[/quote]

That's because the Sacred Scriptures are not history or science books. The point of Scripture is Christ.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330722782' post='2395408']

That's because the Sacred Scriptures are not history or science books. The point of Scripture is Christ.
[/quote]

Scriptures contain both history and science within them. I do agree that scriptures do point us to the most important One and that is Jesus!

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1330722634' post='2395404']
The truth of the Bible and the truth of science should not contradict each other.

The Bible remained the same until someone in the 16th century removed some books he didn't agree with.
[/quote]

Don't mean to disappoint you but they do to some extent that is when you speak of truth and what is taught as truth.

As for you comment on the removal of the apocrypha books that's a whole different subject that has nothing to do with this. If you would like to talk about that then I suggest you start another forum and we can do that there. That's my opinion but from past experiences I think that would be best.

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330722976' post='2395409']
Scriptures contain both history and science within them. I do agree that scriptures do point us to the most important One and that is Jesus!
[/quote]

My point is that, one does not need to take the Scriptures literally to find truth in them. Example, the Creation. I believe that God did indeed create everything seen and unseen in our universe (maybe multiverse). However, I also accept evolution because of the evidence that has been presented. The idea that God could not have created in such a way is rather silly to me. It was simply the way the ancients tried to explain the world around them. That doesn't take away the truth that God the Father Almighty created everything through His Word.

That is why such a question, "incest and Adam and Eve" doesn't mean much to me. I doubt that such a couple existed, but I do believe in the fall. Genesis is true, but it is not literally true.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1330722144' post='2395396']

Fascinating! Examples please.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on Gods plan of the mission of the Pope, in which case there's a high possibility that he is correct. But you don't have to believe anything the Pope says for salvation. Refer to the lawmakers answer to Jesus on the criteria to attain eternal life.
[/quote]

These examples will take some time for me to post and that at this moment I don't have the time to do so. I will get back to you later on this if you truly want them.

Archaeology cat

Since we've gotten off-topic, the Bible doesn't state the age of the earth. There is no reason to think a "day" was 24 hours (it could have been, but it needn't have been). The genealogy doesn't prove the age, either. Genealogies often omitted people (compare some of the genealogies for examples of this). Stratigraphy, radiocarbon dating, potassium-argon dating, uranium dating, and dendrochronology <b>all </b>point to an earth older than 6000 years old. I do not believe God tricks us, and we can see Him and learn about Him in the physical world.

God bless

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330723860' post='2395417']

My point is that, one does not need to take the Scriptures literally to find truth in them. Example, the Creation. I believe that God did indeed create everything seen and unseen in our universe (maybe multiverse). However, I also accept evolution because of the evidence that has been presented. The idea that God could not have created in such a way is rather silly to me. It was simply the way the ancients tried to explain the world around them. That doesn't take away the truth that God the Father Almighty created everything through His Word.

That is why such a question, "incest and Adam and Eve" doesn't mean much to me. I doubt that such a couple existed, but I do believe in the fall. Genesis is true, but it is not literally true.
[/quote]

How can you say that when Jesus Himself quoted from Genesis speaking from in the beginning and the important declaration that God made to Eve as to her seed. I think it is important to the fact that if one part of the bible is not literally true then the whole in itself cannot be literally true. We need to believe the bible in its whole. My thoughts and my opinion in which I believe in. I once didn't believe in the whole Jonah and the giant fish then realized that Jesus made reference to it. I don't Jesus would be comparing His death and resurrection to a tale of some sort.