An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Wouldnt God The Father Take A Body ?

So I've been learning a lot about mormonism. One of their beliefs is God the Father has a body. He was even a man on another planet before and earned his way to become God. Ok I know this is croutons and makes mormonism a complete JOKE. My question is though why wouldn't God the Father have a heavenly body ? I know from scripture we know He's invisble and spirit. But having a body is good. If we make it to heaven we will have perfect bodies. I'm really excited for this. Why wouldn't the Father want a body also ? Do we know for 100 percent sure that He doest or never has ? Godbless.

Because God the Father is invisible and cannot be seen; anyone who has seen Christ, then, has seen the Father. No one can look upon the face of the Father and live.

God the Father is not a human and has no body. God transcends form; beyond gender and beyond language. Beyond human comprehension.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330275714' post='2393210']
Because God the Father is invisible and cannot be seen; anyone who has seen Christ, then, has seen the Father. No one can look upon the face of the Father and live.

God the Father is not a human and has no body. God transcends form; beyond gender and beyond language. Beyond human comprehension.
[/quote] Great answer and that's how I understand it and believe it. But sometimes I wonder why He wouldn't want a body to chill with the angels or whoever. Could He ever take form as an angel if He wanted to ? Are these questions we have no answers to or can't be sure? Or do we know for a complete fact He will never take human or angelic form ? Godbless.

Edited by Guest

[quote]But sometimes I wonder why He wouldn't want a body to chill with the angels or whoever. Could He ever take form as an angel if He wanted to ? Are these questions we have no answers to or can't be sure? Or do we know for a complete fact He will never take human or angelic form ? Godbless. [/quote]

God never gets weary nor tired, so He has no need for a body to "chill" with the angels or anyone else. There is no reason as to why He should.

Could He take the form of an angel? Yes. Would He? No, because He is not an angel. (Warning, Orthodox Theology ahead that people here will most likely take issue with!) Again, I believe God the Father is ultimately unknowable in His essence and makes Himself known through His energies. I liken that to an example found in Exodus, when God tells Moses, "My face shall not be seen, but you will see my back". His "face" or His essence, cannot be seen or known. His "back" is His energies, the way in which He makes Himself known to us. In reality, God the Father has no face or back.

In the end, yes He could, but again; He has already done so and makes Himself known through His Son.

Edited by Selah

Ok gotcha. I guess I see having a Heavenly perfect body as a really good thing. No negatives to it. When I said chill with the angles I meant that in a good holy way. Something that would be desired to do. Mabey one day He would want to play 21 with Jordan, Jesus, Kobe, and Lebron. I guess not though.

Edited by Guest

God is being itself. Bodies are limited -- finite. It is not possible for [i]being[/i] to take a physical form as we understand it, and thus is incomprehensible.

Hellooooooo!!!

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__mokxbTmuJM/RwRA6evzxlI/AAAAAAAAA0g/0ker-wdAuwo/s400/061420071144235808.jpg[/img]

Seriously people, do I have to do everything?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1330275380' post='2393209']
So I've been learning a lot about mormonism. One of their beliefs is God the Father has a body. He was even a man on another planet before and earned his way to become God. Ok I know this is croutons and makes mormonism a complete JOKE. My question is though why wouldn't God the Father have a heavenly body ? I know from scripture we know He's invisble and spirit. But having a body is good. If we make it to heaven we will have perfect bodies. I'm really excited for this. Why wouldn't the Father want a body also ? Do we know for 100 percent sure that He doest or never has ? Godbless.
[/quote]

We do believe that God the Father has a body. However, the idea that he was a man on another planet and earned his way to becoming a God is speculation--not doctrine. It may very well be, as you say, croutons.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1330278203' post='2393228']
Ok gotcha. I guess I see having a Heavenly perfect body as a really good thing. No negatives to it. When I said chill with the angles I meant that in a good holy way. Something that would be desired to do. Mabey one day He would want to play 21 with Jordan, Jesus, Kobe, and Lebron. I guess not though.
[/quote] Haha. I appreciate your analogy. But then again, we don't really know what Heaven is going to be like, so it's hard to speculate on stuff like that and have any real truth. When I think about Heaven or life after the Second Coming, I think about the Space Trilogy, by CS Lewis. He talks about that stuff at length in those books. You should check em out!

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1330286359' post='2393275']
Bodies also change -- are mutable. God is immutable. Therefore, God doesn't have a body.
[/quote]

See this is one of those subjects that gets tricky. God the Father has not revealed himself through incarnation. But God the Son has.

It's threads like this where people could potentially start talking about tritheism without even knowing it

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1330286359' post='2393275']
Bodies also change -- are mutable. God is immutable. Therefore, God doesn't have a body.
[/quote] Whoa Whoa I'm talking heavenly glorified body. I was never talking human body. You guys thought I meant that ?

[quote name='SanctitasDeo' timestamp='1330286529' post='2393277']

We do believe that God the Father has a body. However, the idea that he was a man on another planet and earned his way to becoming a God is speculation--not doctrine. It may very well be, as you say, croutons.
[/quote] I take it youre mormon. Joseph Smith the founder of your church said "heavenly father" was a mortal man on another planet. He worked his way to become god. Furthermore when he was a mortal man he had a heavenly father. Again this is the founder of your church who stated this. He also said the christian creed was an abomination and all churches were trash.