An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Wouldnt God The Father Take A Body ?

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1330287403' post='2393279']
Haha. I appreciate your analogy. But then again, we don't really know what Heaven is going to be like, so it's hard to speculate on stuff like that and have any real truth. When I think about Heaven or life after the Second Coming, I think about the Space Trilogy, by CS Lewis. He talks about that stuff at length in those books. You should check em out!
[/quote] I will check it out. Thanks brother.

We will have glorified bodies. Christ will be-and is-glorified, as described in the book of Revelation.

The Father, and even the Spirit, have not revealed themselves in the same way as The Son has, yet it is through the Son that the Father is known. The Father never had a body, so there would be no need for Him to have a body (part of this is why icons of God the Father were forbidden by the Seventh Ecumenical Council, because it is impossible to depict the Invisible.)

[quote]It's threads like this where people could potentially start talking about tritheism without even knowing it[/quote]

Nah. God is one, in three persons; all three persons of the Holy Trinity are of the same essence, yet they are also three Divine Persons (i.e., the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, but the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are God.) I would worry that people would start talking about modalism rather than tritheism. That is a hole many people fall into when speaking of the Holy Trinity.

so what is the idea of the beatific vision? Do we see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Will our senses be able to perceive them? I mean I can picture seeing Jesus, vaguely of course, although I'm sure the image will be too glorious to withstand without imploding in on myself. But to SEE God, all three Persons . . .

thinking about this makes my head start somersaulting.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330299290' post='2393370']
Nah. God is one, in three persons; all three persons of the Holy Trinity are of the same essence, yet they are also three Divine Persons (i.e., the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, but the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are God.)
[/quote]
Sounds a bit scary. Three grains of salt are of the same essence and constitute the one substance of salt but one is not the other. Sounds a bit divisive! And does not rule out the possibility of more persons also being classified as the one God, which is a must. (ruleout) I'm sticking with the common answer 'We don't understand what the trinity is'.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

[quote]Sounds a bit divisive![/quote]

A paradox, yes. But that is how God reveals Himself to us.

[quote]'We don't understand what the trinity is'. [/quote]

We do, and at the same time, we also know what it not.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1330323967' post='2393513']
so what is the idea of the beatific vision? Do we see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Will our senses be able to perceive them? I mean I can picture seeing Jesus, vaguely of course, although I'm sure the image will be too glorious to withstand without imploding in on myself. But to SEE God, all three Persons . . .

thinking about this makes my head start somersaulting.
[/quote]
Mere men including sinners were able to look at Jesus, but unbelievers did not see God. As a person of faith/love when you look at Jesus you will see God, the vision will be the most incredible yet not stressful in the slightest. His presence is amesome yet very calming.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330382296' post='2393750']
A paradox, yes. But that is how God reveals Himself to us.
[/quote]
I see it more as a series. To find God we look for the Son. The way to the Father is through the Son. When we see the son we see the Father

What do you mean we do understand? If you could explain the Relationship of the Holy Spirit it would remove a giant question mark for me.

[quote]What do you mean we do understand? If you could explain the Relationship of the Holy Spirit it would remove a giant question mark for me. [/quote]

Well, when I stated that we knew, I meant that we know what has been revealed...we may not understand it to its fullness, but we know that this is how God reveals Himself to man. We also know what it is not: i.e., there are not three gods, God does not have three "parts" or "modes", and so forth.