Ice_nine Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 so what is the idea of the beatific vision? Do we see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Will our senses be able to perceive them? I mean I can picture seeing Jesus, vaguely of course, although I'm sure the image will be too glorious to withstand without imploding in on myself. But to SEE God, all three Persons . . . thinking about this makes my head start somersaulting.
Mark of the Cross Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330299290' post='2393370'] Nah. God is one, in three persons; all three persons of the Holy Trinity are of the same essence, yet they are also three Divine Persons (i.e., the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, but the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are God.) [/quote] Sounds a bit scary. Three grains of salt are of the same essence and constitute the one substance of salt but one is not the other. Sounds a bit divisive! And does not rule out the possibility of more persons also being classified as the one God, which is a must. (ruleout) I'm sticking with the common answer 'We don't understand what the trinity is'. Edited February 27, 2012 by Mark of the Cross
Selah Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 [quote]Sounds a bit divisive![/quote] A paradox, yes. But that is how God reveals Himself to us. [quote]'We don't understand what the trinity is'. [/quote] We do, and at the same time, we also know what it not.
Mark of the Cross Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 [quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1330323967' post='2393513'] so what is the idea of the beatific vision? Do we see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Will our senses be able to perceive them? I mean I can picture seeing Jesus, vaguely of course, although I'm sure the image will be too glorious to withstand without imploding in on myself. But to SEE God, all three Persons . . . thinking about this makes my head start somersaulting. [/quote] Mere men including sinners were able to look at Jesus, but unbelievers did not see God. As a person of faith/love when you look at Jesus you will see God, the vision will be the most incredible yet not stressful in the slightest. His presence is amesome yet very calming.
Mark of the Cross Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 [quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330382296' post='2393750'] A paradox, yes. But that is how God reveals Himself to us. [/quote] I see it more as a series. To find God we look for the Son. The way to the Father is through the Son. When we see the son we see the Father What do you mean we do understand? If you could explain the Relationship of the Holy Spirit it would remove a giant question mark for me.
Selah Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 [quote]What do you mean we do understand? If you could explain the Relationship of the Holy Spirit it would remove a giant question mark for me. [/quote] Well, when I stated that we knew, I meant that we know what has been revealed...we may not understand it to its fullness, but we know that this is how God reveals Himself to man. We also know what it is not: i.e., there are not three gods, God does not have three "parts" or "modes", and so forth.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now