An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Week With The Benedictines Of Mary, Queen Of The Apostles

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

So,
It's taken me a while to really post this, most of all because I dont know exactly where I am standing in my vocation but I thought it would be good to type it all down.

Getting through the airport was surprisingly easy. I have never had such an easy flight and I praise God that I didnt sit next to any creeps. My dad made sure that I would be in relatively straightforward airports and I sat in pretty decent seats.

I was greeted in the airport by one of the Benedictines dearest friends. Mrs. S came with her husband and her great grandson who shared the same name and looks of my younger brother. Mrs. S liked me so much that she asked to pick me up again from the priory when it's time for me to come home.

It was late evening when I arrived so I didnt see anything other than the magnificent chapel and the huge kitchen in the priory. The vocation director Sr. Scholastica met me at the door, and broke grand silence for me. All of the other nuns were sleeping and we tried to be as quiet as possible. When I had a little snack (I hadn't eaten supper) she gave me some ground rules, telling me where I would be seated and to ignore the bell for matins etc.

But that didnt really make a difference because I was really awake from the plane. I woke up just before mass as she directed though. My dress that I wore the most (blue jumper huge pockets) looked exactly like their blue aprons. And I was the only one in light colours. So I felt a little out of place.

Seeing a group of nuns in one place for the first time was amazing. I have only ever seen 2 nuns at a time, and their were twenty women in front of me adoring Jesus. After mass was breakfast and Sr. Scholastica told me I was going to be working in the kitchen today.

The hardest part about kitchen duty was not knowing where everything went. And I struggled with that the entire week.

Fr. Mark Bachmann OSB also came in on Tuesday and he was staying at the priory as long as myself. We got along quite nicely (Most Canadians get along with eachother) and exchanged some funny stories about my brothers in seminary and their novices at Clear Creek.

Fr. Bachmann held confrences almost every day. The first one was on St. Scholastica whose feast day was 3 days before he came.

At free time I went downstairs and played violin. I hadn't been downstairs before and it was really neat to see all of the things I have viewed on the internet. The violin made some awful noises and I felt really out of place, but it was mandatory that I play every day (performances coming up) so the nuns had to put up with me for an entire week.

Did I mention that I got my own bathroom? That was the secondary highlight of my night when I first got there.

I will write about the second day later today or tommorrow, but for now I have things to fulfill at home..
In Christ
IPC

TheresaThoma

Sounds like things started out really well! I look forward to hearing more of your adventures!!

InPersonaChriste

The second day I worked with Sister Tarcisia and postulant JoAnna. I got to work outside. It was the most wonderful thing I have done since moving to a city. I got dirty, stinky, and sweaty. The best feeling ever is getting that way, but it had it's challanges because we could not hear the bell during our work. I was given a watch and I had to clean myself up before chapel. I thought i could just throw my jumper back on, but then I realized that my shirt was also absolutely filthy.

The cow licked me and it created a little round scabby wound on my arm, but I got to milk her (I haven't milked in ages!) and lead her to pasture. When Sr. JoAnna and I were scooping manure we had a nice chat. She asked me about Monarchy and things about Canada, and then she said she was sorry for asking because she really shouldn't be talking. But I didn't mind :)

It was a very good experience outside, just working and being able to hear people (because they didn't whisper outside).

The Third day was a sewing day. Woe to the Novice who has to wear the dress I hemmed. The best part about day three (other than mass :D!) was the walk at recreation. I had a very nice chat with some of the sisters, and I was even able to snap a couple of pictures like my parents wanted me too.

The fourth day I finally made it to Matins and Lauds. I was very confused, the candidate helped me though, flipping pages for me. After Mass I got to work with Sr. Emmanuel who I really liked. It was interesting, I didnt think I would like working with her at first but she is the most darling woman. She has a great sense of humour and she knows how to make you feel a little less awkward (or at least that is how she made me feel).

We were putting up a steel shelf and I caught a box of bolts really quietly. It was an excellent catch, but then I walked backwards into some steel poles and some paint buckets. Lets just say the sewing room was never quiet when I was in it. At least Sister Mary Josepha got a laugh.

Sunday was good. I had pie for breakfast (I have never had pie for breakfast) and then played violin outside. My fingers got very cold, so eventually I gave up and found a book (which was hard because their were so many good ones!). After dinner I did some cleaning up and then found myself at the piano, I played for quite some time until I was politely asked to stop. On my last song (Dawn from P&P) Sr. JoAnna ran downstairs and shouted "Pride and Prejudice!" and laughed. it was wonderful that she knew what I was playing. We stayed quiet about it until recreation, turns out that she knows the piece Georgianna which is far more technical and beautiful.

Sixth day was leaving day. I spent time back in the kitchen and I left just before Rosary. I wasn't able to say goodbye to any of the sisters except for Mother Cecilia, but it was beautiful anyways. I did feel quite at home there, and God willing I will return someday. But for now I need to go to bed!

AccountDeleted

I am so glad that you have found a place where you feel at home. Best wishes and prayers for you. Yay Benedictines!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1330772338' post='2395612']
I am so glad that you have found a place where you feel at home. Best wishes and prayers for you. Yay Benedictines!
[/quote]
Thank you very much!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1330834432' post='2396007']
YAY! I'm so happy for you! They are a really beautiful community!
[/quote]

Yes they are! They are all so wonderful! They released their Winter newsletter 2012 this morning.

TheresaThoma

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1331073723' post='2397007']
Yes they are! They are all so wonderful! They released their Winter newsletter 2012 this morning.
[/quote]
Oooo! I will have to go take a look!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1331085813' post='2397074']
Me while reading this:

aww.
Yay.
woot.
YAY!
awwwwwwwww
lol.
etc etc

but, mostly YAY
[/quote]

hahaha! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

[quote name='MessorCarus' timestamp='1331086638' post='2397078']
Your time with them sounds lovely. Many prayers for you!
[/quote]

Thank you so much!

Queen'sDaughter

It sounds like you had a lovely visit, IPC. Did you ever spend time in the library watching the sunrise while the sisters chanted Lauds?

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1331157866' post='2397392']
It sounds like you had a lovely visit, IPC. Did you ever spend time in the library watching the sunrise while the sisters chanted Lauds?
[/quote]

Ahh I am afraid that I never got time! Either I was in Lauds (divine office is so beautiful!) ummm.. or I was asleep.. hahahaha!

IPC I'm so happy for you! I was always checking back to see if you posted more! :)

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1331161823' post='2397416']
Either I was in Lauds (divine office is so beautiful!)
[/quote]

Yes, it is so beautiful! Confusing at first though!