An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Week With The Benedictines Of Mary, Queen Of The Apostles

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1331165694' post='2397439']
IPC I'm so happy for you! I was always checking back to see if you posted more! :)

Yes, it is so beautiful! Confusing at first though!
[/quote]

Definitely! But Matins was the most confusing,....

Queen'sDaughter

Matins was confusing! But I loved it. It seemed so medieval and otherworldly, like I had stepped back into an older world.

Has anyone noticed just how many Bennies there are on the phorum now? It seems to me that in an earlier post I predicted that the Benedictines would take over. AND WE ARE! :dance4:

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1331243537' post='2397874']
Matins was confusing! But I loved it. It seemed so medieval and otherworldly, like I had stepped back into an older world.

Has anyone noticed just how many Bennies there are on the phorum now? It seems to me that in an earlier post I predicted that the Benedictines would take over. AND WE ARE! :dance4:
[/quote]

yes, it seems to come in phases!

Sr. Scholastica e-mailed me yesterday. They are having a fruitful lent.

Sr. JoAnna watched the royal wedding live (something I forgot to mention) and she was so happy to talk to me about it. Apparently no one really knew who they were.. Which is strange to me because I have been familiar with it all my life. She was really thankful to know that The Duchess of Cambridge isn't pregnant yet. It was a funny chat.

AuthorOfMyLife

They have a TV of some kind? (re: watching the wedding).

I think the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, are stunning. I actually exchanged a few letters with Sister Scholastica (who was very nice). At the time she didn't really think I was suited for their order, but maybe if I can visit someday (after all, it was only three emails and a snail mail) we might be surprised. (Not trying to doubt her authority or vision here--she just didn't get to meet me).

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

DevotedtoHim

I have been writing to them, also. I hope to visit. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Katherine

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1331253253' post='2397948']
They have a TV of some kind? (re: watching the wedding).

I think the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, are stunning. I actually exchanged a few letters with Sister Scholastica (who was very nice). At the time she didn't really think I was suited for their order, but maybe if I can visit someday (after all, it was only three emails and a snail mail) we might be surprised. (Not trying to doubt her authority or vision here--she just didn't get to meet me).
[/quote]

This was before she entered, sorry for not being specific!

That is wonderful! Sr. Scholastica is very nice, I am glad you had a chance to discuss things with her!

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' timestamp='1331258541' post='2398004']
I have been writing to them, also. I hope to visit. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Katherine
[/quote]

Thanks Katherine! May God bless you on your discering journey!

AuthorOfMyLife

Yes, she was very sweet! She sent me a reply (to my snail-mail letter) on a piece of paper with colorful hot-air balloons on it (I thought it was funny and so "use-what-is-available" nun-like).

She thought I didn't belong with them because of my interest in writing (I think I emphasized this is a specific skill too much when I talked with her)--and because she said the community was rather "primitive" (she explained that she meant everyone in the community does everything, with not so much specialization). Anyway, she was very kind.

God bless!

Edited to add: Thank you for clearing up the TV question!

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

IPC, also I was thrilled that you play the violin! I have played the violin now for almost six years and am in love with it! :)

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1331310959' post='2398245']
IPC, also I was thrilled that you play the violin! I have played the violin now for almost six years and am in love with it! :)
[/quote]

That is wonderful! I dont know what I would do without music as a hobby. I have been playing for eleven years and I love knowing people who play! So many beautiful talents there! Sr. Benedicta played in a symphony!

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1331310887' post='2398244']
Yes, she was very sweet! She sent me a reply (to my snail-mail letter) on a piece of paper with colorful hot-air balloons on it (I thought it was funny and so "use-what-is-available" nun-like).

She thought I didn't belong with them because of my interest in writing (I think I emphasized this is a specific skill too much when I talked with her)--and because she said the community was rather "primitive" (she explained that she meant everyone in the community does everything, with not so much specialization). Anyway, she was very kind.

God bless!

Edited to add: Thank you for clearing up the TV question!
[/quote]

yes I have quite a few letters on some intersting paper!

I adore writing as well but it's more of a practical skill than a specific thing for me. It is wonderful that you write though, and I encourage you to do it more!

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you, InPersonaChriste!

I'm working on a short-story collection right now (I have two stories, thus far (another older story is more of a novelette and so won't be included) and I'm working on a third).

I also love the violin--I've tried to learn it, but what with typing a lot and being prone to hand problems, violin playing is so hard on my hands and arms! I can fiddle a little with my siblings (banjo and guitar lovers), but that's it! How lovely that you have been playing for so long and love it so much! I imagine the sisters enjoyed hearing you play.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1331392712' post='2398653']
Thank you, InPersonaChriste!

I'm working on a short-story collection right now (I have two stories, thus far (another older story is more of a novelette and so won't be included) and I'm working on a third).

I also love the violin--I've tried to learn it, but what with typing a lot and being prone to hand problems, violin playing is so hard on my hands and arms! I can fiddle a little with my siblings (banjo and guitar lovers), but that's it! How lovely that you have been playing for so long and love it so much! I imagine the sisters enjoyed hearing you play.
[/quote]

That is so razzle dazzle! I am slowly working on a novel, but its more of something just for fun than something I take seriously.

They said they enjoyed my violin playing, but I did feel like I was intruding upon their silence.

AuthorOfMyLife

Wow! How neat about the novel! Sometimes I think that writing done for fun is often better than writing done seriously (I'm not entirely joking as I personally tend to worry about the quality of the writing so it takes a long time to finish anything).

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1331411560' post='2398747']
Wow! How neat about the novel! Sometimes I think that writing done for fun is often better than writing done seriously (I'm not entirely joking as I personally tend to worry about the quality of the writing so it takes a long time to finish anything).
[/quote]

Definitely!

• 2 weeks later...

Do these sisters have a daily holy hour or prolonged periods of Eucharistic adoration? I thought I read something on their old site but I cannot seem to find it now.

• 1 month later...
InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Piobaire' timestamp='1332191234' post='2404125']
Do these sisters have a daily holy hour or prolonged periods of Eucharistic adoration? I thought I read something on their old site but I cannot seem to find it now.
[/quote]

They do have Exposition during the week.