An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dsmme Is Moving Their Novitiate

mantellata

Just interesting news for those who follow all things Dominican:

[url="http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120301/LIVING/120309964/1017"]http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120301/LIVING/120309964/1017[/url]

Queen'sDaughter

Can't wait until they arrive! We need something to dilute the Franciscans in this diocese! :P

Pax_et bonum

http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2012/03/st-felix-oratory-blessed-dominican-sisters-of-mary-welcomed/

Does anyone know thier attrition rate (for lack of a better term)? With that many postulants and novices, how many stay to be solemnly professed?

It's interesting, if you go to the PCPA's website and click under "What's New" (or something like that) they FINALLY explain what's happened at the monastery and why the number of sisters has dropped to 20, Yes 20!! The exoplanation certainly covers SOME of the drop in numbers, but not all. And IMHO, it's a bit lame (don't blast me for that assessment, please. It's just how I feel).

One aspirant left in the Fall, a second year novice left in the early winter (she discerned her vocation was to be cloistered) and a postulant just left before lent. That's not very many. I don't know the statistics, but these orders all seem to see about the same percentage of girls leave for one reason or another. What wonderful training they have to carry with them in life.

HopefulBride

I think the focus though should not be on how many are leaving and/or go to final vows (I am [i][b]not [/b][/i]chastising or anything of the sort) I think the courage that it takes these young women to move forward in faith and continue to say yes to the Lord (even when yes means to leave a community they may soo want to stay in) to fully discover His will for them.

As I prepare to enter in August (God-willing) all I can think is, Lord I'm saying yes today and will continue to say yes as long as you are calling me to this community. Should you call me to marriage or a different life down the road, I ask for the courage to continue to say yes. I know that it took me a lot to stop focusing on what if I don't leave and what others may say, but I realize that everything is a discernment until final vows, just like being engaged is a discernment until one receives the sacrament of marriage.

Edited for spelling

Edited by HopefulBride

I certainly didn't mean to focus on the entering/leaving/vow taking. And yes, it is courageous for young women to say "yes". I just find it interesting as the postulant/novice classes are so large.

HopefulBride

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1331427832' post='2398883']
I certainly didn't mean to focus on the entering/leaving/vow taking. And yes, it is courageous for young women to say "yes". I just find it interesting as the postulant/novice classes are so large.
[/quote]

I didn't mean that you were FC, it's just that in the past we've talked a lot about coming/leaving/vows on PM and as someone who is hoping to enter in a just a few months it's scary thinking about the what ifs; I try to live my yes one day at a time and focus on being faithful to that yes. If I were to think about the future as a religious I think fear of not persevering would stop me!

Edited by HopefulBride

If you look at what the greatest needs of the Church are at any given time, you probably could guess what order(s) would have a great abundance of vocations. The Dominicans educate the young (no need to say more on that) and were founded to fight Albigensianism which may seem to be doctrinally different than many heresy’s today, it has the same fundamental attack on the dignity of human life and is rampant in secular society. The traditional Franciscan orders who are most closely aligned with the original rule and intent of St. Francis are seeing a flood of vocations too and when one considers the Church during St. Francis' time it's not surprising either. Some are called to these orders to be edified and sanctified that they may bring it to their future families and communities and others to remain in the order. Our church community has been greatly blessed by a few young people who spent a year or more in an order and then returned home-to college and jobs, sharing with us the riches they received while in formation.

Edited by andibc

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331435946' post='2398936']
If I were to think about the future as a religious I think fear of not persevering would stop me!
[/quote]

Eeep! Me too.

HopefulBride

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1331508593' post='2399216']
Eeep! Me too.
[/quote]

Good to know I am not the only one who feels this way