An Old School Catholic Message Board

Today Rendered Me Utterly Speechless

PhuturePriest

BarbTherese

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331429713' post='2398893']
I told him about this the first time I spoke with him, as stated in my original thread. It isn't usually a problem, and it's not as if I can't fix it. I just need some classes to help me is all. King George VI stammered and he was still able to be King and deliver speeches. In fact, he was a much worse case than I am. Besides, this would definitely not be a problem for any Religious Community. If this was going to stop me from entering a Community, that Community should really question its eligibility requirements. It's not as if I can't speak, I simply hate talking on phones, as phones are very difficult for me, which is characteristic for people that stammer. If I knew him in person and was able to speak with him personally it wouldn't be half as bad. Last August at the Midwest Catholic Family Conference I spoke to tons of people (Religious in particular) and I didn't have a problem.
[/quote]

I am afraid my short term memory is not good which is why I did not recall what you wrote in your opening post. Over 35 years on psychiatric medication plus my now 66yrs has left a mark.

Very happy to read that any speech problem that may present itself is no impediment to religious life you seek. I hate talking on phones too - the telephone for me is for making appointments only. I just can't sustain a long telephone conversation and prefer a personal meeting. I would never be one to isolate in any way a person with some difficulty in life - I suffer Bipolar Disorder. Thankfully and very thankfully indeed it has rarely been troublesome over the past ten years. But this no reason to hold that it wont be in the future.

I am just happy to read that all is unfolding well for you.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1331446075' post='2399010']
I am afraid my short term memory is not good which is why I did not recall what you wrote in your opening post. Over 35 years on psychiatric medication plus my now 66yrs has left a mark.

Very happy to read that any speech problem that may present itself is no impediment to religious life you seek. I hate talking on phones too - the telephone for me is for making appointments only. I just can't sustain a long telephone conversation and prefer a personal meeting. I would never be one to isolate in any way a person with some difficulty in life - I suffer Bipolar Disorder. Thankfully and very thankfully indeed it has rarely been troublesome over the past ten years. But this no reason to hold that it wont be in the future.

I am just happy to read that all is unfolding well for you.
[/quote]

Oh, don't worry about it. I simply want you to know that he has been well-aware of the problem since I first called him. He senses a problem and asked if I had asthma or something, and so I explained and he was fine from then on. I'm sure if this affects my eligibility he would've told me right then.

Well, according to my book phone calls are no longer to be avoided, especially on my worst days. How fun.

Thank you. It's not quite unraveling, as I still need to discern between them and the Diocesan Priesthood, but I'll hopefully know at some point in my life. :P