An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Stammering

PhuturePriest

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxk_voXZch0&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxk_voXZch0&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/url]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1331514209' post='2399253']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxk_voXZch0&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/media]
[/quote]

Please have respect. This is very important to me.

I do respect your stammering problem and am glad you're working to deal with it. My video is a horse saying "nope." This is in response to your question about starting the discussion over. My answer is nope, because sometimes it is best to recognize a lost cause (the discussion) for what it is.

Peace be with you.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1331515768' post='2399278']
I do respect your stammering problem and am glad you're working to deal with it. My video is a horse saying "nope." This is in response to your question about starting the discussion over. My answer is nope, because sometimes it is best to recognize a lost cause (the discussion) for what it is.

Peace be with you.
[/quote]

It doesn't have to be over. It was simply sidetracked.

This is Phatmass. Things are never on track, and trying to get them back [i]on [/i]track is usually unfruitful.

Soon, someone will post a picture of pork and beans in this thread, if you wait long enough.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1331515943' post='2399281']
This is Phatmass. Things are never on track, and trying to get them back [i]on [/i]track is usually unfruitful.

Soon, someone will post a picture of pork and beans in this thread, if you wait long enough.
[/quote]

But why? Why can't we stay on topic just for once for something that is important to me? Certainly this is possible?

Sweetie, everyone has a thread that's really important to them get derailed at least once. Sometimes, important threads get buried under less important ones. Sometimes that's just what happens here. There are a lot of us, and not everyone is in the same mindset.

People did give you serious responses (MIKolbe, ArchCat, nunsense et al.). Take those for what they're worth. You gotta take the bad with the good.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1331516897' post='2399291']
Sweetie, everyone has a thread that's really important to them get derailed at least once. Sometimes, important threads get buried under less important ones. Sometimes that's just what happens here. There are a lot of us, and not everyone is in the same mindset.

People did give you serious responses (MIKolbe, ArchCat, nunsense et al.). Take those for what they're worth. You gotta take the bad with the good.
[/quote]

I'm simply saying people need to get their priorities straight. Why is speaking about some video made to annoy people more important than this? I'm not saying this is the most important thread in the world, but it's the most important one that I've made. And I'm certainly not saying everyone should feel obligated to trip over themselves to talk on this thread, but I always make it priority to help people in need. I always speak to friends about their problems. Not because I particularly want to, but because they come to me about them. I joke that I do this so much I'll have a bachelors degree in therapy by the time I'm eighteen.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331517537' post='2399295']
I'm simply saying people need to get their priorities straight.
[/quote]

Might I suggest you read again everything that nunsense said to you? I know that you don't intend it, but much of what you say reeks of arrogance and pretentiousness. Part of being on an online forum is tone. We cannot hear your voice or see your face, but we can read your words. You are coming across as having a huge temper tantrum, not only in this thread, but elsewhere.

If you are looking for others here to treat you with respect, compassion and understanding, perhaps you should pray on how you can best do the same for all of us. Pray while you post. Choose your words carefully. Ask how someone else might perceive what you are trying to say.

It takes work, especially if you're not used to an environment like this, but you CAN do it. You say that in person everyone says you are well-mannered, etc. We want to see that, too.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1331519917' post='2399325']
Might I suggest you read again everything that nunsense said to you? I know that you don't intend it, but much of what you say reeks of arrogance and pretentiousness. Part of being on an online forum is tone. We cannot hear your voice or see your face, but we can read your words. You are coming across as having a huge temper tantrum, not only in this thread, but elsewhere.

If you are looking for others here to treat you with respect, compassion and understanding, perhaps you should pray on how you can best do the same for all of us. Pray while you post. Choose your words carefully. Ask how someone else might perceive what you are trying to say.

It takes work, especially if you're not used to an environment like this, but you CAN do it. You say that in person everyone says you are well-mannered, etc. We want to see that, too.
[/quote]

It was sarcasm at most. I'm simply saying that if a thread about ponies is more important to you than a thread about a real issue concerning a human being, you better be a five year old girl. If not, you need to put yourself in an adult environment. I am all for having fun, and I am in fact not mad at all, simply a little frustrated. But all I am saying is I always give people my full attention and help them out, and I would just love it if for once someone would do that for me as well. I am always talking about other people and their problems and their interests. I almost never get to talk about me and my problems and my interests. And when I do mention something I like or something I believe in, I'm shot down in flames for one reason or another. I just want equality. I would like it if just for once people could bite their tongue and listen to me, if when people critiqued me they would say "I'm not sure what you're trying to say, really. Are you saying *blank*, or did I get that wrong?" instead of "I can't believe you just said that... You need to learn some maturity, mister". Why can't someone ask me just for once if they misunderstood me or if I perhaps worded it wrong? I'm not angry, I'm simply asking. I need to know why I am treated differently. Am I being Punked or something?

Edited by FuturePriest387

elizabeth09

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331443266' post='2398994']
As many of you may know, I have stammered throughout most of my life (Since I was about four). I am reading a self-help book by the Stuttering Foundation and am going to buy The King's Speech to inspire me (And because it's just so amesome). Please pray for my success. It will be a long, hard, and sometimes depressing struggle. Anyone that has watched The King's Speech at least has an idea of just how frustrating it can be, and how terrible it makes you feel. It is quite vital that I succeed, as because when/if I am a Priest I will need to speak quite often, and it is also quite vital because it will give me a lot of self-confidence that I have never had before. You can imagine how terrible it is and how much self-hatred can come from not even being able to order your food at a restaurant or simply speak to someone, especially when trying to tell a joke or a story.

However, in the meantime, in this self-help book I get the feeling that I should talk with it about others, so I might as well do it in real life and on the internet. I'm not quite sure how to start, so I would appreciate it if someone else could spark the conversation first.
[/quote]

If it was not for King George VI`s wife, then England might be a little different.

IcePrincessKRS

I'm simply saying people need to get their priorities straight. Why is speaking about some video made to annoy people more important than this? I'm not saying this is the most important thread in the world, but it's the most important one that I've made. And I'm certainly not saying everyone should feel obligated to trip over themselves to talk on this thread, but I always make it priority to help people in need. I always speak to friends about their problems. Not because I particularly want to, but because they come to me about them. I joke that I do this so much I'll have a bachelors degree in therapy by the time I'm eighteen.
[/quote]

Perhaps most haven't said anything about this subject (so near and dear to your heart) because they have no experience with it. Not everyone is going to have the same priorities as you. This is the type of topic that can sink or swim, not because we don't care but because we have zero experience and therefore zero beneficial input. We can't give something we don't have.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1331522543' post='2399370]
Perhaps most haven't said anything about this subject (so near and dear to your heart) because they have no experience with it. Not everyone is going to have the same priorities as you. This is the type of topic that can sink or swim, not because we don't care but because we have zero experience and therefore zero beneficial input. We can't give something we don't have.
[/quote]

Well, I just don't know what to do, then. I don't know anybody with this problem, and I need to talk to somebody about it. It's too awkward to talk about it with family members, and I have no friends in real life that I would even think of talking to about this. They would all just be uncomfortable and awkward about it.

Vincent Vega

[/quote]
I'm going to preface what I'm about to say with this: I understand that a lot of people on this forum have either been homeschooled or have chosen to homeschool their children. I respect the right of those individuals to have done so, and I am sure that there are many benefits to homeschooling, both personally and academically. I also recognize that there are many, many faults with both the public and private systems of schooling. That said...
From this post, it is clear that you haven't really had to deal with any kind of antagonist ("bully"). Rule number one if somebody is saying something that you don't like or don't care about is: just ignore them.
If nothing else, be grateful that people are BSing on your thread. That will at least keep it bumped to the top where somebody who actually has something to contribute might see it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1331526144' post='2399408']
I'm going to preface what I'm about to say with this: I understand that a lot of people on this forum have either been homeschooled or have chosen to homeschool their children. I respect the right of those individuals to have done so, and I am sure that there are many benefits to homeschooling, both personally and academically. I also recognize that there are many, many faults with both the public and private systems of schooling. That said...
From this post, it is clear that you haven't really had to deal with any kind of antagonist ("bully"). Rule number one if somebody is saying something that you don't like or don't care about is: just ignore them.
If nothing else, be grateful that people are BSing on your thread. That will at least keep it bumped to the top where somebody who actually has something to contribute might see it.
[/quote]

I have dealt with a real "bully" before. He wasn't very nice, and he in fact slapped me in the face and tried to run me over with his bike. However, I am not used to this. I grew up in a very respectful environment. If someone disagreed, they respectfully disagreed, and they would say something like "I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you saying blank, or am I not hearing this correctly?" There was never anything like the responses I'm getting here. It's simply baffling to me. However, you have words of gold: ignore, ignore, ignore!